Coronavirus Page 11

Skills From History To Acquire

When my newly married parents moved into their gas lit flat in 1956, it was in a street that was locally named the League of Nations. Unusually, the inhabitants of that part of the Elephant and Castle were as diverse in background as they would be today. Many were extremely poor. The poorest was a Cypriot woman who would be outside organising her evening meal when Mum and Dad returned from work. That organisation involved running around the concourse with her arms held wide and whistling like a bird until a pigeon flew close enough for her to catch. Then she would kill it and pluck it right in front of my father's briefcase. In these times of non-existent supermarket slots, learn to catch a pigeon for your dinner. And if you have a spare briefcase from the days when you worked try turning that briefcase into a crust for a pie.

The headquarters of the League of Nations was, of course, in Geneva which in more recent history has been home to the European part of the United Nations. But on 12 December 1602 the forces of the Duke of Savoy, under the command of the seigneur d'Albigny, and those of Charles Emmanuel's brother-in-law, Philip III of Spain, launched an attack on that city. Catherine Cheynel ("Mère Royaume"), originally from Lyon and the wife of Pierre Royaume, seized a large cauldron of hot soup and poured it over Geneva's city walls on the attackers. The heavy cauldron of boiling soup landed on the head of a Savoyard attacker, killing him. The commotion that this caused also helped to rouse the townsfolk to defend the city. Employ this method should anyone come within six feet of your front door. Try to use Big Soup as it has big bits in it.

Living statues. A living statue is a street artist who poses as a statue or mannequin, usually with realistic statue-like makeup, sometimes for hours at a time. The tableau vivant, or group of living statues, was a regular feature of medieval and Renaissance festivities and pageantry, such as royal entries by rulers into cities. Typically a group enacting a scene would be mounted on an elaborate stand decorated to look like a monument, placed on the route of the procession.

A living statue appeared in a scene of the 1945 French masterpiece film Les enfants du paradis and early living statue pioneers include the London-based artists Gilbert and George in the 1960s. In the early years of the 20th century, the German dancer Olga Desmond put on "Evenings of Beauty" in which she posed nude in imitation of classical works of art ('living pictures'). Do consider using all your free time constructively by becoming a living statue but ensure that when doing so you sit "sans tableau vivant" alone high up in a tree. When in disguise move just a tad momentarily to drop coconuts or canon balls on anyone walking below you. Play your old cassette of the theme tune to Surprise Surprise.

Self isolation is like prison. But the sex isn't as good.

So far, the coronavirus death toll in the UK is 177.

Over the last five years, "normal" flu has killed 17,000 people annually in England alone.

An encouraging statistic on the face of it as far as coronavirus is concerned.

Could we be making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Or are we about to see a spectacular escalation in coronavirus mortality?

Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, said recently in an appearance before the Health Select Committee, that the hope was to keep the death toll below 20,000 by suppressing the virus.

If nothing at all were done to slow the spread, experts from Imperial College London suggest there would be 500,000 deaths.

The government's previous measures, they said would result in about 250,000 deaths.

The current Draconian measures are expected to reduce the ultimate death toll to 20,000 or less.

Fingers crossed we'll all still be here when it's over!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st March 2020, 8:39 AM

Over the last five years, "normal" flu has killed 17,000 people annually in England alone.

Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, said recently in an appearance before the Health Select Committee, that the hope was to keep the death toll below 20,000 by suppressing the virus.

If nothing at all were done to slow the spread, experts from Imperial College London suggest there would be 500,000 deaths.

The government's previous measures, they said would result in about 250,000 deaths.

The current Draconian measures are expected to reduce the ultimate death toll to 20,000 or less.

Yes.

THE TRUE STATISTICS

The position is that it could be between 20,000 and 250,000 deaths.

Possibly.

It's a bit like saying you could be aged between 20 and 250.

There are 20,000 suicides in the UK every 3-4 years and there have been over 500,000 in my lifetime but no one bats an eyelid.

Cancer deaths in the UK are around 165,000 per annum.

Total number of deaths annually in the UK is 500,000 to 600,000.

The paltry figure for flu deaths - a few thousand - is not all to do with the vaccine. It is more than partially down to the fact that flu is not often cited on a death certificate as the cause of death even if it is what tips those with serious health conditions over the edge (and it often is). It just goes down as organ failure or pneumonia.

In contrast, EVERY death so far in a patient known to have coronavirus (and this applies not only in the UK but across the globe) has been recorded as a coronavirus death. Hence when it comes to flu v coronavirus numbers, this is absolutely a case of trying to compare apples and pears. It is not like with like.

No one knows how many deaths were caused by coronavirus and how many deaths would just have happened anyway. Even the professional scientists when really pressed admit this.

177 coronavirus deaths have been recorded in about one month and that will rise hugely but in each month of this year there would ordinarily be 40,000-50,000 - sometimes closer to 60,000 - deaths in the UK. That's a gigantic differential.

Partly, then, the measures are about protection. Partly they are about protecting international governments' faces re inadequate funding for health services in the last 50 years. That will be all too clear to see with coronavirus peaks..........

THE TRUE STRATEGY

............And partly it is - as I said before - a deliberate strategy for changing the world economic order permanently.

I expect the concept of money to be alive and well in five years time but only for the Top 5% and the other 95% will be organised around the concept of always having an equal number of small (electronic) pebbles.

