The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 24

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 20th August 2019, 10:52 AM

You're just jealous because I have so many jokes and interesting facts about the Spice Girls.
They've taken Ruth out of the Bible. Ruthless!

Now, like the son in the Balloon family, you have let yourself down.

Jeff Lynne refused my gift of feathers. He said, Don't bring me down.
I assumed Al Fresco was underrated, given the quality crew. Then I watched some of it.

Grass may have been mentioned, possibly even by me, but it deserved better.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th August 2019, 11:38 PM

Grass may have been mentioned, possibly even by me, but it deserved better.

Agreed.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 19th August 2019, 2:58 AM

Ah yes, but the Bottom boys (as it were) did have more than one level of motivation.

Sorry to repeat myself, but this kind of comment always knocks me for six. Bottom is pure slapstick - nothing wrong with that, but you can't look for levels that aren't there.

Noble and Silver are, in my view, two of the most underrated and underexposed comedians alive.

Apart from a six-part Channel Four thing years ago, and a bit-part in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, they've basically not had much air-time anywhere.

This piece of brilliance from Kim Noble has had 31 likes on YouTube in just over six years:

And this, from Stewart Silver has had seven likes in 14 years:

Edit: After doing some digging I can say that they did a film at Big Chill 05 for Channel 4. If anyone has any more info on that, I would love to hear about it.

Also they did a schools program about how to advertise vegetables, which I would also love more info on if anyone has it. (I know that last one sounds rather dry and non-comedic, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they smuggled in some comedy there at some point.)
Wave

Blimey Slime the first one was grim and the second one,short.
I'm not ready for them yet.

Quote: john tregorran @ 10th February 2020, 6:40 PM

Blimey Slime the first one was grim and the second one,short.
I'm not ready for them yet.

Ha, I hear you.

Remember though we've mainly been fed a diet of twee inoffensive horsecrap for years, so N&S will naturally take a bit of adjusting to, especially if (as I have done) you recently spent an entire night drifting in and out of sleep with a YouTube QI playlist on in the background. :)

I've been revisiting the first few series of Watching - I'd forgotten how just how sharp the writing is. It hasn't dated too badly either, compared to others from that late 80s/early 90s era. The late great Patsy Byrne always put in a stellar performance.

Yes I liked that.Informative too about our feathered friends.
I would never underrate it.