Sandylands: Back from the dead?

We all know Meghan Markle is the Duchess of Sussex but here's a question for you: who is Chancellor of the University of Sussex?

Sorry, time's up - the answer is Sanjeev Bhaskar.

Why do I mention that? No reason other than I was with a few people last night talking about forthcoming new comedies and that interesting bit of trivia just happened to pop up.

The actual topic of the conversation was a new comedy set in an English seaside resort in which Sanjeev's character disappears, is declared dead but subsequently returns secretly to enjoy the insurance money.

Some of the other cast members mentioned suggest that the production, although cheerful, will certainly not be cheap.

As a fan of Sanjeev, I hope we see this project come to fruition.

I posted the above bit of info six months ago and I can tell you that the project has, in fact, come to fruition: it's a comedy-drama called "Sandylands" (unless they change it at the last minute) and it should be available on your TV screens very soon - that is, of course, if they don't decide to take it out onto the beach in the middle of the night and bury it.

Why do I say that? Basically, because I'm disappointed: I was expecting something very much better.

Comedy is subjective, of course, so you might think it's marvellous.

But I bet you don't! Laughing out loud

The series starts tonight, at 10pm on Gold.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th March 2020, 4:38 PM

The series starts tonight, at 10pm on Gold.

The second episode is at 10 pm tomorrow night.

The third (and final) episode is at 10 pm the following night.

Only three episodes?

And each one 40 minutes in length (including ads)?

And transmitted on three consecutive evenings?

Unusual for a sitcom, to say the least.

PS. Whether you love it or loathe it, I think you might agree the opening titles sequence is very nice.

I can't watch this on catchup without paying.

Thought this was a splendid series. Bit of an odd ending, but hopefully the teased Series 2 will indeed follow and it'll clean up and tie up all those plot lines.

One IMDb reviewer says "Lovable characters, a cracking seaside setting, a well-written script executed brilliantly by a 5-star cast. Sandylands is a breath of fresh air. Can't wait for Series 2. Only wish there were more episodes per series; it was too short."

Another says " I would suggest you really don't bother watching this horrendous attempt at comedy, the plot is practically non-existent, the performances are just horrendous stereotypes, the acting is wooden and I have yet to find a joke that wasn't done to death during the Carry-On franchise."

As ever, comedy is subjective! Laughing out loud

You probably could've gotten at least one more episode from the first series just by giving it all a bit more time to breathe.

I watched the first 20 mins of episode one and didn't even nearly laugh once I'm afraid.

Quote: Will Cam @ 8th March 2020, 6:18 PM

I watched the first 20 mins of episode one and didn't even nearly laugh once I'm afraid.

The perils of "comedy drama"?

I thoroughly enjoyed this series, great performances from all of the cast with some very funny moments. I'd happily welcome a Series 2.

It was great to see Weston Super Mare on screen too, the street used for Swallow's B & B, I used to stop at a B&B on that street so it was great to watch to recognise all the locations.

I did enjoy this though struggled to see the point of it all. By the time the story was getting started it was over. I really liked David Walliams and Sophie Thompson together.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 15th March 2020, 4:07 PM

I did enjoy this though struggled to see the point of it all. By the time the story was getting started it was over.

Yeah, it would definitely have benefited from a proper 6-episode run rather than Gold's weird 3-part fetish.

Meh Sanjeev and Walliams are two actors that I find overly hammy and scene chewers in a bad way.
I wanted to like it but it's all a bit too trite.
Beautifully shot and great locations though!

Dismal rubbish - to compare it unfavourably to the Carry On films is an injustice!