Coronavirus Page 17

Bojo has got it!

Quote: chipolata @ 27th March 2020, 11:43 AM

Never-mind Billwill's bizarre and unjustified rant, they've only gone and painted over Abbey Roads zebra crossing because of the pandemic.

Aw, naw!!!!!

Quote: lofthouse @ 27th March 2020, 11:50 AM

Bojo has got it!

He does admittedly sound a bit groggy but it is usefully timed to when Parliament has yet another of its breaks and he could have been accused of abandoning the country for four weeks. At least this way he can say he is working - working from home. That is, following Charles's flight which hasn't been received especially well in several places. More broadly, Westminster does appear to be a bit of a hot spot. I hear on the grapevine of four people in just one unit of MOD who have tested positive. But then politico types are minglers. They mingle here. They mingle there. They mingle everywhere.

As a footnote, and not to wish to strike an unduly doomy note, he was very close to Nadine Dorries on her return as were several of them. The one to listen out for is possibly Liz Truss who was certainly in those scenes. Because if she gets it soon there might be speculation that contrary to scientific opinion at the moment this thing could still be infectious for two or more weeks after the first symptoms appear (and then disappear) - which would not be at all wonderful news.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th March 2020, 8:39 PM

No one in my road did the hand clapping thing at eight o' clock.

There were one or two fireworks, three of us twitched our curtains as we always do at eight o'clock, the chavs on the corner performed a sex act on their front door mat and our only centenarian held up a sign saying "RIP Lady Diana."

Laughing out loud

You're on top form, Radish. :D

Quote: chipolata @ 27th March 2020, 11:43 AM

they've only gone and painted over Abbey Roads zebra crossing because of the pandemic.

It's part of the normal maintenance routine for zebra crossings: they're doing it now because the absence of people on the crossing (due to the clampdown on going out) allows them to do it without inconveniencing the hordes of Beatles fans that would otherwise be standing around complaining that the maintenance work is preventing them from walking across the iconic crossing.

Interestingly, the crossing that's being repainted is NOT (physically) the same crossing that the Beatles were walking across on the Abbey Road album cover.

It's in the same place, of course, but the original crossing was completely destroyed in 2018 when the road was resurfaced.

Sacrilege! :O

What's the difference between coronavirus and my mother's legs? Coronavirus won't spread forever.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th March 2020, 11:51 PM

You have not taken what paulted said as intended Billwill and the focus on how a headline about celebs was higher up. There was no encouragement of breaking government guidelines, no profanity and it was a light hearted jab at the media treating celebrity feuds at the same severity levels as an actual global crisis going on. See it for what it is man and for God's sake think of the children.

I can relate because the online tabloids continue to post stories that are counter productive and scare mongering. In other words Billwill we are in this together and we will stick together. I was going to follow that with an x which to me is a hug but to you might be a kiss and I don't want you to think I want to kiss a bloke. Especially with this virus going about.

Maybe just pen pals for a while, no pressure.

You still haven't understood have you!

It's not what I 'saw' in the message that matters, its what the invisible public viewers thought that matters. The second part of the message was irrelevant, just a poor joke, the first part implied that the Corvid-19 disease is just a sniffle, thats the bit I object to. Making light of a deadly disease is just idiotic and stupid and only funny to other idiots.

Here's a story about some stupid welsh youths:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/rise-arrests-people-deliberately-coughing-17965611?fbclid=IwAR248vfsvr7UfDKrH95WXMaCeDA6g2E_gk4I-Zz5JZJ46RbRlWYyRl4u1SM

Here's an example of message from a young woman in New Jersey. Talking about who will get the use of a ventilator if they get the virus:

ANNA:
This is the safest scariest most heartbreaking thing i have ever read. So basically it means they won't even try to save people like me, if I catch it I'm as good as dead....
Beyond terrifying.

CRYSTAL: (A friend):
I would take small comfort in the fact that they're thinking about it now and not in the moment. A case like hospitals in Katrina had to make these decisions in the moment and it was bad. Now, that doesn't mean they'll come up with the best decision....but its something. Maybe they can come up with a better solution than "healthiest people live"

ANNA:
it's still absolutely heartbreaking and devistating that they even have to think about it.
And how are they going to decide? I have sooo many medical conditions so are they just going to toss me to the side and let me die if I catch it, beacuse giving me a chance would be a strain on them??? It's terrifying for people like me. I didn't survive blood clots in my lungs, massive bone infections, rare heart conditions and near death 1000 times just for some virus to take me out because stupid people couldn't stay home. It's aweful.

CRYSTAL:
It's truly awful. If you want, I'll link you a podcast episode about the choices made during Katrina. However, it may be too much so let me know.
It really is awful we may have to make decisions like this at all. I worry about my friends, and my grandmothers, because some way or another they fall into one of the categories that might not be given priority care. If someones fight for life is stopped because of a careless administrative decision Id be furious and sad forever.
However, I can't ignore that this is a nessecary conversation if we want to avoid that. if they start talking about it now, they can prepare better. Like part of this is that they discovered they don't have enough ventilatiors. So they are trying to get more. They also don't have enough beds in most designated areas (thanks private hospitals) so they're seeing how they can best use their space while still keeping exposure low. Those are the type of things I think are good about the conversation happening. But we will see what comes of it.

