Hated characters in otherwise great comedies? Page 6

Quote: zooo @ 21st October 2016, 7:59 PM

Ha, I love him!

I always hated Tyres in Spaced.

Me too, the actor/comedian/whatevs who played him turned up in Time Gentlemen Please the other day (which I was watching on DVD) and he still annoyed me. Maybe it was his 90s hair?

Quote: zooo @ 29th January 2017, 8:13 PM

I vaguely remember Joe now. I could have done without Kev himself.
And I wish Karl Pilkington had stayed on.

Oh, I loved Kev - his character cut through all of that schmaltzy crap. I wonder if Gervais had ever visited a local authority care home during his research?

I always hated Mike in the Young Ones :D The other 3 are so hilarious that he wasn't even necessary... either get him out or give him good jokes :)

Quote: judgmentalchevrolet @ 4th February 2019, 1:48 PM

I always hated Mike in the Young Ones :D The other 3 are so hilarious that he wasn't even necessary... either get him out or give him good jokes :)

It seems that Mike was originally to be played Peter Richardson (of Comic Strip fame) but he had some sort of disagreement with producer Paul Jackson. Keith Allen was then offered the role but also fell out with Paul Jackson. Mark Arden and Timothy Spall were next in line but, at the end of the day, the job went to Christopher Ryan.

I have absolutely no idea why he got the job except perhaps that they thought his height of 5 feet would be funny for audiences to look at. Did audiences find non-standard body sizes hilarious in 1982? Yes, I think they did actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U91YYAuMTI

Alan Davies in QI
For me he ruins a generally good show with his childish supposedly humour.

He never says anything witty or off the cuff, just mimes things and doesnt know when to stop.
He bleeds all over Sandy Toksvig and you can see she is annoyed at times.

They should have 4 new guests each time and throw him out.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th February 2019, 10:00 AM

Alan Davies in QI

He never says anything witty or off the cuff.

An outrageous slur! :O

I've just watched the latest episode and Alan makes several witty and/or off-the-cuff remarks.

My memory tells me that he's done so in every episode since QI began.

He may not be everybody's cup of tea but, to be fair, I can't think of a comedian who is.

This could be actor as well as character, but primarily Squadron Leader Clive Dempster in Hi De Hi. He gets on my tits so badly that when I bought the DVDs, I didn't buy the ones he appeared in and so only watched sort of half the series. It remains that way today - I will never watch those episodes.

And bugger me if he didn't then appear in Keeping Up Appearances as Josephine Tewson's (I REALLY like her) brother Emmet, which I believe is an ant!! And from the IMDb it seems he hasn't worked on TV since then - I'm not surprised.

But S/L Clive Dempster DFC - UGGHH!! He makes my flesh creep.

I don't know if everyone was like this in the time. But James Twelvetrees from You Rang'M Lord. Possibly the snobbish and one of the most annoying characters in sitcoms. He was a total snob, looking down on people under him because of the stupid status thing and was still a snob even though he knew it wasn't peoples' fault they were in the position they were. He was even reluctant to give Mabel money, because she would never pay it back and stopped her wages when she was late. He was just a horrible character. Maybe a lot of servants was like this back then.

That was the head servant character that Holland played? Yes I think he was written to be like that because they were often like that. Some of the worst snobs I've met were working class bred who couldn't wait to be seen as a cut above and start looking down on people. Shame but that's humanity.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th May 2019, 7:59 PM

That was the head servant character that Holland played? Yes I think he was written to be like that because they were often like that. Some of the worst snobs I've met were working class bred who couldn't wait to be seen as a cut above and start looking down on people. Shame but that's humanity.

Holland, played the footman, so just beneath the butler. 2nd in command in terms of servants.

Dobbie in Peep Show. I liked her at the start, but eventually I grew to hate her. Also, Sophie. By the end I wasn't too keen on her either.

I think it was established that the cook is just below the butler. The footman is less important than these two.

You shouldn't hate anyone except Matt Cardle because he kissed my favourite Spice Girl, but Polly is the weakest Fawlty Towers character. I know she's a kind of conciliator but she verges on the twee, especially the art student angle. I love it when Basil sends her up in the last episode.

For me there a lots in Frasier which is a bit odd because it's my favourite sitcom.
All of Daphne's family have to go ,together with his agent and Bulldog.All of them extremely annoying and not the least bit amusing.

Daphne's family are pretty dire, not least because of the atrocious accents.