Status report Page 6,064

You won't need it for a while Chip.

Quote: Will Cam @ 23rd March 2020, 8:43 PM

You won't need it for a while Chip.

:D

Excellent supermoon on the way into work.

Because it's a beautiful sunny day, I decided to go out into my back garden.

I lasted about 10 seconds - it's absolutely effing freezing out there.

I checked the thermometer and its 8°C.

Where's all this global warming we're always hearing about?

Yesterday it was 90F/32C and I got a decent sunburn. A cold front rolled through and it's currently 45F/7C, although it's going to warm up to 66F/19C in a few hours.

It's that time of year again when false widows start invading my flat and I've already seen a few. One was so small I had to take a photo with my phone and zoom in to the image to confirm what it was. There is no point having netting over the windows if spiders that small can get through the holes.

Working from home is going to become tough when the temperatures rise. At that time of year I can't wait to get to work and the air conditioning. Last year I only remember a few days of super hot weather but the year before it was about three weeks of continuous hot days.

I was on Radio Surrey this morning talking about Voyeurism.

Surrey seems to be the hardest word.

My Christmas Tree which I bought around 8-10 December 2019 is still in the corner of my living room almost fully decorated. Some of it has drooped a bit with a few baubles dropping off but mostly it retains its needles and they are green. What started out as a wish to do a new Christmas because actual Christmas had been disappointing turned into missing the lorry which in early January took most trees away. Then it became cosy reassurance, then an experiment to see if could last two months, then a permanent fixture as there is nowhere easily to put it now there is Covid-19.

Every time I have looked at it since Easter, it has reminded me of a nuclear holocaust. Specifically, what can remain in place after one as seen by just about still active drones. I've stopped using my living room as with that feeling the tree gives me the creeps. I would appreciate advice from people who have had an identical experience. For example, did you just stick with it in case tree shops were not permitted to open the following Xmas or cut down a tree on each day of your one hour permissible walks, bring those trees back individually and bit by bit stack them around it so that you had a woodland in your home? That is, once you had also brought in some robins before the start of a fuller lockdown?

There was a time when I could/wanted to/had time to read every post on this site.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th April 2020, 2:17 PM

There was a time when I could/wanted to/had time to read every post on this site.

I wasn't sure at first but, yes, it's an elegant construction.

But you don't have to get every word absolutely right.

As long as the meaning is clear, that is all that matters.

Then it is entirely up to the reader himself to decide whether to accommodate the meaning.

Or just carry on as before.

I hope this reply is helpful.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 25th April 2020, 7:00 PM

I wasn't sure at first but, yes, it's an elegant construction.

But you don't have to get every word absolutely right.

As long as the meaning is clear, that is all that matters.

Then it is entirely up to the reader himself to decide whether to accommodate the meaning.

Or just carry on as before.

I hope this reply is helpful.

Bollocks!

Quote: Chappers @ 25th April 2020, 10:11 PM

Bollocks!

I was very sorry for the delay in my reply.

This was due to unforeseen circumstances that were entirely beyond my control.

Please count the sidewalks to prove you are not a robot.

If not, the pants by which I mean trousers and nothing more rude than trousers.

Then provide your passport photo, your secret security code and your last year of bank statements.

I do hope this reply is also helpful.

Almost finished packing up the car for tomorrow's 920-mile drive to Denver. My daughter is scheduled to give birth a month from today, but we don't expect her to go that long, so I'm going to stay with them for about 6 weeks in case her husband (a cop) isn't around when she goes into labor. I'll work from (their) home while I'm there.

The longest solo drive I've ever made in a day was 750 miles and that was years ago, so I'm hoping I'm up to the challenge. My car will be full of computer gear and frozen meat, so I can't get a room for the night. The speed limit while I'm in Texas (the majority of the drive) will be 75-80 MPH, but it'll still take 13 to 14 hours.

Don't worry, I'll have a couple of pistols in the center console and glove box in case I get bushwhacked. ;)

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd May 2020, 6:58 PM

Almost finished packing up the car for tomorrow's 920-mile drive to Denver.

Like a great many other people, pop music has been the soundtrack to my life and I'm immediately put in mind of the line "It's a long way from this place to Denver".

I think the longest journey I've ever driven is just over 500 miles, and that was from Manchester to the north of Scotland.

It was a great journey, Briosaid told me the password to use at Gretna Green - and they let me straight in.

Good luck with the forthcoming birth and everything else, Da Butt!

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd May 2020, 6:58 PM

Almost finished packing up the car for tomorrow's 920-mile drive to Denver. My daughter is scheduled to give birth a month from today, but we don't expect her to go that long, so I'm going to stay with them for about 6 weeks in case her husband (a cop) isn't around when she goes into labor. I'll work from (their) home while I'm there.

The longest solo drive I've ever made in a day was 750 miles and that was years ago, so I'm hoping I'm up to the challenge. My car will be full of computer gear and frozen meat, so I can't get a room for the night. The speed limit while I'm in Texas (the majority of the drive) will be 75-80 MPH, but it'll still take 13 to 14 hours.

Don't worry, I'll have a couple of pistols in the center console and glove box in case I get bushwhacked. ;)

Is that allowed? It wouldn't be here.