Peter Kay retrospective Page 2

I should say that Billy Connolly has not written a sitcom yet.

Series 4 starts on Friday 27th! I'd of thought they'd of run out of clips to show by now.

Nonetheless, it's always great to watch Peter Kay. He's still my favourite comedian, bar none!

Some funny clips shown in Friday's first episode. I never realised Peter and Paddy did Millionaire so was great to see that footage.

Just the tonic we need for Friday evenings in these worrying times. Did anyone else tune in?

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 21st January 2016, 8:27 AM

Peter Kay is the new Billy Connolly, in that they are both hugely respected among their peers.

Wait, what?

He's always been considered one of the most hated for; stealing, reusing old material, being a nostalgia hack, and most damningly inflicting Paddy f**king McGuinness onto the population.

Quote: Joe Oakes @ 25th April 2020, 3:24 AM

Wait, what?

He's always been considered one of the most hated for; stealing, reusing old material, being a nostalgia hack, and most damningly inflicting Paddy f**king McGuinness onto the population.

:D

Wait, what?

Yeah, that and making millions of people laugh.
The bastard.

most damningly inflicting Paddy f**king McGuinness onto the population.

I absolutely loathe "Take Me Out".

If I ever become head of a totalitarian British state, I shall immediately instigate the rounding up of everybody who has ever applied to be on that show.

What will then happen to them? Let us not dwell on that topic.

Having said that, I've always regarded Paddy McGuinness as a relatively good comedian, a pretty good TV presenter and a very good comedy actor.

His friend and mentor, Peter Kay, is one of the most naturally talented comedians in the world.

As far as I'm aware, Peter served no apprenticeship before achieving success as a stand-up: it's reasonably true to say that the first time he picked up a microphone in public and tried to be funny, he was an instant hit and he's never looked back.

The worst anyone can say about him is that he is not their cup of tea, comedy-wise.

I'm sure he'll be able to live with that as it's something that's been said about every other comedian who has ever lived.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th April 2020, 4:20 PM

His friend and mentor, Peter Kay, is one of the most naturally talented comedians in the world.

Totally agree, he is still my favourite comedian - he can make you laugh without saying a word which is rare for a comedian and such a strong skill. Although, I do think a 25 episode retrospective is a bit strong.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live unfortunately, but a friend of mine saw him on his 2010/11 tour and said it was amazing how he held the audience literally in the palm of the hand.

I did get tickets for his 2018 tour but then it all got cancelled, I was devastated but his family are more important.

Did anybody else think he didn't look quite right on his appearance on Big Night In on Thursday? Hope he's ok.

Quote: G180e @ 26th April 2020, 7:34 PM

Did anybody else think he didn't look quite right on his appearance on Big Night In on Thursday?

It would be difficult for anybody to watch that clip and not think something was amiss. :(

Peter is an intensely private man when he's not working and is most certainly not a celebrity one should ever stop in the street for a chat about comedy and possibly a selfie.

Ronnie Corbett was his polar opposite in that respect: when grabbed in the street by a fan, he had the patience of a saint - but I digress.

There is a very tight lid on the nation's press with regard to Peter's absence from show business in recent times and so information is not easy to come by.

A number of people have told me what the problem is but I doubt any of them has obtained their information directly from the horse's mouth or even from the mouth of anybody living in the same stable. Accordingly. I'm not about to repeat what, at the present moment in time, are only rumours - even though all the available evidence appears to support those rumours.

No doubt we'll know the truth sooner or later.

I've always regarded Paddy McGuinness as a relatively good comedian...

Are you people playing a collective joke on me?

Peter Kay is one of the most naturally talented comedians in the world... it's reasonably true to say that the first time he picked up a microphone in public and tried to be funny, he was an instant hit and he's never looked back.

Yes, reasonably true according to his Partridge-esque autobiography where he is the hero of every anecdote.

He's sold about 5 different DVD specials with the same jokes on.

Even Daniel Kitson has publicly slated him, and I've never heard Daniel Kitson say negative things about anyone else. To be fair, I haven't heard Daniel Kitson say much about anything.

And there's the vanity charity work to promote his tours and celebrate his voice. Remember the time he used comic relief to flog his merch, for which he only donated a tiny fraction and pocketed the rest?

I could go on.

So I will.

He's a money-grabbing hack fraud.

I'm not saying that he isn't a good performer or has never done anything funny, but he's criminally over-rated and a general shit.

Quote: G180e @ 26th April 2020, 7:34 PM

I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live unfortunately, but a friend of mine saw him on his 2010/11 tour and said it was amazing how he held the audience literally in the palm of the hand.

I did get tickets for his 2018 tour but then it all got cancelled, I was devastated but his family are more important.

You're in luck, you just need to buy one of his 26 DVDs and you will have seen both the 2010 and 2018 tour. And 2009. And 2008. And 2007. Again, I could go on. And 2006.

Being Bolton born myself I love his humour and he's no different to all my Bolton born uncles. They all have the quick wit and cheeky humour Peter Kay has become known for and whenever I visit for a family do my jaw will ache from the laughter. I have a few of his DVDs and they are all very different to each other but some of his material is suspiciously similar to Lee Evans' material from a decade earlier. My favourite DVD is live at the 'Bolton' Albert Halls partly because I performed there once in the late 90s. It was in a children's theatre company but it still counts. Had my own dressing room because there were loads of them.

I wish him and his family all the best.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 27th April 2020, 1:58 AM

It was in a children's theatre company but it still counts. Had my own dressing room because there were loads of them.

Loads of children? I hope you didn't invite any of them into your dressing room.

(Waits to be greyed out.)

One can't help admitting to Kay's effortless on-screen warmth, which is his primary gift; the ability to instantly win the trust of an audience and create a willingness within them. He's very skilled at this, yet also possesses a true Bolton humour. This stage & screen persona is worshipped by the British public. Off stage, Kay has a somewhat contrasting vibe about him.

There's numerous accounts of him being quite an unpleasant and arrogant man, who will unsurprisingly dominate a room full of fellow celebrities and comedians. Daniel Kitson grew heavily tired of working with him on Phoenix Nights, as he'd disregard any contributions from the majority of other actors. Not forgetting as well, that he unapologetically took full credit for writing both series', following an award win. Spikey & Fitzmaurice felt very devalued and shunned.

I always find it telling, how a comedian is regarded amongst fellow comedians. His name's not mud, but he's not thought of with great warmth either, despite how the general public perceive him

Makes me wonder if the BBC will try and stretch a fifth series out of this. Out of interest, does anyone know the ratings for Comedy Shuffle? Are they high, are millions watching repackaged clips of Kay?

And yes, I am one of them who watches but am I alone?

Quote: G180e @ 30th April 2020, 5:23 PM

Makes me wonder if the BBC will try and stretch a fifth series out of this. Out of interest, does anyone know the ratings for Comedy Shuffle? Are they high, are millions watching repackaged clips of Kay?

And yes, I am one of them who watches but am I alone?

You're certainly not alone.

It seems that the viewing figures are at least 2 (that's you and me).

My guess is that there are several million more of us, simply because Peter Kay is so funny.