There are tons of coronaviruses. So many that millions of humans - probably the majority - have them in their DNA while either living healthy lives or suffering from poor health for other reasons. The test kits can ascertain whether there are strands of coronaviruses in the DNA of a patient's system. Often such viruses have been inside them for years. They are normal. What the kits are unable to do is be sure on whether they are specifically Covid-19 OR whether they impact in a meaningful way on the entire genome OR whether they are even in sufficient quantities to have made an unwell person ill.

These kits, such as they are being used and the priority for use seems to be for famous people, simply pick up on any coronavirus trace and then claim that it is Covid-19, it is the entire genome that is affected, and it is the main cause of illness or, where death occurs, death. The claims are not hard science. Quite the opposite. Furthermore on 19 March, Britain removed Covid-19 from its list of highest level infectious diseases on the basis that the science was starting to imply a lower level of seriousness numerically than had previously been implied. This was BEFORE the major clampdown.

A few hours ago, Bosch of food freezer fame - and haven't those been selling well - announced that it had produced a new test kit which it claims can identify Covid-19. We'll see. Robert Bosch sits on the Davos based World Economic Forum''s Hydrogen Council which was established as recently as 2017 to dramatically shift transport over to hydrogen based systems. It is partnered by the European Investment Bank and had a major role at the G20 meeting in Japan in 2019.

The cost of hydrogen is expected to fall but there are concerns that the transition will not be made quickly enough for all people to save the planet. So a massive reduction of travel is an obvious step for preparing the public for longer term limits.This is not to say that there won't be travel and transport as we used to know it but there will be rather less of it in the years immediately after we are allowed to leave our front doors. The drop off would not have been accepted politically without the current radical drop which will paint any limited future transport in a better comparative light.

The CURRENT death rates in our hospitals are unlikely to be radically different from the death rates in our hospitals ordinarily at certain times of year but GPs would have attributed those before to other illnesses including flu-derived pneumonia. We used to go about our business oblivious to those truths , much as we live our lives forgetting our concerns of nuclear war. What it takes is a hefty top-down strategy to brainwash us out of those instincts for a purpose. This is not in any way to advise against complying with guidelines or to suggest that Covid-19 isn't somewhat virulent. But the massive range of symptoms reported and differing levels of severity do not heavily imply it is one disease.

Being offended by a comment on a COMEDY forum, is to reiterate my earlier post, rather trite given the current situation with the virus. Now I'm in a double negative state of being offended (I think?) by someone else's offense.
I'm so confused, could I be a snowflake? Please don't call me that.........It hurts????????????????????

Quote: paulted @ 27th March 2020, 5:15 PM

Being offended by a comment on a COMEDY forum, is to reiterate my earlier post, rather trite given the current situation with the virus. Now I'm in a double negative state of being offended (I think?) by someone else's offense.
I'm so confused, could I be a snowflake? Please don't call me that.........It hurts????????????????????

Rest assured you're not an evil person. Comedy is always at somebody's expense- There's no other way. Look at Billy Connelly. He either laughs art himself or at other people. It's the human condition.. if we don't do that we'll all be torn-faced arses and comedy will die.

Quote: Briosaid @ 27th March 2020, 7:37 PM

Rest assured you're not an evil person. Comedy is always at somebody's expense- There's no other way. Look at Billy Connelly. He either laughs art himself or at other people. It's the human condition.. if we don't do that we'll all be torn-faced arses and comedy will die.

Well said, good point. Hope the virus keeps away from your good self and your countrymen and women. and by the way, the greatest comedy of all time is Still Game. Not that I know hee-haw.

Quote: paulted @ 27th March 2020, 8:38 PM

Well said, good point. Hope the virus keeps away from your good self and your countrymen and women. and by the way, the greatest comedy of all time is Still Game. Not that I know hee-haw.

I keep trying to post a grinning face but It's not working. Once sat near Navid in the theatre - lovely man.

Oh no. Lots of posts of more than 5 lines!

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th March 2020, 9:09 PM

I always suspected "Surreyish" was code for Stepney and Poplar.

Actually it's not Surreyish any more. It's LondonboroughinsidetheM25.

Wishing Boris a speedy recovery and unbelievable how some people can post the hateful comments on twitter. Boris has always annoyed me with his oafish persona but as another human being I don't want to see him suffer and I can't imagine the psychological effect it could have on the country if the worst did happen. I don't understand how these people can post such offensive comments and not even bother to do it in disguise because they use their real names and photos.

"Fair game" is subjective and dubious to say the least, and also very dangerous. Sure, the likes of Hitler etc. are the dregs of humanity. But the bile directed at for example, Margaret Thatcher, Jeremy Corbyn, Simon Cowell, or Piers Morgan (all people who are marmite figures) is distasteful. These people are not criminals, and have families whose feelings should be taken into account. Get well soon Boris and good wishes to all infected folk