What are you listening to now? Page 1,357

The only one I wasn't that fond of was Evan finds the third room.I didn't stay with it long enough to find where it was.
I've always liked the Sultans a sort of Irish HMHB.
Jimmy Scott was very good.
I wonder who thought it was a good idea to dress up as moles ?:)

Black Sabbath 1st album Released:

13 February 1970
(and it is for me) the best album in all genres up to 13 February 2020.
50years passed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTHBEbivfZI&list=PLBzBwYhHpqLLWZT_xr7uCRq6Pk6fh4j8C&index=1

Quote: john tregorran @ 13th February 2020, 9:03 PM

How did they make the guitars sound like that?
The first one sounded familiar ,someone commented that it was Bo Diddley,that would be it I suppose.

N1- tube amp is a must, mike at the cabinet - maybe directed askew, or sound degraded from the bad state of the tape.
N2 ... mike at the cabinet with rotated heads, often made by guitarist himself or bought as Leslie cabinet.
"Leslie = a rotating organ speaker, wiki/Leslie_speaker)"

Thanks 69.

I've never listened much to heavy metal but you seem to know what you are talking about so I'll give the Black Sabbath a go.

Recorded 50 years ago today:

yes that's a banger (?) Johnny Kidd was a bit of a hero of mine,could have been the eye patch.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 14th February 2020, 1:30 AM

That's my pick of the bunch.

Been going since 2007, but only a couple of EPs and singles.

The attractive end of shoegaze.

They are based in Japan.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th February 2020, 3:47 AM

The only one I wasn't that fond of was Evan finds the third room.I didn't stay with it long enough to find where it was.
I've always liked the Sultans a sort of Irish HMHB.
Jimmy Scott was very good.
I wonder who thought it was a good idea to dress up as moles ?:)

You probably know - but some people won't - that Scott's unusual singing voice was due to Kallmann syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that limited his height to 4 feet 11 inches (150 cm) until the age of 37, when he grew by 8 inches (20 cm). The syndrome prevented him from reaching classic puberty and left him with a high voice and unusual timbre. At 13, he had been orphaned when his mother was killed by a drunk driver. However, none of these things were especial obstacles.

He did have a very happy marriage, and lived until 88 although I wonder if it was his difference which meant that he wasn't, as he should have been, revered. You have to be open to it to appreciate his great voice for its uniqueness.

I saw Sultans of Ping live - and yes, a good point about a HMHB comparison/contrast : see also perhaps the Frank and Walters and Bitter Springs for not dissimilar - and took part in the dead bee dance there during Where's Me Jumper?.

The Death of Melody

(or how the likes of Lady Gaga and her 21st Century fans have taken the Aaron Copland out of pop and rock)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Vn9V-tRCo

(A very educational 12 and a bit minutes)

Transcendence - Crimson Glory

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th February 2020, 7:33 PM

The Death of Melody

(or how the likes of Lady Gaga and her 21st Century fans have taken the Aaron Copland out of pop and rock)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Vn9V-tRCo

(A very educational 12 and a bit minutes)

It's not just because I'm old that I don't like much modern music then?

Re The Who - Live at Leeds - which GB originally posted:

1970 was my first proper year of following music in detail and while it is unfashionable to say so I tend to think of it as the strongest year in popular music albeit largely for nostalgic reasons. If I were to pick a specific month, I'd say June so I'm coming up to my half century. It coincided with the world cup in which the matches being beamed in had the sound of grasshoppers on the moon. Well, grasshoppers. For fairly obvious reasons, anything distant was heard in those days as the moon. Check it out - and marvel at how limited sound broadcasting technology still was three years after Sgt Pepper.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th February 2020, 7:45 PM

It's not just because I'm old that I don't like much modern music then?

Spot on.

I would have written other comments here but that would have required using more than two notes.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th February 2020, 6:55 PM

yes that's a banger (?) Johnny Kidd was a bit of a hero of mine,could have been the eye patch.

The Pirates were still going strong up to about 10 years ago when I saw them live. Brilliant!

I don't dislike modern music. I just don't think I've got enough room in my brain to absorb anything new to a great extent.

I would like to have been there :)

Love-Forever Changes
Donald Fagen-The Nightfly
Marvin Gaye-What's Going On

Love-Forever Changes - ufff, I almost cried.
. That tenderness is in this song as well
: With this great love
Avec ce grand amour
That brings us together
Qui nous rassemble
A little more each day
Un peu plus chaque jour
We look alike
On se ressemble
With our songs and our joys
Avec nos chansons et nos joies
We look alike - You and Me