The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 42

Terence Frisby, age 87. Writer of There's a Girl in my Soup, which ran for over 1,000 performances in the West End from 1966 to 1973 - a record for a comedy show at the time - and was also a worldwide hit, including on Broadway. Starred various actors during the course of its West End run including Donald Sinden, Jon Pertwee & William Franklyn. Made into a film starring Peter Sellers & Goldie Hawn in 1970.

Dave Greenfield - Keyboards with The Stranglers - Covid- 19.

Quote: Lazzard @ 4th May 2020, 5:50 PM

Dave Greenfield - Keyboards with The Stranglers - Covid- 19.

Yes. I just saw that.

oh no RIP Dave.

Millie Small who had a smash hit in 1964 with "My Boy Lollipop" has died at the age of 73.

Millie's single sold 6 million copies but was kept off the top spot in the UK by Cilla and "Anyone Who Had a Heart".

Kraftwerk's Schneider https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-52564281 I never listen to Kraftwerk. It's more fun to compute the man-machine model robots on the Mitternacht Autobahn Trans-Europe Express.

Little Richard has died at the age of 87.

His iconic "Tutti-Frutti" was initially all about gay sex - and with very explicit lyrics.

Clearly, radio audiences in 1955 were not quite ready for that sort of thing and so, before putting the song on disc, the lyrics were changed to express an acceptable level of appreciation for women instead.

Heterosexual lyrics like "I got a gal, her name's Sue. She knows just what to do" and "I got a gal, her name's Daisy. She almost drives me crazy" were perhaps suggestive (and very much so by the standards of the day) but at least they were open to an innocent interpretation and accordingly weren't going to get any radio stations closed down or anybody arrested.

The rest, as they say, is rock history.

RIP Richard.

RIP Little Richard. Suspected cause of death, an escaped sea snake. Loose eel.

RIP it up.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th May 2020, 3:54 PM

Little Richard has died at the age of 87.

His iconic "Tutti-Frutti" was initially all about gay sex - and with very explicit lyrics.

Clearly, radio audiences in 1955 were not quite ready for that sort of thing and so, before putting the song on disc, the lyrics were changed to express an acceptable level of appreciation for women instead.

Heterosexual lyrics like "I got a gal, her name's Sue. She knows just what to do" and "I got a gal, her name's Daisy. She almost drives me crazy" were perhaps suggestive (and very much so by the standards of the day) but at least they were open to an innocent interpretation and accordingly weren't going to get any radio stations closed down or anybody arrested.

The rest, as they say, is rock history.

RIP Richard.

So what were the original lyrics then? And how do you know? Did you write them?

RIP Betty Wright

Jerry Stiller (father of the somewhat more famous Ben) has died at the age of 92.

As an actor, he appeared in several films but is perhaps best known as George Costanza's dad in "Seinfeld".

RIP Jerry.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th May 2020, 7:31 PM

Jerry Stiller (father of the somewhat more famous Ben) has died at the age of 92.

RIP Jerry.

Was he the son of Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller?

RIP Jerry. I didn't realize he was Ben's father.
He played a similar role in" King of Queens" too.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th May 2020, 10:39 PM

So what were the original lyrics then? And how do you know? Did you write them?

I saw a documentary about this ages ago

I believe one of the lines was something like "tutti frutti, greased up booty"