Newsjack 2020 Page 6

Quote: Dantrobus @ 14th February 2020, 10:06 AM

My one-liner was probably my least favourite of the stuff I sent. It was edited a bit for the broadcast. My original:

The planned takeover of Harry's Razors by Wilkinson Sword has fallen through. The deal was close... very close, the closest ever.

The broadcast version:

The planned takeover of Harry's Razors by Wilkinson Sword has fallen through. The deal was the closest they've ever seen.

Sometimes they edit for edittings sake. I think I like your version more.

Luke Kempners always a bit of a coup for NJ. Like Kiri's energy. Bit predictable in patches, had a few chuckles but i think you probably had to be there. You do get that sense that the show plays to an audience and not the listeners (I suppose I always thought of the audience as a bit of a prop when in fact they come first and foremost). Don't want to be over-critical as it is what it is. chocks away!

Is it bad form to ask writing/technique questions here? If so, forgive me.

I'm trying a sketch this week for Newsjack and I've got three characters. It's a kind of clerk/customers dynamic and so far the clerk is getting all the funny (?) lines and the two customers are really just setting him up. I've been trying unsuccessfully to give the customers funnier lines (thinking that the actors probably want to say funny things too) but I'm struggling.

Question is: in this format, should we aim to make all the characters funny or is it okay to have one or two "normal" people feeding the "funny" one?

Just remember that every line needs to be a setup or a joke.

Just listened to the show - overall one of the better ones with some good laughs in there, as usual a few mystifying choices of one-liners and a couple of absolute stinkers for sketches (even stranger they made the cut based on the minimal laughter). Chris, your sketch was great well done.

yeah, congrats Chris. Thought it was a well polished sketch and the news angle was catchy. Did you have any ideas for a bigger twist?

the Attenborough impression made me laugh the most.

Thanks to Thosisd (and the other person who has since deleted their post, but I read it and was grateful for the encouragement) for answering my previous question.

I since managed to give one or two "funny" lines to the other characters. And I tried to make most lines either a setup or a punch line. And I've sent my sketch off to the team.

Even if it's not picked, I'm quite happy with it sheerly because I managed to avoid relying on puns.

Anyone else send a sketch in?

Well done Stobbart, fingers crossed. I have ideas for sketches but they seem to turn into oneliners.

I got a couple of sketches submitted, thanks to unusually having a Monday morning available to work on them.

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 17th February 2020, 7:15 AM

Thanks to Thosisd (and the other person who has since deleted their post, but I read it and was grateful for the encouragement) for answering my previous question.

I since managed to give one or two "funny" lines to the other characters. And I tried to make most lines either a setup or a punch line. And I've sent my sketch off to the team.

Even if it's not picked, I'm quite happy with it sheerly because I managed to avoid relying on puns.

Anyone else send a sketch in?

Well done Stobbart42. I deleted it. I have an annoying habit of putting up a post then thinking, why did I do that? Nobody wants to read this crap and I take it down. Glad it was encouraging and you got your sketch in. I haven't done one, partly because I had two ideas, neither of which I managed to fully execute. One was a sketch on witches but it was too old a story on witches using cryptocurrency and I based it on Macbeth's witches (a bit obvs). Anyway, it didn't work. Wasn't funny enough so scrapped it. The other idea was on a super spreader but I couldn't pin down an original concept and scrapped it.

I managed to submit a sketch. Amazed at myself!

No sketches from me but a full set of one liners
Good luck all - I'll see some of you on t'rejects forum

My oneliners are off through the internet tubes. Good luck everybody.

Hi all. Been submitting a few one liners to NJ in the last couple of years but to no avail so far. Just found this place and thought I'd say hello. Had a bit more time this week so got my first ever sketches in - have to say I found the process a lot more fun than mining for one liners which can get a bit torturous. Having said that I was quite pleased with a couple of my gags as well (more than usual anyway), so we shall see. I'll share them if they don't pass muster.

Welcome Eggnog and best of luck. There is a rejects thread also