Big Comedy Conference 2020

Hello!

We are delighted to announce the first speakers for this year's Big Comedy Conference, focused on writing comedy for broadcast.

We'll be joined for a keynote speech by WGGB President, Sandi Toksvig OBE - and a headline session with the brilliant Lee Mack, writer and star of what is now Britain's longest-running television sitcom.

We've other exciting names - producers, writers and executives - to reveal in the following weeks, but with those two alone, why would you not buy a ticket right now?

The conference will take place in Holborn, central London, on Saturday 25th April from 9:30am to 6pm, and we're currently running a Super Early Bird ticket offer of just £85 for BCG Pro members.

Find out more and book now: https://www.comedy.co.uk/pro/conference/

Can't wait!! :)

I'm sure it's very much vfm and will be of great benefit to those who attend.
However, and this isn't a criticism, I can't justify paying the ticket price.
Try and cope without me!

Why do these conference things only last a day? I suppose it's the expense of a venue and such like.

I'm sure the venue, where ever it is in Holborn, isn't cheap so can understand that tickets would not be a bargain price.
Plus I get the BCG doesn't have money to burn.
I imagine previous conferences would be able to give a fair indication of 'bums on seats' required which should help with venue choice, though there would be a certain speculation/projection required.
I wonder if the speakers are being paid fees or expenses only (giving back etc)?
Whatever, I'm sorry to miss out.
Next time, maybe.

Apparently, early bird tickets should cost £185.

Anybody who thinks that's even remotely reasonable is going to be dancing for joy at the prospect of £100 discount.

Mind you, my mind isn't on the cost: it's on whatever the health risks are going to be when April 25th comes around.

If the coronavirus is all "fake news" as Donald would have us believe, it should be a great day out.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it's a big number. We're honestly doing this as cheap as we can. We pay all speakers (so that's a heavy bill - we've lots of people we've yet to announce), and - as you suggest - hiring a nice central London venue with multiple rooms (the lovely new-ish London School Of Economics building in this case), on a weekend, is an eye-watering invoice. There's lots of other costs too, like lunch and refreshments.

Just in case it's not clear, we're heavily subsiding BCG Pro members (50% off!)... so our ticket price there is actually cheaper than our 2014 conference was... although I appreciate it's still not pocket money, so sorry to hear you can't make it garyd.

Happy to answer any other questions anyone may have...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th March 2020, 9:32 AM

Why do these conference things only last a day? I suppose it's the expense of a venue and such like.

Yes, essentially we couldn't afford to hire the venue for two days! Also though, I think most people are probably burned out after a day. And, given it's a weekend, some people have family things to do on the other day.

Plus, you know, London hotel prices.

The only comment i have is - last time i went, i struggled with deciding which meeting room to choose as the ones i liked clashed. Also the more popular speakers filled up quickly. So it was a little frustrating that i ended up missing out on meetings i was really interested in.
Not sure what you can do to prevent this - but would suggest fewer 'alternatives' and bigger rooms for the 'big names'.
Anyway good luck! I hope it goes well.

Quote: playfull @ 11th March 2020, 8:35 AM

Not sure what you can do to prevent this - but would suggest fewer 'alternatives' and bigger rooms for the 'big names'.

Done and done!

Some of those names:

Duck Quacks Don't Echo. Lee Mack. Copyright: Magnum Media
QI. Sandi Toksvig. Copyright: TalkbackThames
Red Dwarf. Doug Naylor. Copyright: Joe Pepler / PinPep
Timewasters. Nick (Daniel Lawrence Taylor). Copyright: Big Talk Productions
Image shows from L to R: James Cary, Dave Cohen. Copyright: Aaron Brown

You've got Crash Text Dummies coming?

Quote: Aaron @ 11th March 2020, 1:11 PM

Done and done!

Well that was easy...what shall i ask for next...?