Self-isolation

So you've got the Coronavirus and have to self-isolate for two weeks. you don't want to mope around the house. TV is full of dreary dramas (mainly police) so which 5 films comedy films would you recommend to guarantee a few hours release from the monotony. Here's mine.

Little Miss Sunshine
So I married An Axe Murderer
The Birdcage
Overboard (the original, not the shitty remake)
RV

The Man With Two Brains
Groundhog Day
Green For Danger
School For Scoundrels
Young Frankenstein

What's Up Doc
A Fire has Been Arranged
Smart Alec (the 1951 film with Leslie Dwyer & Charles Hawtrey)
Sailor Beware
Carry On Regardless

And since that's only five films to last me a fortnight, I'd have the box sets of the Beiderbecke Trilogy & the Booze Cruise for a little further light entertainment to back those up.

Annie Hall
The Producers
The Goodbye Girl
Duck Soup
Way Out West

And I'd continue on watching "Succession", which is brilliantly funny in it's own awful way.

Quote: Will Cam @ 14th March 2020, 9:09 AM

TV is full of dreary dramas (mainly police)

I'd thought this was a hypothetical, but on reading this I realise it's all too real.

Annie Hall
The Blues Brothers
Withnail and I
The Sunshine Boys (original version with George Burns and Walter Matthau)
Monty Python's Life of Brian

Of those previously mentioned, I absolutely love What's Up Doc which is an underrated hoot and Groundhog Day which, while it has many outdoors scenes, is a suitable reflection of having day after day as roughly the same. I've never seen The Goodbye Girl and have always wanted to. This then might be that moment, The Blues Brothers, Withnail and I, The Producers, Duck Soup, the Carry Ons..........in fact, almost everything people have mentioned would be hard to criticise.

Returning to Groundhog Day for one moment - ! - it does appear post Brexit to sit in a brand new category of our times. Hotel California, You can check out any time you like but you can never leave, Hence, see The Truman Show which on its release I declared uneasily was a deep work of similar genius although Truman is far more sinister in tone than Groundhog. It could in these days be a bit too close to the bone. And when it comes to all round creepiness, I am not so sure that I would easily stomach right now watching Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

The Airplane films will no doubt be permissible once the new global Soviet brain control programme is fully underway. A nice bit of anti-travel propaganda for the very last fools who believe that they still want to get on an aeroplane. I love those films but my cousin and I watched them on the day of my Grandad's funeral so they also have a difficult-ish connotation for me. As young guys, we relieved any unexpressed upset by laughing our heads off to them uncontrollably.

I also associate Waynes World and Ferris Bueller's Day Off with company. 20-something post student meet ups - in Norwich as it happened - around beers and curry, They were very much a social event. In contrast, when I lived alone in a flat I did have about three years of jumping on the video rental bandwagon with a collection of Empire magazines alongside. Clerks occurred at that time and was suitably indie along with the films of Linklater and Channel 4 releases.

Possibly one of the rudest films ever made, I was initially doubtful but not only laughed out loud hysterically but had to throw myself to the floor holding my sides. The laughter completely took me over so that I had no say whatsoever on my physical movements. I am rather grateful that I had that as part of my personality. Many never do. I'm not sure that I do now. Did I ever want to make a film? No - not really - but if I had ever had an opportunity to be involved in one that was made, it would probably be Clerks. All that strange/madcap filming at night so the shop could be open in the daytime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a3zXJ7biqI

Self isolation- A wish list.
Ant and Dec
Tony Blair
Robbie Williams
Danny Dyer
The Beckhams
Harry and Meghan
Anyone with the surname Kardashian

Please.....forever

Kingpin
Theres Something About Mary
Dumb & Dumber
Stir Crazy
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

In Dumb & Dumber Jim Carrey was paid $7 million but Jeff Daniels was only paid $50,000. The studio didn't want Daniels so they made the very low salary offer hoping he wouldn't accept.

:O I did not know that! Outrageous!

Time Bandits
Goonies
Elf
Team America
Life of Brian

Some good ones here. Groundhog Day looks like a perfect choice as it gives you the feeling of going on forever. In reality it's only 11 minutes long. The rest is just repeated scenes, clever and cheap.

My Cousin Vinny
Booksmart
A Fish Called Wanda
Still Crazy
Jackass 3 (because in tough times nothing makes me laugh more than some utterly puerile slapstick)

I am going to add a sixth and say Paddington 2 because that film can win over the most cynical of hearts.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th March 2020, 3:49 PM

Of those previously mentioned, I absolutely love What's Up Doc which is an underrated hoot and Groundhog Day which, while it has many outdoors scenes, is a suitable reflection of having day after day as roughly the same. I've never seen The Goodbye Girl and have always wanted to. This then might be that moment, The Blues Brothers, Withnail and I, The Producers, Duck Soup, the Carry Ons..........in fact, almost everything people have mentioned would be hard to criticise.

Returning to Groundhog Day for one moment - ! - it does appear post Brexit to sit in a brand new category of our times. Hotel California, You can check out any time you like but you can never leave, Hence, see The Truman Show which on its release I declared uneasily was a deep work of similar genius although Truman is far more sinister in tone than Groundhog. It could in these days be a bit too close to the bone. And when it comes to all round creepiness, I am not so sure that I would easily stomach right now watching Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

The Airplane films will no doubt be permissible once the new global Soviet brain control programme is fully underway. A nice bit of anti-travel propaganda for the very last fools who believe that they still want to get on an aeroplane. I love those films but my cousin and I watched them on the day of my Grandad's funeral so they also have a difficult-ish connotation for me. As young guys, we relieved any unexpressed upset by laughing our heads off to them uncontrollably.

I also associate Waynes World and Ferris Bueller's Day Off with company. 20-something post student meet ups - in Norwich as it happened - around beers and curry, They were very much a social event. In contrast, when I lived alone in a flat I did have about three years of jumping on the video rental bandwagon with a collection of Empire magazines alongside. Clerks occurred at that time and was suitably indie along with the films of Linklater and Channel 4 releases.

Possibly one of the rudest films ever made, I was initially doubtful but not only laughed out loud hysterically but had to throw myself to the floor holding my sides. The laughter completely took me over so that I had no say whatsoever on my physical movements. I am rather grateful that I had that as part of my personality. Many never do. I'm not sure that I do now. Did I ever want to make a film? No - not really - but if I had ever had an opportunity to be involved in one that was made, it would probably be Clerks. All that strange/madcap filming at night so the shop could be open in the daytime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a3zXJ7biqI

:) Horse I've put what I believe to be your five choices in a little list, hope I've got them right -

What's Up Doc?
Groundhog Day
Wayne's World
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Clerks

Quote: Aaron @ 14th March 2020, 6:24 PM

:O I did not know that! Outrageous!

I don't think it helped Daniels' career as I don't know of any films he's been in since and he was becoming established with Arachnophobia and Speed at the time. There were probably members of the film crew earning as much as one of the co-stars but maybe he thought being in a film with Carrey was too good to resist and I can't blame him.