Retro Hetro

I saw that a lot of Pete Wyngardes stage stuff did really at auction the other day. I loved Department S but Jason King was even better as it made Adam Wests Batman look dark and moody.
The man was as camp as a tent and drove his Rolls Royce with his knees so that he could drink champagne with one hand and have his arm around a dolly bird.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 27th March 2020, 1:31 PM

a dolly bird.

I haven't heard that expression since attractive young women first came under criticism for revelling in their youthfulness, their attractiveness and their womanliness.

Before I became woke, I might have continued this post by saying that, in those days, I myself revelled in quite a few attractive young women - just like the superficially hetero Mr King (but minus the Rolls-Royce, of course).

However, because I am now totally woke, I shall not mention those blissfully unenlightened times.

And of course he would probably have preferred a bloke.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th March 2020, 9:59 PM

And of course he would probably have preferred a bloke.

When Wyngarde was King,
it was not the done thing
to poke a bloke;
cos folk weren't woke!

How horrible it was for gays back then, any dickhead could take you to a police station for having a love you could never name.
What they did to Alan Turing was beyond horrific and as bad as was as what the f**king Nazis were doing and he helped save us from them.

Jason King was way too over the top for me.
He did star in a good film Burn Witch Burn aka Night of the Eagle.
Worth a watch if you can find it.

https://www.dept-s.com/

I've been trying to remember the name of Jason King's partner-in-crimefighting at Department S.

I think it might have been Andrew Ridgely.