Pointless Page 8

Quote: Kenneth @ 25th April 2018, 4:58 PM

Armstrong is paid to present the show. In the interests of educating viewers, time could be taken to teach him correct pronunciation of any tricky foreign words

Glad to see/hear that he competently pronounced an Indonesian term in a recent episode. Not that I'm watching Pointless, mind. Must have been on in the background at the operating theater.

Not residing in Australia, I am unable to enjoy the Australian version of Pointless, which debuted recently and seems to be a big hit:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/disappointed-viewers-slam-pointless-as-worst-show-ever/news-story/b1b5d04fe271f8536aa3b679164bd191 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrO6wCyChw

Quote: Kenneth @ 30th July 2018, 12:45 PM

Not residing in Australia, I am unable to enjoy the Australian version of Pointless, which debuted recently and seems to be a big hit:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/disappointed-viewers-slam-pointless-as-worst-show-ever/news-story/b1b5d04fe271f8536aa3b679164bd191 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrO6wCyChw

It's probably because the Aussies can't understand the concept.

I just watched the Australian version of Pointless for the first time. It's like Pointless-lite:
Only three pairs of contestants, not four.
So after Round 1, it's straight into the head-to-head.
There's no "tell us/remind us what you do?" stuff before the contestants give their first answer.
Instead, there's a very brief, "So, we heard you did something dumb once, tell us about that..." exchange in the head-to-head.
The show runs for 23 minutes, excluding ad breaks.
The two hosts try hard to emulate Armstrong and Osman, but their banter feels a bit forced, desperate and verging into vulgarity at times. The Aussie Osman is not subtle.
The electronic scoreboard zooms along at about double the speed of the UK version.
In the final round, the winning pair choose from only two categories, then get two options and have only 30 seconds to come up with two answers.
The Aussie version has distinctly less charm.
The prize money is equally shit, even though it's on a commercial network (albeit a broke commercial network).
The set of the Aussie version looks smaller and cramped and crappier.
But it's not dreadful.

Meanwhile, on Pointless proper, Xander has improved his performance of late by ditching some of his cliches in favour of more honest assessments of poor answers.

On a recent episode, there was a contestant with a Muslim-sounding name. When asked a question about dog breeds, he gave an incorrect answer. Clearly, Pointless is biased against Muslims (as dogs are forbidden in Islam). Surely the BBC could start being more respectful of diversity and ban all dog-related questions from Pointless and all other programs. If we can get KFC, Nandos and Subway to stop selling pork, then surely we can convince or force the BBC to stop screening programs with haram images (dogs and pigs and aardvarks).

That was Amar and Wes
Who were previous Countdown Contestants
What I don't get is why they didn't show their second show the following day and still haven't as far as I know
I wonder why they show them out of order

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 26th October 2018, 1:56 PM

That was Amar and Wes
Who were previous Countdown Contestants
What I don't get is why they didn't show their second show the following day and still haven't as far as I know
I wonder why they show them out of order

That's because the episode they were in, shown on Thursday 18 October, was series 20 episode 35. The following day they began showing repeats - as they are annoyingly wont to do because they don't record sufficient episodes to enable them to show new shows every day of the year.

In about 4 - 6 weeks' time they will resume series 20 and episode 36 will miraculously appear. Keep an eye on the programme's website on bbc.co.uk if you particularly want to know when it's coming on.

The little intro to the Pointless Eastenders special was amusing.

Watching now

Some old Irish geezer just gave the incorrect answer "Caressa Dick"

Hehe

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st December 2018, 6:04 PM

Watching now

Some old Irish geezer just gave the incorrect answer "Caressa Dick"

Hehe

That was fackin' hilarious! Don't know how faces were kept straight. Xander definitely earns his money for not doing a stupid Steve Harvey-type phony corpsing routine. But on this occasion he could have been forgiven for collapsing in mirth.

The new edition of Viz has a Richard Osman strip. Looks like it was written/drawn by the same person (or pair) who did the unwittingly unfunny Ricky Gervais strip in Viz several months back. Osman is worthy of being spoofed in Viz, but this strip is lame. Seems to be parodying shitty game show concepts in general, rather than any of Osman's traits and his quiz-centric style. Should have had him saying "hiya" and "shall I guess what your answer was?" and a clever reference to "two tribes". And a reference to his brother in Suede.

Robin Askwith on a recent Pointless Celebs (70s Stars). Lummee. He can still elevate the ordinary to entertaining.

A round tonight on teams that competed in the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Three of the first four answers: Kazakhstan, France & Greece :$

Just watching Pointless and they had a round of Alliterative celebrities with the initials MM.

There was one notable absentee.

Matthew Modine?