FLAT - My latest attempt at a TV sitcom. Page 15

A brave person it is who puts their work on full show on a website aimed at wannabe sitcom writers! I wouldn't do it so I salute him and all others that do. Now he seems to have left his own thread can I just quickly comment that from the very concept itself I didn't see how five people could share a flat. A house is a different matter, but a flat? There are precious few 3 bed flats on the market, but 5 bedroom ones??? And some of his characters weren't exactly teenagers anymore and clealy had successful careers. Why would they be wanting to share a very cramped flat with four others? I didn't need to read on, the very idea was wrong, although I'm sure the rest was very good. I did like his clear layout.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 13 2009, 10:42 PM BST

A brave person it is who puts their work on full show on a website aimed at wannabe sitcom writers! I wouldn't do it.

Why?

Because if you have a piece you are really not sure about, and need feedback on, I'd say the chances are that the comments will reflect your lack of belief. You cannot be thin skinned when this happens. If, on the other hand you are certain that a piece you've written is faultless and brilliant and going to knock everyone out, you are inviting the jealous and the not so nice to tell you loudly that it isn't. If you disagree you will just look arrogant for thinking everyone else is wrong. Thirdly if it really is a good piece of writing then it will probably be nicked, and not just by one, but many. I don't think you can win, doing it, unless you are a real novice, genuinely wanting to get advice on the very basics. I'd say the best place for purely constructive advice is an agent, a producer or one of these reading agencies that sends you a critique. Also, more instinctively, I just feel that to ask other punters in such a fiercely competetive business what they think of another competitor's work is akin to throwing yourself to a pack of wolves. There will be some friendly ones out there but also some very unfriendly, unhelpful ones who want to knock your work even if they think it is good. That sort of rank bad(faith) advice will just be very confusing, and probably unsettling. So I just wouldn't do it. The comment I myself made, for instance (though I only made it because the poster has long gone), I wouldn't like someone to make it of me, if I genuinely believed I was right - and the poster in this case did generally seem to think that. My rule on this is take advice from pros but not from amateurs. I don't mean that to sound demeaning to non pros (of which I am one) in any way, I simply believe it is a very sound mantra.

a website aimed at wannabe sitcom writers!

It's not really aimed at writers, but comedy fans in general.

I think, if you're new and looking for advice and tips, then it can be useful to some to put bits and pieces up here.

F**k me, 200+ posts in a CRITIQUE thread? This must be gold! *makes mental note to read tomorrow after vodka fog has lifted*.

Yes, Lee, but the action did seem to die down around 18 months ago though. ;)

I did like his clear layout.

Thordox also liked the layout, essentially the most important element of a sitcom pitch. The rest was a load of old tosh though.

This is an excellent thread. Maybe it should be pinned.

The writer takes on board critiques that he believes will help him improve the piece.

And plenty of good-natured banter!

(217 plays 217)

Good point JohnnyD.

In a competition like this there really are no winners.

Let us not forget that "every loser wins", as the great Nick Berry once said. What he meant by that I've never been quite able to work out, but I think it describes the situation beautifully.

James is a winner.

Halfway through this thread he posts a redraft with significant changes in the light of comments received.

Quote: Badge @ October 14 2009, 1:25 AM BST

Good point JohnnyD.

A belated Thank You, Badge.

Yes. This is an exemplary Critique thread.

And, what happened to all those 'People Most Likely To'?

James Willliams!

Now those were the days!

This is a good lock-down read.

Particularly my contributions.