The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 40

TBT - oh no.:OErrr

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th April 2020, 1:24 PM

Tim Brooke-Taylor has died at the age of 79, after contracting coronavirus.

Strangely, given his age, that's about the most shocked I've been to hear of any celebrity death in recent years. I suppose it's because I've seen him perform three times in the past six months in various ISIHAC recordings & tours. And he was the only one of the three regulars that appeared in all of them and seemed best placed health-wise.

I also remember seeing him with John Cleese, back in the early 70s when at the height of their TV fame, on an underground train going to Wembley to see England play. I hadn't realised until then that famous people used the same means of transport, and enjoyed the same things, as the rest of us.

R.I.P. indeed.

Some RIP's on this thread affect us more than others - I imagine everybody i know (above a certain age) will be saddened by TBT's passing. That has to be a measure of something.

RIP

And RIP Peter Bonetti who I saw many times. Unfortunately though he was dropped in it in 1970 by England so never really got the plaudits he deserved.

Incidentally on the BBC radio news they say that the Goodies was a sketch show. Do they not know their own programmes?

This one really hurt. The Goodies embody everything I love in comedy - revelling in titting about with your mates and making silliness and anarchy into an artform. I shall be wearing Union Jack underpants in tribute.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th April 2020, 4:04 PM

And RIP Peter Bonetti who I saw many times. Unfortunately though he was dropped in it in 1970 by England so never really got the plaudits he deserved.

Incidentally on the BBC radio news they say that the Goodies was a sketch show. Do they not know their own programmes?

The Guardian is just as bad. This piece by Mark Lawson definitely needed a subeditor: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/12/tim-brooke-taylor-the-goodies-star-leaves-a-legacy-even-without-repeats "it has struggled to achieve a repeat afterllife [sic], to the regret and occasional suspicion of its creators." Can't even use spell-check.
"Kitten Kong, one of the most famous Goodies' sketches." Sketch??! And which "most famous Goodie"? Should be: "One of the Goodies' most famous episodes."
"On BBC2's Broaden Your Mind (1968-69), Brooke-Taylor, Cleese and Garden were joined by Garden, Oddie, and Idle, plus new recruits, Michael Palin and Terry Jones, who had been at Oxford when they were at Cambridge." Somewhat misleading - makes it sound as if they all appeared in the same show. Also, technically means Palin and Jones had been at Oxford when they were at Cambridge.

Separately, note the sad irony of the final words of this Broaden Your Mind sketch:

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Tim- What a sad loss. Witty, hilarious (occasionally filthy), and possessor of some of the best high pitched bad singing ever.RIP

RIP
Tim,Peter and Stirling.They all entertained us in their way.

I can't get a pair of Union Jack underpants for love nor money. Fully agree on the silly errors. The BBC and the Grauniad are now the same people. Very sad - and even sadder news about three legends. The achievements of Stirling Moss speak for themselves. Bonetti was my favourite goal keeper. A key part of the first team I supported although I tend to keep that quiet. Chelsea. Early 1970s. And then Tim. I watched The Goodies again only recently. It was almost sinful that it wasn't repeated. Plus the great "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue". Samantha. Be an angel. Once you have given him a mouthful for crash landing in heaven, don't immediately pull him off but let him go round again for us before the full on bonk.

"England 1966 World Cup winner and Leeds United legend Norman Hunter dies aged 76, a week after being admitted to hospital with coronavirus," says the headline today.

Actually, Norman didn't play in the 1966 World Cup Final and, according to the rules in existence at that time, was not eligible for a winner's medal. Actually, he didn't even play in any other game in the 1966 World Cup Competition but he was nevertheless a member of the England squad at that time and, accordingly, when the rules were eventually changed, was deemed worthy of a World Cup winner's medal which he received in 2007.

He was an excellent defender and had an illustrious career with "the damned United".

RIP Norman.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th April 2020, 5:29 PM

"England 1966 World Cup winner and Leeds United legend Norman Hunter dies aged 76, a week after being admitted to hospital with coronavirus," says the headline today.

Actually, Norman didn't play in the 1966 World Cup Final and, according to the rules in existence at that time, was not eligible for a winner's medal. Actually, he didn't even play in any other game in the 1966 World Cup Competition but he was nevertheless a member of the England squad at that time and, accordingly, when the rules were eventually changed, was deemed worthy of a World Cup winner's medal which he received in 2007.

He was an excellent defender and had an illustrious career with "the damned United".

RIP Norman.

Correction.

A bloody animal. RIP.

RIP Norman.
Whenever I see his name I can hear Don Revie's "Norman Unter,David"

...and Brian Clough telling them to throw all their medals in the bin because they'd got them by cheating. (According to Michael Sheen in the Damned United)

Quote: Chappers @ 18th April 2020, 5:32 PM

...and Brian Clough telling them to throw all their medals in the bin because they'd got them by cheating. (According to Michael Sheen in the Damned United)

Hi Chappers.

I hope to be in your area of Sutton as soon as my terrible teeth leave me again reeling in pain. People can say what they like about the Irish but my dentist from County Clare is possibly the nearest thing I have ever found to God on planet earth. He's staying open. I'm not at all surprised. He is the most wonderful man - but I expect I will get the lurgy in the taxi over so for now I am not doing any biscuits apart from fig rolls. The rest of this you won't read as you are unable to. Wave

Talksport said last night that the Chelsea v Leeds replay of 1970 was one of the dirtiest matches of all time. There is some brilliant stuff on the net which you might like to see. It involves re-refereeing it and the number of red and yellow cards now considered apt is unbelievable. But also, this is no lie, I swear it, it was the first ever domestic match I was ever allowed to watch on TV. I was a Chelsea supporter between 1970 and 1974 because my mates were. But, I was taken to the Arsenal so it all got very edgy. I did the ultimate cop out when under competing pressures and was for QPR after 1974. Then ultimately, as I thought at the time, I fully signed up to the Gunners in 1978 and I never looked back, often regular at Highbury, although when I lived in York in 1982 I added the Minister Men non controversially as team two.

That was the way it stayed until two years ago when I retained Arsenal and York as 1 and 2 but realised that by rights I should for family links have always been Millwall so that became 3. I also went back to QPR and via family trees took on a few more teams with new found family links to interest me which I genuinely like a lot now. I was sorry to hear about the death of Bite Yer Legs Hunter. He was horrible but he represented an era when they weren't pompous because of being overpaid so nice really. I've got loads of autographs. I got Bremner's even though I didn't like him. I've got Hollins who was linked to many of my teams and who I respected a lot. I've got loads of boxers from the Manor Baths gym in Walworth. Real big boxing names. As with many, it took me decades and decades to change my mind about Leeds. But I love manager Bielsa. He is totally bonkers and a bit brilliant and they really must go up this time however they do it because of him. He is so colourful and has changed their image to wacky. I will be very disappointed if they don't go up.

RIP Norman Hunter England

Quote: playfull @ 12th April 2020, 3:30 PM

Some RIP's on this thread affect us more than others - I imagine everybody i know (above a certain age) will be saddened by TBT's passing. That has to be a measure of something.

Nice piece by Graeme Garden on Tim Brooke-Taylor: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8231623/No-costume-ridiculous-nor-stunt-dangerous-Tim-Brooke-Taylor-says-GRAEME-GARDEN.html