Barbara

Started watching this after the death of the great Sam Kelly who was always my favourite in 'Allo 'Allo!.

Have got through the first 2 series and love it. Nothing clever or original but just a nice easy comedy with a great cast to finish an evening.

Ditto that. Really enjoyable series.

My late Nan adored this show and would show me the occasional episode when I visited her.

It wasn't and still isn't my thing entirely, but I held on to her DVDs of this show and watched them in her memory. I find this show quite funny and miss the charm of studio audience sitcoms.

Astonished why the pilot had the son-in-law played by a different actor, who's character went from being a mediocre chef to a local TV presenter/reporter.

Why the change I wonder? Mark Benton is great and probably IS a funnier comedic actor than the previous one but curious why they changed the character's background - oh and added in Benedict Sandiford to play Barbara and Ted's son.

Barbara is funny - as is Ted.

Martin is funny mostly, but the rest of the support cast are not in my view.

One of the few ITV successes of the late 90s - Jean Alexander was great as the hard-boiled mother-in-law.

I've got to say I've found this very enjoyable when I found it. I haven't yet got round to watching the lot but soon will.

Like you I'm think Sam Kelly is great and I'm trying to find more of his stuff. Then again, I love Mark Benton, Benedict Sandiford is amazing, and the lass Goodnight Sweetheart (name escapes me) and the woman from Porridge are also really good.

Sam Kelly was a wonder. Best loved by me in On the Up with Dennis Waterman and a wonderful Joan Sims. It was written by the incomparable Bob Larbey.

Quote: TonyT @ 13th February 2020, 6:27 PM

I've got to say I've found this very enjoyable when I found it. I haven't yet got round to watching the lot but soon will.

Like you I'm think Sam Kelly is great and I'm trying to find more of his stuff. Then again, I love Mark Benton, Benedict Sandiford is amazing, and the lass Goodnight Sweetheart (name escapes me) and the woman from Porridge are also really good.

I think there were 4 different girls (lasses). Two from each period in his life.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th February 2020, 4:09 PM

I think there were 4 different girls (lasses). Two from each period in his life.

Indeed - Elizabeth Carling was the one in Barbara.

That's the one .... I knew it was the 2nd wartime wife (ie. not the Irish one from BallyK)