What are you reading? Page 9

'Endgame' by Samuel Becket. It's really boring. Can someone tell me what page The Avengers come in, so I can just skip to that bit?

I just finished 'Teddy' by J D Salinger. It really made me think. I thought, F**k you, you arrogant, precocious, pretentious, self-important little wanker. I hope it IS you who dies at the end. Tosser.

'Under Occupation - Alan Furst. A bit different from normal war/spy stories but interesting.

Pride and Prejudice.....again.

'Westwind' - Ian Rankin. This is a novel he wrote at the end of the 80s but has edited a bit and it's been reissued. It's not at all like the Rebus novels. It's a spy story and quite different from anything I've read of his. But, so far, worth a read.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th September 2019, 3:06 PM

I am reading 'Happy Days' by Samuel Beckett. F**k me, is it boring. Can someone tell me what page Fonzie enters, so I can just skip to that bit?

Even Mrs Will Cam laughed when I read this outLaughing out loud

I've just finished Papillon. Well worth a read.

Kirk Douglas's autobiography again.

Quote: Will Cam @ 5th February 2020, 9:47 PM

Even Mrs Will Cam laughed when I read this outLaughing out loud.

Waiting For Godot is shit too. For f**k's sake, guy's obviously stood you up, so move on. Happens to everyone, stop being so f**king pretentious.
Eoin Colfer's sixth Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and I think it's better than around half the originals! It has far more plot than So Long... and infinitely more laughs than Life... Pitched against Mostly Harmless, I'd say it's like me watching the Spice Girls. Holding its own.

'Cilka's Journey' - Heather Morris. This is a kind of sequel to 'The Tattòoist of Auschwitz' in that it's about the woman he met in Auschwitz and eventually married.

Utterly awful in respect of the life this poor woman had. You can only think how lucky you are, that, by an accident of birth, you were born into a comfortable life. I'll bet there are places where people are still being treated as she was in the Russian prison camp. Out of the frying pan (Auschwitz) into the fire.

I'm currently halfway through The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman.

It's the 2nd of his new trilogy which follows in from the His Dark Materials trilogy.

This story is really quite heartbreaking in many ways and deals with themes of depression and hopelessness. But I'm enjoying it a lot.

Quote: Briosaid @ 18th February 2020, 11:39 PM

'Cilka's Journey' - Heather Morris. This is a kind of sequel to 'The Tattòoist of Auschwitz' in that it's about the woman he met in Auschwitz and eventually married.

Utterly awful in respect of the life this poor woman had. You can only think how lucky you are, that, by an accident of birth, you were born into a comfortable life. I'll bet there are places where people are still being treated as she was in the Russian prison camp. Out of the frying pan (Auschwitz) into the fire.

CORRECTION - it's not about the woman he married but about another woman who was in Auschwitz at the same time as he and the woman whom he married.

Harry Thompson's biography of Peter Cook.

Plotting Hitlers Death

About attempts by Germans to assassinate Hitler

Not much German efficiency on show then sadly

Never Had It So Good:Britain From 1956-63 by Dominic Sandbrook. Great stuff, the 1950s seem like an alien planet, how far we've come.

I was a child in the 50s but can still remember there were ration books. Probably wasn't that wonderful.