As for liberal democracy, the diversity and identity aspects are pretty safe but that provides an excuse to clamp down hard on travel, to pick and choose when to hold elections and referendums and then which outcomes to ignore or override and to decouple unhealthy lifestyle from health support while in the long term not actually banning anything much.

(On the latter, the curve ball will be legalising dope - it will as a trick look like greater liberalism but if it turns out to have unknown damaging effects several decades on, no state will be picking up the bill to repair health).

All of which is kind of a fascism obscured by adherence to minority rights and - with reductions in movement - sensitivities to the planet so that it can almost look like something other than fascism and quickly gain widespread compliance. Which it will at least do among those who are currently very young.

And it always had to end this way. If you allow people in their millions to pretend that they are birds merely so as to be able to see Beijing, the Amazon and Las Vegas, nature will ultimately determine that the rather more humble will be prevented walking a mile from Somerset into Devon.

So, yes. What the governments say is true. And what they say is not true.

Continue to call me Half Icke.

I believe in deja vu. Today I looked out of my window and there was f**k all except a bunch of dicks outside the supermarket like there's no tomorrow and the occasional burst of shit music. And I thought, I'm sure this has happened before.

The BBC is reporting that the UK coronavirus death toll is now 233 .

The number of people with coronavirus who have died is now 220 in England, seven in Scotland, five in Wales and one in Northern Ireland

Boris has said we can "turn the tide " in the next 12 weeks and we can "send coronavirus packing".

However, he doesn't say the virus will be sent packing within the next 12 weeks. In fact, he doesn't give any indication of when the danger may be over.

Apparently no country in the world has a clue how they are going to put an end to the danger.

One of the few things upon which everybody is agreed is that the current restriction cannot possibly remain in place for any substantial period. If they did, the country would simply collapse and become an economic wasteland. The same is true, of course, of any other country who is forced to employ similarly Draconian measures.

Another thing upon which everybody is agreed is that the very moment the Draconian restrictions are lifted, the virus is going to reassert itself and wreak havoc.

If I interpret the above information correctly, it suggests that we are going to spend an almost unimaginable amount of money to delay the inevitable horror for a relatively short time.

But who knows?

Something may turn up.

"send coronavirus packing".

Did he really say that? Oh well,CARRY ON ENGLAND!

Quote: john tregorran @ 21st March 2020, 8:02 PM

"send coronavirus packing".

Did he really say that? Oh well,CARRY ON ENGLAND!

What about its troubles?

Will they be up in an old kit bag?

Cor blimey You gotta laff aint yer? Something like that anyway.

In Italy, 800 people with the virus died In the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile, in London, a great many people seem determined to get together and carry on partying.

(The Daily Mail has photographs to prove it!)

Apparently, the queen will soon address the nation in order to calm our nerves as the coronavirus crisis continues.

Seriously?

I've nothing against the dear old lady on a personal basis but surely she can see she's just about the last person anybody would want to hear from on the subject of coronavirus.

It's 2020, not 1955!

Someone needs to lock her in an isolation chamber because you're only one tiny microbe away from King Charles. (Although he's a bit long in the tooth, too.)

But "corona" means "crown" so maybe she's the perfect choice...

Hi.

Smiley Miley here. You may recall me from the days of the Radio 1 Roadshow. So where was I yesterday? Well, I was - as the lucky goody bag winners guessed - on the northern sunshine beach at Skegness.

It was the same old Smiley,. playing Bye Bye Baby by the Bay City Rollers to all you moping teenagers. Every one of you, in fact, who can barely be arsed to turn the dial on your transistor wireless sets to another station, just because you are imprisoned in your own house.

But sadly as you will also have heard it was only to the seagulls when live. There wasn't anything moving in Skeggy except their wings which keep on flapping, the discs which keep on rolling, and my gigantic tackle which has always kept on living without any instruction at all.

How I would love to be able to tell you that each of our feathered friends was responsible enough to maintain a six foot distance. Sadly, pop pickers that was not the case. So that was then the storm troopers appeared and the roadshow in its usual form was banned.

I will name that decision making committee now as there is no reason why any of its members should enjoy anonymity. It was Tony Brandon, Maria Whittaker, Baroness Warnock, David Essex and Lord Reith. Apparently Reith stepped in at the last minute to replace the senior boss Mike Reid who rang in to say that he was all lost in a supermarket.

Anyways, where am I today.? Remember the Flying Eye? He's sitting six feet from me and we are not on a beach as we can't be. We're currently looking down at the traffic jam which stretches from Llandudno to Redruth.

Later Sally Traffic will provide you with an update on whether those of you in it will ever get out of it in the next few months and, if not, well then that is the time for Dr Alan Maryon Davies.

In a special coronavirus edition of "Teenspot", he will advise whether being stuck in a jam is actually the most effective form of self-isolation, especially when it is extended to, say, Penge.

I say we are looking down. It's all really just a speck to us, though it's informed by the BBC World Service, the only station I listen to myself. As soon as the police clamped down on the candyfloss, Eye and I got on the blower to Elon Musk.

We gave him our collection of 10,000 Rolls Royces and filled out the forms to show we are normally married. Then he gave us a Mars Mobile. We're just past Venus as I speak and should be on Mars itself by Thursday playing Drupi's Vado Via. That is, if the playlists haven't in the meantime been made even more rigid and there is an available delivery slot.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st March 2020, 8:39 AM

Nobody knows what the death toll is because so few people are being tested. And as you're lonely to infect three people unlike one with flu, the true numbers are likely to be much, much higher.