The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 36

Caroline Flack, RIP. Not a great fan of reality telly but she didn't deserve to die for it. Shocking loss when this sort of thing happens. The CPS should find itself on trial for a change. They've got an effing terrible record for f**k ups, get them in the dock for this death.

RIP. Any torment she went through is at least at an end. My friend's son recently took his life, leaving his family completely broken. Suicide is a cruel thing for family and friends to live with afterwards.

Quote: BTF @ 16th February 2020, 9:50 AM

RIP. Any torment she went through is at least at an end. My friend's son recently took his life, leaving his family completely broken. Suicide is a cruel thing for family and friends to live with afterwards.

In 2018, there were around 6500 suicides in the UK.

Strangely, in the last 25 years, 75% of UK suicides have been men.

For both men and women, the most common age at which suicide occurs is between 45 and 49 years old.

I am of course deeply sympathetic to the suffering of Caroline Flack's friends and family but her well-publicised untimely death is but the tiny tip of a gargantuan iceberg of suffering experienced in the main by the friends and families of relatively unknown people like the son of BTF's friend.

RIP every one of the too-soon deceased. :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th February 2020, 9:40 AM

Caroline Flack, RIP. Not a great fan of reality telly but she didn't deserve to die for it. Shocking loss when this sort of thing happens. The CPS should find itself on trial for a change. They've got an effing terrible record for f**k ups, get them in the dock for this death.

Well, they should get British tabloids in that same dock. If there's one thing Britain leads the world in it's toxic bullying newspapers like The Sun and The Mail and The Star, which delight in destroying people they don't like.

R.I.P. Pearl Carr, age 98, second for the UK in the 1959 Eurovision Song Contest, together with her husband, Teddy Johnson (who, coincidentally, was also 98 when he died in 2018) with their song "Sing Little Birdie".

The following year they were beaten in the auditions to be the UK representative by Teddy's brother, Bryan Johnson, who was then also second in the contest itself with "Looking High, High, High", which, being a patriotic child, was one of the first records I owned. That and "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" by the Chipmunks!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th February 2020, 8:46 AM

R.I.P. Pearl Carr, age 98, second for the UK in the 1959 Eurovision Song Contest, together with her husband, Teddy Johnson (who, coincidentally, was also 98 when he died in 2018) with their song "Sing Little Birdie".

I wonder how many people in Britain have any idea who Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson were.

My very confident guess is - not many.

They were very much of their time, which was long long ago, but in their time they were stars.

They were even on "This Is Your Life".

RIP Pearl and Teddy.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th February 2020, 12:18 PM

They were even on "This Is Your Life".

These Are Your Lives, surely?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 17th February 2020, 12:58 PM

These Are Your Lives, surely?

I have to admit I laughed out loud at that. Laughing out loud

Andy Weatherall. Clearly he didn't.

Saddened to read about Caroline Flack. I never watched Love Island and dislike how it churns out airhead 'celebrities' but I remember her from earlier presenting and she had an agreeable personality. Tragic how she felt there was no way out. She was probably thinking how the court case is going to be in the papers every day and if she's convicted she will have a criminal record and her career is ruined but her career could have recovered with time. Strange how her fiancé is now saying he want's to be Caroline's voice even though he was prosecuting her for assault. I'm sure he's as shocked as everyone but I think her close friends and family would prefer to be her voice.

Social media with endemic trolling and verbal attacks and the ambulance chasing online tabloids must take some responsibility. If I was in the public eye I wouldn't even read any of it or join social media sites.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th February 2020, 8:46 AM

The following year they were beaten in the auditions to be the UK representative by Teddy's brother, Bryan Johnson, who was then also second in the contest itself with "Looking High, High, High", which, being a patriotic child, was one of the first records I owned. That and "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" by the Chipmunks!

I remember Pearl and Teddy. My dad met them on one occasion.

I too have or had Ragtime Cowboy Joe.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th February 2020, 5:07 PM

Saddened to read about Caroline Flack. I never watched Love Island and dislike how it churns out airhead 'celebrities' but I remember her from earlier presenting and she had an agreeable personality. Tragic how she felt there was no way out. She was probably thinking how the court case is going to be in the papers every day and if she's convicted she will have a criminal record and her career is ruined but her career could have recovered with time. Strange how her fiancé is now saying he want's to be Caroline's voice even though he was prosecuting her for assault. I'm sure he's as shocked as everyone but I think her close friends and family would prefer to be her voice.

Social media with endemic trolling and verbal attacks and the ambulance chasing online tabloids must take some responsibility. If I was in the public eye I wouldn't even read any of it or join social media sites.

RIP Caroline Flack. Suicide and going to those lengths is terrible. But if a man had been accused of assaulting his girlfriend and then committed suicide there wouldn't have been the same kind of sympathy.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th February 2020, 5:07 PM

I think her fiancé rang the police in the night as she had allegedly attacked him but very quickly said he did not want her prosecuted and continued to say this. It was apparently the police and CPS who wanted to prosecute. One thing that her friends say is apparently the case is that she was fixated on the bodycam police footage of what happened once the police arrived getting out into a wider arena (it presumably would be evidence in court) as it's been suggested it was very distressing and she would not have come out of it well and I can see why that would really worry her and get to her. I think that if people in the public eye as she was can avoid the tabloids and social media they would be better able to survive it, but this can be difficult I imagine.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th February 2020, 8:16 PM

I remember Pearl and Teddy. My dad met them on one occasion.

I too have or had Ragtime Cowboy Joe.

RIP Caroline Flack. Suicide and going to those lengths is terrible. But if a man had been accused of assaulting his girlfriend and then committed suicide there wouldn't have been the same kind of sympathy.

True.

I'd never heard of this woman till the other day, so what I'm about to say is not intended as a criticism of her.

I feel it's wrong to blame the police and the CPS. It sounds as if Englush law is the same as Scots in this respect - if the police are called out to such an event and there seems to be grounds for a charge, there is NO going back. It's amazing how often I read in our local papers, a court report where a woman (it's usually a woman) has been assaulted by her man, then is subsequently unable to withdraw the charge. It really is very common. I'd guess the thinking is that if the alleged offender isn't made to face the allegation in Court, if guilty, they'll just keep doing it, and maybe the alleged victim has been pressurised to withdraw it. It's not that long since the Police were regularly criticised for doing nothing about domestic violence. We don't want to return to those days.

Quote: Briosaid @ 18th February 2020, 1:57 PM

I'd never heard of this woman till the other day, so what I'm about to say is not intended as a criticism of her.

I feel it's wrong to blame the police and the CPS. It sounds as if Englush law is the same as Scots in this respect - if the police are called out to such an event and there seems to be grounds for a charge, there is NO going back. It's amazing how often I read in our local papers, a court report where a woman (it's usually a woman) has been assaulted by her man, then is subsequently unable to withdraw the charge. It really is very common. I'd guess the thinking is that if the alleged offender isn't made to face the allegation in Court, if guilty, they'll just keep doing it, and maybe the alleged victim has been pressurised to withdraw it. It's not that long since the Police were regularly criticised for doing nothing about domestic violence. We don't want to return to those days.

Agreed.

The media are playing up the CPS criticism to destract attention from their own atrocious behaviour.