The Last Leg with Adam Hills Page 5

Quote: Chappers @ 17th February 2020, 8:08 PM

In Yesteryear most comedians didn't bother with political comedy in case they alienate half of their potential audience.

In other words, Tommy Griff's point was bollocks. Enough said!

Quote: chipolata @ 17th February 2020, 6:47 AM

Could you to list these colossi of right wing comedy of yesteryear?

Once I got my head around your quirky form of grammar and punctuation, I could provide an answer.

It's really quite amusing that you're passively and slightly aggressively asking me to provide you with names of comedians from previous years, of a right-wing nature (in other words, comedians not sensitive to playing-up to the mick taking of those who don't fall in line with political correctness)

Bare in mind that none of us truly know a comedian's political preference, but we are free to judge them on a style of comedy. The following comics were not afraid to piss take and mock a variety of classes, be it satire or true in nature.

Mike Reid
Jim Davidson
Lee Hurst
Freddie Starr
Les Dawson
Billy Connolly
Bob Monkbouse

Am I saying these were right wingers? Who knows? But I would guess their style and stance on comedy would not be accepted today.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 19th February 2020, 5:05 PM

Mike Reid
Jim Davidson
Lee Hurst
Freddie Starr
Les Dawson
Billy Connolly
Bob Monkbouse

Billy Connolly would have been fine now. The talented ones on that list would just be doing a different sort of act now, ones less reliant on "My mother in laws so fat..." jokes, or jokes about the wife. And Jim Davidson would definitely not be doing Chalkey white, which would not be a great loss to comedy.

And one of the reasons comedy has changed is a lot of comedians of yesteryear came through the working men's club circuit, in which they tailored their material to a very narrow white uneducated male audience, hence the over reliance on ugly wife jokes etc., Comedians now tend to come up through the comedy circuit, including a lot of universities, which means their acts have to be tailored to a broader more diverse audience.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th February 2020, 6:48 AM

the working men's club circuit ... a very narrow white uneducated male audience ...

Comedians now tend to come up through the comedy circuit, including a lot of universities...

Extremely patronising, probably racist and certainly "classist".

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th February 2020, 9:12 AM

Extremely patronising, probably racist and certainly "classist".

But true. Working men's clubs weren't known for their broad demographic, and the comics they helped generate often reflected that (Stan Boardman, Frank Carson, Bernard Manning etc). Although they did also produce the excellent Dave Allen, so there were some diamonds amongst the dreck.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th February 2020, 9:47 AM

But true. Working men's clubs weren't known for their broad demographic, and the comics they helped generate often reflected that (Stan Boardman, Frank Carson, Bernard Manning etc). Although they did also produce the excellent Dave Allen, so there were some diamonds amongst the dreck.

Why are you assuming all of the aforementioned comedians I listed only tailored their material at supposed uneducated, white people? That kind if language you used has been used time and time again in modern day politics and there is little wonder why certain parties are doomed.

This is so off topic I am surprised some of our posts have not been closed!

And probably most of them had actually worked!

Quote: chipolata @ 5th February 2020, 6:43 AM

We're still waiting!

Also, we have a free market economy, so to a large extent the lack of right-wing comedians could be put down to the fact that people don't want to see them. Or at least the people who consume most comedy aren't that interested in them.

The economy is (broadly) free market, and indeed less PC, boundary-pushing comics like Geoff Norcott, Leo Kearse, Alastair Williams, and Andrew Lawrence have strong online followings, and do well when they tour.

However, the comedy industry is not a free market: it is heavily guarded by gatekeepers of various forms, be they radio commissioners, TV producers, venue proprietors or club bookers.

Quote: chipolata @ 17th February 2020, 6:47 AM

Could you to list these colossi of right wing comedy of yesteryear?

David Croft, Jimmy Perry, Jeremy Lloyd, Eric Sykes...