Bob Monkhouse: The Last Stand

You may have seen a clip from Bob's "The Last Stand" that he made in 2003 to a select group in the last documentary about him, well now you can see the entire gig on Boxing Day night at 9.00pm BBC4, and this says it all: -

"Summer 2003 and Bob Monkhouse entertains a room full of comedians with stand-up, chat and a comedy masterclass. The night became the stuff of legend among comedians, but was never transmitted until now"

Thanks for the heads-up Herc.

Just seen this. My God, what a wonderful, wonderful programme. Just what I needed, cried laughing, and never expected to see Mike Yarwood either! Definitely keeping this one, very special stuff.

Most enjoyable and insightful, although could maybe have done without so many talking heads, which seemed to interrupt the flow of Bob's set.

My God, I bet he can tell a tale or two of what he had seen and experienced over the years - I read his biog. "Crying With Laughter" when it came out many years ago and that was quite juicy with bits about Diana Dors and Frankie Howerd that got him a little bit of hot water for being too revealing.

Just as a little footnote: -

I read his book when I was living in Hertfordshire and through a bit of research I found out where he lived (the farmhouse was called Claridge's, which I thought he had had renamed just so he could say that he lived at Claridges; but apparently that was what the previous owner/farmer had called it for a number of years before Bob bought it.) Anyway, I wrote to tell him how much I enjoyed the book and thought no more about it. About two/three weeks later I get a hand written letter from him thanking me for taking the time to write! Him thanking me!!

There's not many in show biz would do that - lovely man, superb comic.

Excellent programme. A diamond in a pretty dire Christmas schedule.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th December 2016, 9:56 AM

Most enjoyable and insightful, although could maybe have done without so many talking heads, which seemed to interrupt the flow of Bob's set.

My God, I bet he can tell a tale or two of what he had seen and experienced over the years - I read his biog. "Crying With Laughter" when it came out many years ago and that was quite juicy with bits about Diana Dors and Frankie Howerd that got him a little bit of hot water for being too revealing.

Just as a little footnote: -

I read his book when I was living in Hertfordshire and through a bit of research I found out where he lived (the farmhouse was called Claridge's, which I thought he had had renamed just so he could say that he lived at Claridges; but apparently that was what the previous owner/farmer had called it for a number of years before Bob bought it.) Anyway, I wrote to tell him how much I enjoyed the book and thought no more about it. About two/three weeks later I get a hand written letter from him thanking me for taking the time to write! Him thanking me!!

There's not many in show biz would do that - lovely man, superb comic.

Nice.
I remember thinking at the time when Denis Goodwin went to the USA.
Well,he's the one that's made it big.
:|

Bob also had a follow-up book based on his diaries called Over the Limit.

This was a nice little show, seemed a bit odd dragging Mike Yarwood out but it was enjoyable.

In the world of Sylvia Plath, f**king awesome.