Meet The Richardsons Page 2

Quote: WarmWasp @ 7th March 2020, 6:30 PM

Second episode was definitely better, don't you think?

I think overall yes, but that said the funniest moment so far for me was Bernie Clifton catching Jon on the trampoline in episode 1

Another great episode, this could be a contender for funniest series of the year already. I love their relationship, it's truly lovely. The password scene was the highlight this week I thought.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 12th March 2020, 10:39 PM

Another great episode, this could be a contender for funniest series of the year already. I love their relationship, it's truly lovely. The password scene was the highlight this week I thought.

Same here. A brilliant series that I look forward to viewing every Thursday. The way both Jon and Lucy bounce off each other is a delight to watch plus all the other 'stars' in it are a joy to watch too!

One of the best shows I've seen on Dave, that have been made 'exclusively' for the channel.

This series continues to be a delight. Jon's teasing at the end was brilliant.

My only complaint actually is I think it's a mistake to have the Mamma Mia joke in the opening credits. Any comedy was sucked out of it by episode 2 and it's very cringey.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 19th March 2020, 10:58 PM

I think it's a mistake to have the Mamma Mia joke in the opening credits. Any comedy was sucked out of it by episode 2 and it's very cringey.

It's surprising that a talented comedian like Lucy Beaumont should repeatedly tell a joke that was as old as the hills before she herself was born.

In the latest episode, Lucy's mum (playwright Gill Adams) claims to written that joke for her.

That's impossible, of course, because Gill Adams is demonstrably much younger than the hills.

All that aside, "Meet the Richardsons" remains one of the most entertaining TV programs I have ever seen.

And so ends for my money the best comedy of the year. I laughed all the way through every episode and the ending of this finale was one of the sweetest things I've seen for a long time, without being mawkish or saccharine. I don't know if things are being recommissioned in the current climate but this really, really deserves a second run.

I take it the table-read was a dig at Scarborough? Good stuff.

Comedy is subjective: that's probably one of the very few things upon which all BCG readers are agreed.

Having said that, I am the sole arbiter of what I myself find entertaining and it is from that lofty position that I declare my inability to think of any other TV programme that has entertained me more than "Meet the Richardsons".

Why is it so wonderful?

I have absolutely no idea.

I just know that it is.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd April 2020, 11:58 AM

Comedy is subjective: that's probably one of the very few things upon which all BCG readers are agreed.

Having said that, I am the sole arbiter of what I myself find entertaining and it is from that lofty position that I declare my inability to think of any other TV programme that has entertained me more than "Meet the Richardsons".

Why is it so wonderful?

I have absolutely no idea.

I just know that it is.

My sentiments exactly. Is it the natural chemistry? The willingness to send themselves up? The sheer warmth of the programme? The fact that it's two comics knowing what works for their audience and then surpassing it? I suspect a combination of all the above and more.

Finally some good news. Meet the Richardsons has been recomissioned for a second series and two Christmas specials. I couldn't be happier, I still haven't seen a funner show than Series 1 this year:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5895/meet-the-richardsons-series-2/

Surprised nobody has commented about the first Christmas Special. I thought it was excellent; great to see this series finally back on our screens. Roll on Part 2 and Series 2.

Quote: G180e @ 11th December 2020, 1:48 PM

Surprised nobody has commented about the first Christmas Special. I thought it was excellent; great to see this series finally back on our screens. Roll on Part 2 and Series 2.

I agree, I love them both together, they seem pretty much perfect for each other. Loved Johnny Vegas' reaction to the pub, though I think Jon in the box was the funniest moment.

Another great episode. Loved the panto and Jason Donovan sending himself up.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 17th December 2020, 7:55 AM

Another great episode. Loved the panto and Jason Donovan sending himself up.

Yes, really enjoyed it. Roll on Series 2.

I really enjoyed these specials. Very funny. Really found its feet (not that Series 1 was poor).