Repulsive Politician of the Year Award Page 4

Dominic Cummings. He's not the only vicious and unpleasant bully to be associated with No. 10 (Alistair Campbell was another), but he's the one we've got now.

Is he actually a Politician though? I thought he was just an "advisor".

Ok. I guess he is in Politics.

He kind of is. You don't seem to like people correcting you though so...

I've noticed noticed that when the likes of John McDonnell and Len McCluskey appear on TV discussing Rebecca Long Bailey and Angela Rayner, they refer to them as Becky and Angie. This appears to me to be quite patronising, almost like they are teenagers who have "done well and are good little girls". In the same interview, Red Len didn't refer to Corbyn and Burgon as Jezza or Dickie.The Labour Party is full of such jurassic men and are the least progressive party in Britain.

Quote: paulted @ 7th March 2020, 8:07 PM

I've noticed noticed that when the likes of John McDonnell and Len McCluskey appear on TV discussing Rebecca Long Bailey and Angela Rayner, they refer to them as Becky and Angie. This appears to me to be quite patronising, almost like they are teenagers who have "done well and are good little girls". In the same interview, Red Len didn't refer to Corbyn and Burgon as Jezza or Dickie.The Labour Party is full of such jurassic men and are the least progressive party in Britain.

Some names just abbreviate more easily than others e.g. Leonard McCluskey to 'Len'.
Gender's got nothing to do with it!
Labour are still far more progressive than a number of parties e.g. UKIP. The Brexit Party. Or the Tories...

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th March 2020, 9:54 AM

Some names just abbreviate more easily than others e.g. Leonard McCluskey to 'Len'.
Labour are still far more progressive than a number of parties e.g. UKIP. The Brexit Party. Or the Tories...

...... and still yet to have a female leader or anyone from an ethnic background in a cabinet role.

Quote: paulted @ 8th March 2020, 8:17 PM

...... and still yet to have a female leader or anyone from an ethnic background in a cabinet role.

Wrong, actually. Both the first ever black cabinet minister and the first ever black cabinet minister (also, the first ever woman cabinet minister generally) were appointed under Labour.
Today, around half of Labour MPs are women. Only around one in four Tory MPs are.
One in five Labour MPs are now black or minority ethnic, compared with 6% of Conservatives.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th March 2020, 9:54 AM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

There's a simmering tension coming through in a few posts here, chaps. Let's calm things down a bit.

Chappers, you're correct that Cummings isn't actually a politician.

paulted, you're right that the shortening of those names is slightly jarring at times, and it certainly feels patronising when it's coming from certain pompous arseholes - it's not like 'Len' McCluskey or 'Tony' Blair where they're the names we know them by generally; but I'm not sure it's particularly gender-based. Lisa Nandy has been referring to 'Becky', so I think it's just the name she goes by in close circles.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th March 2020, 11:39 AM

There's a simmering tension coming through in a few posts here, chaps.

Don't take away our simmering tension, it's all we've got left at the BCG nowadays!

As for Dominick Cummings, I was using the broader definition of a person who is professionally involved in politics.