This Country Page 3

It's one I haven't seen but will be happy to give a go, given its good reviews. The fact it was written by two young'ns is a welcome boost to others as well. It would have to come onto proper TV though I'm not a fan of watching on computer screens. I originally got this confused with The Great Outdoors which I wasn't enamoured with but realise now it's a completely different thing.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 31st January 2020, 3:40 PM

The number of times I've tried to come-up with an idea for an original comedy and it ends up being Office or Extras. How the feck do writers do it?

Can I suggest try not thinking of The Office or any similar mocdoc style single camera sitcom to start with. The BBC themselves say they are severely lacking in studio sitcom scripts to choose from so why not try a very successful format.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd February 2020, 10:46 AM

It's one I haven't seen but will be happy to give a go, given its good reviews. The fact it was written by two young'ns is a welcome boost to others as well. It would have to come onto proper TV though I'm not a fan of watching on computer screens. I originally got this confused with The Great Outdoors which I wasn't enamoured with but realise now it's a completely different thing.

Can I suggest try not thinking of The Office or any similar mocdoc style single camera sitcom to start with. The BBC themselves say they are severely lacking in studio sitcom scripts to choose from so why not try a very successful format.

The show has only ever been aired via iPlayer (BBC3) which is mental, as the show is pretty big in relative terms and yet has never been aired on terrestial.

If you have a smart TV, perhaps watch it on the big screen this way?

When I have tried writing a sitcom, I do not have mockumentary in mind but the style of comedy is often similar. It's been a while since I attempted script writing. I have an idea in mind which is probably close to the genre of a Mrs Merton and Malcolm.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 2nd February 2020, 9:34 PM

The show has only ever been aired via iPlayer (BBC3) which is mental, as the show is pretty big in relative terms and yet has never been aired on terrestrial.

Not true!

It's a BBC Three/iPlayer commission so has always debuted there (although I think this last one might be starting on TV...), but the first and second series were broadcast together last Summer, from 24th June till 23rd September, every Monday at around 10:35pm on BBC One.

Daisy May Cooper was in the last episode of Avenue 5 as a fake pilot, I was glad to see her as if she was an old friend in different country.

Fantastic first episode back.

**Spoilers**

Sluggs 'Shit stirring from beyond the grave' is a very This Country tribute for Michael Sleggs.

I laughed so much at Kerry using Bodger and Badger to try and make a deep philosophical point about relationships.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th February 2020, 9:33 AM

I laughed so much at Kerry using Bodger and Badger to try and make a deep philosophical point about relationships.

Meh!????

Quote: gb901 @ 18th February 2020, 6:02 PM

Meh!????

From an upcoming episode I believe, I saw the clip on Twitter last week, advertising the new episodes - Kerry was talking about living arrangements.

Unless it's from a previous episode and I've completely forgotten the scene :O

Yes, it's from next week's episode.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th February 2020, 9:33 AM

Is she a bodger or a badger though?

Was vaguely aware of this (just its name) though had never watched it. But the publicity round Daisy May & Charlie had been doing to promote series 3 prodded me into watching Ep.1 series 1.

Within two days I had binged all of series 1 & 2 the special and I am now up to date in series 3.

Best thing I have seen in a very long time.

Well done all concerned and lovely story of triumph coming out on top over adversity.

Apart from a few gags series 3 has been the weakest of the lot.I chuckled more at kate and koji , and i really did not want to at the start.

Just started watching this and enjoying it a lot. It might not be reinventing the wheel but it's well written and acted, with a nice bleakness about it.

I'm rewatching it again

Love it

Apart from Friday Night Dinners it's the only recent modern day sitcom I have truly enjoyed

Now I've watched bits of it on TV well I won't knock them for their success at all, Good luck to them, But it really does annoy me that they can get a multi series sitcom aired doing all the things non aired writers are very plainly told you cannot do in sitcoms. Pirate

Just sitting around talking is the main thing I've seen so far in TC. I can't be the only one here who's had script feedback saying that's the biggest sin in scriptwriting and I've committed it. Another big one is Originality. Apart from the rural sub class setting, what is original about this? There is no getting away from the Gareth of The Office comparisons and that show's now ageing mocdoc blueprint.

I'm a big fan anecdotal dialogue in sitcoms but whenever I put it in a script I'm very quickly told 'Show, don't Tell'. I just wish writers of broadcasted sitcoms were told the same thing. Angry Apart from all that, it's quite an amiable show, but contrived and a bit forced imo.