Friday Night Dinner - Series 6

Very funny and excelled itself when Mark Heap (predictably) spilled the crap. I nearly pissed myself laughing!

Fantastic start to the new series. As usual, Paul Ritter and Mark Heap steal every scene there in!

Hilarious stuff, just the tonic we need in these worrying times.

Yep. Mark Heap gets as much value out of that role as you possibly could.

Love it. Next week's is a corker too.

Episode 1 got the show's highest ever rating: only one episode has topped it in even 30-day-consolidated numbers. I hope it finally now gets more of the wide recognition it deserves.

I interviewed creator/producer/writer Robert Popper about the show, if anyone's interested: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/friday_night_dinner/interview/robert_popper/

Quote: Aaron @ 29th March 2020, 9:09 PM

Love it. Next week's is a corker too.

Episode 1 got the show's highest ever rating: only one episode has topped it in even 30-day-consolidated numbers. I hope it finally now gets more of the wide recognition it deserves.

I interviewed creator/producer/writer Robert Popper about the show, if anyone's interested: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/friday_night_dinner/interview/robert_popper/

Wonderful interview Aaron. Due to that high viewing figure, makes me wonder if they'll do a seventh series.

It probably has something to do with the current crisis though. People are returning to watching TV.

I enjoyed it ... but the boys' antics are getting on my nerves more. I think that this should be the final series.

What breed of dog is Milson?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 1st April 2020, 10:44 PM

I enjoyed it ... but the boys' antics are getting on my nerves more. I think that this should be the final series.

What breed of dog is Milson?

Maybe after 6 series you would be but I've only seen about one and a half series.

And Rob Milson plays for Sutton United - formerly of Notts County.

The good thing about this is that you really don't have to watch it regularly or necessarily in order.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd April 2020, 10:23 PM

The good thing about this is that you really don't have to watch it regularly or necessarily in order.

So wonderful to have a traditional sitcom in that sense. I do wish more were like it still.

Caught up on the first two episodes ahead of episode 3 being on tonight - still love it and episode 2 was particularly funny in its escalation.

Glad to see it's rating so well, with all that is going on and people staying indoors of a Friday night, hopefully it's catching many completely new viewers.

"Friday night dinner" is based upon the very old idea of showing two parents and their children becoming exasperated with each other while putting up with annoying neighbours and life in general.

It may be a very old idea but it's also a very good idea and I can't remember ever seeing it done better or more consistently than it's been done over several series with "Friday night dinner".

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd April 2020, 10:23 PM

The even better thing about this is that you don't have to watch it all. I hadn't until last night, for ten painful mins. Thank f**k I won't be watching any more.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th March 2020, 10:20 PM

It probably has something to do with the current crisis though. People are returning to watching TV.

Of course it is. If there were better things on to watch, this prog's ratings wouldn't be as high. So far I've seen no effort at all from the main channels to accommodate for the huge increase in potential viewers. The schedule doesn't seem to have changed at all, I would have thought at the very least they could be rolling out some classic at home sitcoms. Loads to choose from and all do it better than FND. imooo

Quote: Feeoree @ 10th April 2020, 2:50 PM

Glad to see it's rating so well, with all that is going on and people staying indoors of a Friday night, hopefully it's catching many completely new viewers.

Many of whom thinking they'd rather be catching coronavirus than sit through this.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th April 2020, 8:51 AM

rather be catching coronavirus than sit through this.

Bloody hell, Alf!

I can understand why you're not in love with "Alma's not normal": I love it but I realise it's not everybody's cup of tea.

What I can't understand is why you (or anybody else) wouldn't like "Friday night dinner". The scripts are funny, the characters are funny and the highly talented actors are putting their hearts and souls into their work. In short, it's one of the best sitcoms I've ever seen.

Tamsin Greig's portrayal of the mother is especially magnificent and Mark Heap's portrayal of the immensely lovable but unbearably annoying neighbour is just comedy heaven.

Oh well, I've no doubt there are many other programs that will entertain you during the lockdown period.

Whatever you do, don't catch coronavirus - and keep your chin up while trawling the TV schedules for that elusive comedy gold.