Flywheel, Shyster And Flywheel

Anyone else enjoying this radio show currently on BBC Sounds.

It's a remake of a 1930's Marx Brothers Radio show staring Groucho as Flywheel - a useless lawyer and Chico as Ravelli his hapless assistant.

There are a few of the original 1930's scripts on this website along with a load of old American radio scripts:

https://www.genericradio.com/show/0234511935c9d7e1

Thanks for the BBC sounds info. I have had a book of scripts for years. Groucho at his freewheeling best. Will check out the link.

I recorded one of the remakes when it was broadcast by Australia's ABC Radio about 30 years ago. Ravelli as a defendant in court - it was great. I played it far too often and still remember many of the lines. I'm now downloading the entire remake series.

Thanks for this Will. Groucho had the best oneliners.

It's very enjoyable but a lot of the jokes are very corny

I enjoyed them on 7 or 4extra in the past.
I've got to be in the mood.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th April 2020, 5:18 PM

Groucho has been quoted to death in the 87 years since this was on, so it is overly familiar now, which does make things feel corny. Maybe corny + 87 years = quality ? That said, I always hit fast forward when his brothers get all musical.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th April 2020, 5:18 PM

If you're from New York and you're Jewish, you're the closest thing to a born comedian that ever existed.

If you don't go into comedy, there's probably a brilliant songwriting career ahead of you.

If you don't try your hand at comedy or songwriting, you have seriously missed your way!

When the Marx brothers were at the height of their powers, top-quality verbal comedy was very much in its infancy in the movies.

And to think Harpo was as comedically brilliant as he was without speaking?

Those three guys working together were the closest thing to a Holy Trinity that Judaism ever had.

I find it very difficult to understand how anybody can watch the Marx Brothers working and not be in awe of their talent.

I like the series but like everything else on 4 extra the constant repeats start to lose the comedy as you've heard it before

These are being repeated on Radio 4 Extra on Tuesday mornings at 8.30. Once you get over the fact it's not really the Marx Brothers it's really enjoyable although "Chico" sounds exactly like him.