Porridge Page 8

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 30th October 2015, 1:23 PM GMT

I just wish they hadn't bothered with the follow up films where Fletch was played by Chevy Chase. They just didn't seem to have enough of a connection to the series.

Yes. At least they weren't as bleak as the movie version with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman as Fletcher and Godber. That film wasn't very funny.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th October 2015, 5:50 PM GMT

Yes. At least they weren't as bleak as the movie version with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman as Fletcher and Godber. That film wasn't very funny.

:D

That picture looks more like an Aquafresh advert featuring Steve McQueen and Baldrick

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th October 2015, 5:30 PM GMT

Eh?

It's a bad joke. Chevy Chase starred in a film called 'Fletch' (and it's sequel). Ronnie Barker plays 'Fletch' in Porridge. Other than the character names there is no connection between the two.

Oh...

So who played Lennie in the Chevy Chase version ?

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 30th October 2015, 1:23 PM GMT

The First film 'Porridge' was on More4 today. It was a decent way to finish the whole thing. I just wish they hadn't bothered with the follow up films where Fletch was played by Chevy Chase. They just didn't seem to have enough of a connection to the series.

Laughing out loud (again!)

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th October 2015, 10:13 PM GMT

Oh...

So who played Lennie in the Chevy Chase version ?

:O

What's all this about Clement and La Frenais writing a new pilot episode? With Fletch's grandson, also called Fletch? Who, hilariously I feel I must add, ends up in prison? How do they come up with these fresh ideas?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th November 2015, 1:32 PM GMT

What's all this about Clement and La Frenais writing a new pilot episode? With Fletch's grandson, also called Fletch? Who, hilariously I feel I must add, ends up in prison? How do they come up with these fresh ideas?

The working title for the show is 'Yawn, here we go again' but it is believed they are considering any one of the following actual titles for the pilot:

1. Jobs for the boys
2. No risk, no effort
3. Cashing in

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 15th November 2015, 3:42 PM GMT

The working title for the show is 'Yawn, here we go again'

Surely the full title will be

'Yawn, here we go again (but it won't be as good)'

P.S. Like many people Porridge is my favourite sit com. Great scripts, great performances, great laughs.

It is repeated endlessly on Gold and even though I have watched the episodes dozens of times I still find myself watching them again.

Now of course I have fun trying to spot where they have censored the show to remove all references to non-PC things (gays, ethnic minorities etc).

Many a time Clement and La Frenais have written some lovely dialogue leading up to a great punch line, but the punch line has been removed making the dialogue just before it totally meaningless.

I do have the DVDs somewhere but rarely watch a DVD nowadays.

Quote: Guilbert @ 15th December 2015, 9:41 AM GMT

Now of course I have fun trying to spot where they have censored the show to remove all references to non-PC things (gays, ethnic minorities etc).

Don't know if I would call it fun, more like a crying shame that they think they have to do that as it is of its day and should not be interfered with.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th December 2015, 9:45 AM GMT

Don't know if I would call it fun, more like a crying shame that they think they have to do that as it is of its day and should not be interfered with.

I recently watched all of the DVDs and didn't notice any overt cuts. There could have been, of course, but I'm not au fait enough with the primary source to realise. I do know, however, that they'll often cut some of The Major's dialogue on certain episodes of Fawlty Towers.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th December 2015, 9:45 AM GMT

The trouble is many of the terms are now seen a derogatory.

For example there is one scene where Godber is taking about a character and he say something like "you know the guy with ginger hair and bow legs"

And Fletcher says "I was talking to Smith the other day about how you young people are always commenting on people's perculiarities".

And Godber says "Who is Smith?"

And Fletcher replies "you know the poof on e Wing with big Ears" (if this is censored it is p * * f).

The term "p * * f" is now a rather derogatory term and would probably be removed from most TV shows (particularly one shown in the day time).

When the show is now shown on Gold Fletcher's punch line is removed (but the rest of the dialogue is left in making it meaningless).

P.S. I also remember one Only Fools and Horses where Uncle Albert talks about going down the "p*ki shop" which is also removed from the TV version nowadays.

Like I say, a shame.

I've got the utmost respect for Clement and La Frenais so I've got faith that it will be updated and contemporary.

I don't think they'll cut any corners or "cheat".

I was reminded of the episode of Porridge where Fletcher and Godber are imagining going out together to a pub for the evening - but of course they can't because they're doing Porridge.

It's a bit like that now for most of us.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th March 2020, 9:36 PM

I was reminded of the episode of Porridge where Fletcher and Godber are imagining going out together to a pub for the evening - but of course they can't because they're doing Porridge.

It's worse than that for most of us now - because most of us don't live with anyone as nice as Godber or as funny as Fletcher.

Thank God my partner's buggered off: it was like living with Mr Mackay (in drag)! Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 27th March 2020, 9:36 PM

You wait till week 4 or 5 kicks in then it really will feel like Porridge.

Thinking back it's a dream setting for a sitcom, your characters can't escape and there's plenty of tension or conflict. It was only a matter of time before someone wrote a prison sitcom, but aren't we lucky it was Clement and LaFranais at their peak. Still being repeated over and over and like Dad's Army and one or two other classics it just doesn't seem to date or lose its appeal. Wave applauds.