Kate & Koji

A very enjoyable half hour but not surprising due to the writing team.

Ah, we must have created a thread at exactly the same time! Can they be merged?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th March 2020, 8:31 PM

Ah, we must have created a thread at exactly the same time! Can they be merged?

Copy and paste I guess.

Obviously we had different opinions.

A splendid new sitcom. I laughed a lot - a particularly strong opening scene.

More than 5 million viewers tuned in. Hope it'll grow next week. An almost unprecedented chance for new TV comedy, amidst the current situation.

It's possible that when this idea was pitched, it was about a well-known TV copper who's retired and is now running a seafront café.

Jack Frost might have been the first choice from a comedic perspective but they were probably looking for a woman.

Helen Mirren was probably approached but replied à la John McEnroe, telling them they couldn't be serious.

Scott and Bailey were probably similarly dismissive.

After much thought, someone around the table probably whispered, "Vera?"

Somebody probably replied, "Isn't she still working?"

And the response would probably have been," I don't know, but she's 74. How much longer can she go on chasing crooks?"

And the rest, as they say, is comedy.

Just watched episode 2 and I enjoyed it again.

I can't see that it's particularly PC. A bit predictable at times and a few forced situations but still well written and acted.

Apparently it is actually filmed in a TV studio.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2020, 9:33 PM

Apparently it is actually filmed in a TV studio.

It is! With a real, live audience and everything.

This is a very strange sitcom.

It's not great comedy - not by a very long way - but, as entertainment for the masses, it's funny enough.

Or, at least it's funny enough on paper: the script is packed with decent lines, some of them very decent, but some of the best lines get almost no reaction from the audience while some of the weakest get a big laugh. That, of course, could be due to differences in comedic perception between the audience and my good self so it's hardly a big deal.

What is a big deal, however, is that none of the cast seems to be enjoying the proceedings. None of them appears to be a naturally funny person and all of them are simply delivering their lines in exactly the way one might expect a not-very-funny person to deliver a well-crafted comedy line.

A surprising number of talented actors are on display but I think every one of them might be better employed in another production.

Perhaps the program's biggest drawback is that neither Kate nor Koji is very likeable and, in a sitcom, if your stars aren't likeable, that's a problem.

I'd recast Kate, Koji and almost everybody else.

Having said all the above, you can bet your bottom dollar this will be re-commissioned! Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th March 2020, 9:37 AM

What is a big deal, however, is that none of the cast seems to be enjoying the proceedings. None of them appears to be a naturally funny person and all of them are simply delivering their lines in exactly the way one might expect a not-very-funny person to deliver a well-crafted comedy line.

It seems similar to Count Arthur Strong. I'm kind of confused by your reaction. It's no good telegraphing every joke, as if you're a stand-up, you need to be a bit subtler than that. No every sitcom is Blackadder. Brenda Blethyn was in Chance in a Million and it has an actor from the Inbetweeners so they do have form.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th March 2020, 10:43 AM

It seems similar to Count Arthur Strong. I'm kind of confused by your reaction. It's no good telegraphing every joke, as if you're a stand-up, you need to be a bit subtler than that. No every sitcom is Blackadder. Brenda Blethyn was in Chance in a Million and it has an actor from the Inbetweeners so they do have form.

Chance in a Million had the added bonus of the premise allowing for complex comic plotting so that in addition to the dialogue the action was built around funny situations. With this, there isn't an abundance of plot, which isn't necessarily a problem if your main characters are engaging enough but I'm just not particularly invested in them.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th March 2020, 9:37 AM

This is a very strange sitcom.

It's not great comedy - not by a very long way - but, as entertainment for the masses, it's funny enough.

Or, at least it's funny enough on paper: the script is packed with decent lines, some of them very decent, but some of the best lines get almost no reaction from the audience while some of the weakest get a big laugh.

I can't remember it now but I do remember there was one line that I thought was very funny but got no reaction whatsoever.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th March 2020, 9:39 PM

It is! With a real, live audience and everything.

Have you been to see it recorded?

Quote: Chappers @ 26th March 2020, 8:30 PM

Have you been to see it recorded?

I have indeed. Next week's, Episode 3, specifically.

If I were in charge of production, I'd get the entire cast into a room and show them Episodes 1 and 2.

I'd say, "Okay, that's how you do it sober - but now we're going to try it another way."

At that moment, several drinks trollies would be pushed into the room and everybody would drink until they were quite relaxed.

Then, we'd all go and shoot Episode 3.

And, I bet it would be a spectacular improvement!

I enjoyed this sitcom and like the doc very much

Thanks for the heads up on this. Great to see Brenda Blething in a quality comedy. What a scalp , she was a powerhouse on the big screen. Her performances in Secrets & Lies and Little Voices were sublime. She's pretty good in this too and the Dr holds his own.