What are you listening to now? Page 1,358

The Last Puff - Spooky Tooth

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th February 2020, 7:32 PM

The Last Puff - Spooky Tooth

A very underrated band. Most things on Island at the time were worth checking out.

Nancy Sinatra - Sugar Town

Quote: George Kaplan @ 19th February 2020, 7:08 PM

What a lovely lady, that Nancy.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th February 2020, 4:11 PM

A very underrated band. Most things on Island at the time were worth checking out.

Yes, very underrated. I have two ST albums, 'Two' and 'Puff', and they're both ace. They're rarely mentioned in documentaries about blues rock or 60s/70s music in general. Imo they are up there with Small Faces/Faces and Mott The Hoople and I prefer them over the Yardbirds or Animals.
Same with The Groundhogs, they are fantastic but they get rarely mentioned.

Lonette - Stop! Don't Worry About It

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 19th February 2020, 8:27 PM

What a lovely lady, that Nancy.

I've seen her twice: once when she sang the national anthem at a baseball game, and once when she popped up on stage at a Wilco - Bob Dylan - My Morning Jacket concert in California. Here she is singing with Wilco:

Quote: DaButt @ 20th February 2020, 3:52 PM

I've seen her twice: once when she sang the national anthem at a baseball game, and once when she popped up on stage at a Wilco - Bob Dylan - My Morning Jacket concert in California. Here she is singing with Wilco:

:O Wow, that is cool.

DaButt, have you finally checked out Status Quo's back catalogue?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th February 2020, 9:40 PM

DaButt, have you finally checked out Status Quo's back catalogue?

Not yet. I bought a turntable a few months ago and I've been prowling the record shops. I'm keeping an eye open, but not sure they sold many records here.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st February 2020, 2:12 PM

I bought a turntable a few months ago and I've been prowling the record shops. .

That one chap's got three legs.Must be Jake.
I remember singles being 6/8d,I think.

I got one of them record players in a suitcase things off amazon recently

Was listening to screamadelica by primal scream on vinyl yesterday for the first time in about 20 years

I'd forgotten how crappy vinyl sounds!

CD forever

I bought a suitcase one for my father as listening to music is one of the very few things he can do now. That was 16 months ago. It had great reviews and as presents go it has been a stunning success. But we thought about replacing the cartridge today. The Chinese company - oblique - appears to have disappeared. Apparently it needs a ceramic cartridge and there isn't one around that is the same. It also turns out that ceramic cartridges wear out vinyl quickly although we are not bothered about that aspect. Some will be, though, so you might feel it worthwhile noting! Didn't think about any of this stuff when buying it. I expect in the absence of a replacement cartridge that I will be buying a new one very soon.

Love this - and also the stuff she did with the decidedly odd Lee Hazlewood.

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Summer Wine : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_eW9VSUwM

Lee Hazlewood - The LHI Years: Singles, Nudes & Backsides (1968-71) (Light In The Attic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBteQkTFy8A

Was that another Wrecking Crew track?

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd February 2020, 2:08 PM

I got one of them record players in a suitcase things off amazon recently

Was listening to screamadelica by primal scream on vinyl yesterday for the first time in about 20 years

I'd forgotten how crappy vinyl sounds!

CD forever

Well you have got a crappy record player.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd February 2020, 9:36 PM

Was that another Wrecking Crew track?

I had to look it up, but I owed you one after your David Essex info. :)

You're correct, inc. Glen Campbell on guitar.

Personnel on the recording included:

Billy Strange -session leader and arranger
Don Randi-keyboards
Hal Blaine-drums
Carol Kaye-bass
Al Casey-guitar
Glen Campbell (Official)-guitar
Gary Coleman-percussion
Roy Caton-trumpet
Ollie Mitchell-trumpet

Playgroup feat. Shinehead - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover