I Can't Believe That Was On The Telly In The Teenies

So now we are well into 2020, it is about time broadcasters made a programme with a lot of comedians being sarcastic about how old fashioned and wrong things were on television between 2010 to 2019. If they don't do it soon, it will prove that all of their programmes on the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s are just motivated by ageism and need to be edited for any future transmission. Gogglebox doesn't count as it is current and it could easily be condemned itself. So what were the low points? People eating meat on the screen? Giving a platform to anti-semites? Or discriminating in favour of the presenter on Naked Attraction by allowing her to keep her clothes on? These are just examples and the list is potentially endless.

Well, thank you for asking me that question. I am speaking to you from the year 2060. So you reached the age of 97 after all, I hear you say, Nope. Absolutely no chance. I am 20. Like everyone else, I went through our sadly failing NHS's operation at 75 for making myself 55 years younger. Permanently. I can't believe that in the non pc teenies, you allowed people who looked over 20 on the television. It was totally repugnant. Nor should you have ever let anyone on who didn't wear an anti smog and ebola face mask. We all have them now. They have beautiful faces painted on them - each one of them in grey and identical so no one needs to look ugly or different or be discriminated against. Gawd. I thought I saw some boy on your so-called news the other night with plastic surgery in her whiskers.

Food? Well, you know what I am going to say on that one. It beggars belief that every Jo Soap was striding across the screen saying nothing about the protein in gnats and worms. Out of their reach? Hardly when that woman could cross the Atlantic on his own and at a certain point find that the nearest living person to him was on the International Space Station. You just weren't trying hard enough. In fact all of your programmes were immoral shite. Knife this, sex up that, farm the other thing, f**k, c**t, lets do nudey stuff, bollocks. My grandmother wasn't thawed to become a two year old - well, no that's a lie : actually he was, back in 2048 - but not so as to be subjected to a world which did everything to upset our great government of Lady Kurt Cobain (Resurrected) and the Seventh Day Adventists.

I can't believe you didn't warn us what was to come. For shame!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th March 2020, 1:26 PM

I can't believe you didn't warn us what was to come. For shame!

Well, of course, by 2060 it will have been expunged from all official records by the Ministry of Truth and anyone who tries to relate that it ever occurred will be in prison, courtesy of the Thought Police; those not in prison are only allowed out of house arrest for one hour per day for exercise; food is, of course, provided daily by the Ministry of Plenty so there will be no need to go out to buy groceries.

These talking heads programmes about TV from years ago are pure filler tat. Most of the "comedians" on these borefests are mostly the 10th rate variety. Sure, attitudes to race, women, and homosexuality were offensive back then as they are now. One wonders what similar shows in 40 years will think of todays attitudes and comics, and what is acceptable now may horrify.
Shockingly I once saw BERNARD MANNING on Tiswas, a saturday morning kids show!!!!
Frankie Boyle on Cbeebies anyone?

Quote: paulted @ 30th March 2020, 6:25 PM

Shockingly I once saw BERNARD MANNING on Tiswas, a saturday morning kids show!!!!

Shockingly?

I can only assume you missed Gary Glitter's appearance on that iconic show.

Bernard, it has to be said, only ever assaulted minority groups verbally. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th March 2020, 6:49 PM

Shockingly?

I can only assume you missed Gary Glitter's appearance on that iconic show.

Bernard, it has to be said, only ever assaulted minority groups verbally. Laughing out loud

Ugh.....Did you have to bring him up. I'm eating dinner

Can't remember the name but high on the leader board must be that show with young kids dressing up as pop stars complete with heels and make up and singing songs with raunchy lyrics. They were only about 5 and 6 years old and it was cancelled after a few episodes because of the outrage from viewers.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 30th March 2020, 9:11 PM

Can't remember the name but high on the leader board must be that show with young kids dressing up as pop stars complete with heels and make up and singing songs with raunchy lyrics. They were only about 5 and 6 years old and it was cancelled after a few episodes because of the outrage from viewers.

"Minipops" - Channel 4 in 1983.

It was, as you suggest, more than a little inappropriate (in parts) but it did run for a full series of six episodes.

Quote: paulted @ 30th March 2020, 6:25 PM

These talking heads programmes about TV from years ago are pure filler tat. Most of the "comedians" on these borefests are mostly the 10th rate variety. Sure, attitudes to race, women, and homosexuality were offensive back then as they are now. One wonders what similar shows in 40 years will think of todays attitudes and comics, and what is acceptable now may horrify.
Frankie Boyle on Cbeebies anyone?

Those "When [insert here] Goes Bad" shows are hit and miss but some can be an entertaining few hours and feature a lot of footage I've either never seen before or not seen for a long time. Some can be up to 3 hours and spend time covering the background and fallout from the clips rather than rush through them. Some of the people giving their responses can be very irritating when they don't seem to have a clue what they're talking about or watching the clip for the first time because they weren't born at the time. Like a 20 year old guitarist from a band I've never heard of trying to say something witty about a 1960s variety clip. There are some usual faces that I don't mind too much like Cheryl Baker and surprisingly critics like Ian Hyland and Kevin O'Sullivan can provide a useful insight in to the clip and be the voice of reason instead of trying to think of something funny to say.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 30th March 2020, 9:11 PM

The Osmonds Show.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th March 2020, 9:19 PM

"Minipops" - Channel 4 in 1983.

It was, as you suggest, more than a little inappropriate (in parts) but it did run for a full series of six episodes.

I didn't know it lasted that long. It was a good idea in principle and just a singing talent show for kids but the show was far too glitzy and glamoury for the contestants.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th March 2020, 9:31 PM

The Osmonds Show.

Laughing out loud