The Goodies Page 5

A discussion and Q&A with Tim Brooke-Taylor, Bill Oddie and Graeme Garden at BFI Southbank on Sunday 19 April:

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=764F89EF-49D4-43BB-8EB0-751337176BDE&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=89E87959-3A18-4E3B-A34E-94AAE16E2517

Slowly working my way through the box set. The first series was disappointing. Not necessarily bad but just a bit dull. One or two highlights but a lot of padding.

The second series has been much more entertaining. Good to see Bernard Bresslaw and Stanley Baxter guesting in the Loch Ness one.

A lot more music than I remember from my childhood and most of it not great. Feels a bit like the tunes in I'm Sorry I'll.... and essentially filler or a compromise to keep all the writers happy.

I don't remember any of the episodes I've watched so far so I'm feeling positive that the later series will be as funny and enjoyable as I remember them.

I think the jury is still out on whether it was money well spent though. About £30 (half price at the time) in a sale but still a lot nowadays for a box set,

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 14th March 2020, 12:20 AM

I think the jury is still out on whether it was money well spent though. About £30 (half price at the time) in a sale but still a lot nowadays for a box set,

The jury has come back and decided I got carried away in the heat of the moment when I bought the box-set, a few years ago.

Not quite at the end yet, but just watched the one in Series 8 "Kung Fu Capers" that some chap died of laughter watching, and would like to know why I thought this was so good when I used to watch them all back in the 1970s.

AND cannot get my head around the fact that Graeme Garden and Tim Brooke-Taylor were so brilliantly funny in the likes of ISIHAC and ISIRTA. Utter mystery to me.

It's now becoming a chore to watch them to be quite honest

The worst thing about the Goodies was Bill Oddie

Annoying hairy fool

I think the fact I've only got to the second or third series suggests I'm finding them a bit of chore as well. There's one or two laugh out loud moments in each episode but generally it's fairly predictable and slow.

I also think any repeat would come with the warning about reflecting the attitudes of the time as they're quite dated. And some of the celebrities named in jokes have quite different reputations now.

I found that I've actually finally got That's TV (was that the station that repeated Monty Python?) and watched an old episode of the Goodies the other night.

It wasn't that great but it's the sort of thing the whole family could watch together. Of course that never happens today.

Incidentally Aaron another one with two threads. Do you want me to do it for you or now I've shown you how to "search" maybe you could do it yourself.

The Goodies has a good reputation here in Australia among Generation X. Endlessly rerun in the 70s and 80s by the ABC.

With my name, The Goodies theme tune was often sung to me when I turned up somewhere.
And usually the yum yum part was changed to dumb dumb.

Quote: Natalie Salat @ 16th September 2022, 4:26 AM

The Goodies has a good reputation here in Australia among Generation X. Endlessly rerun in the 70s and 80s by the ABC.

I think I've said this elsewhere on this thread, I'm struggling to work my way through the box set (a biggun!) as I'm finding the comedy hasn't travelled well, and wonder now what I saw in it when it was first broadcast.

Quote: Natalie Salat @ 16th September 2022, 4:26 AM

What's Billy Idol got to do with it?

Quote: Chappers @ 16th September 2022, 9:21 PM

What's Billy Idol got to do with it?

The Wedding Singer: "You can't talk to Billy Idol that way!"

Decisions, decisions - two threads under "Sitcoms"........................

So, finished the massive box-set at last and I have to be honest and say I wish I hadn't splashed out all that money when this set was launched.

It hasn't travelled well, and I'm at a loss to remember what I saw funny in it in the first place, which is surprising to me as the three of them were in the team, along with John Cleese, Jo Kendall and to a lesser extent David Hatch (announcer/later producer) who did the ISIRTA radio series, which was hilarious and I still listen to from my cassettes or CDs.

It's not great

But it did get better towards the end I thought

It's like Benny Hill and Monty Python rolled into one

I loved it when I was spotty teen, but essentially it's a kids programme, isn't it?
Or is that harsh?

Yes............

Started out on BBC2 at 10pm, then got moved to I think, BBC 1 with a 9.00pm slot..............