I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,143

Quote: lofthouse @ 27th January 2020, 9:46 PM

Wow

Angry lady...

Very angry lady!

No. I just hate silly morons who think they know it all when they're actually pig thick.

Put it this way - my country voted to remain. Of all the people I know in 'real life' only one voted to Brexit - a woman in her 80s of English origin. Everybody I know is appalled at what's happening because we know our country will suffer and we have to listen to morons like Kipper resenting incomers who help to harvest the food we depend on, just because he's an idiot xenophobe. Probably most of the folk he hates have IQs twice the size of his.

Isn't that always the way with New Year's resolutions?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th December 2019, 10:24 PM

Perhaps we should all be making a New Year's resolution - specifically to be a bit more careful when posting and, in general, to be a lot nicer to each other in 2020?

You know it makes sense. Cool

Quote: Briosaid @ 24th December 2019, 10:53 PM

A worthy sentiment but EVERYBODY woukd need to subscribe.

I feel angry about Brexit too. I am just hoping that it won't be as bad as I suspect it may be. Not much else I can do now. It's an issue that causes people to express themselves passionately.
I hope nobody is put off posting here by the strong words and strength of feeling displayed in some posts here.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th January 2020, 8:13 AM

Imported cars, Kipper?

No, exported cars too. The international companies who own the infrastructure for building cars here will lose billions if they scrap production.

Quote: chipolata @ 27th January 2020, 9:41 AM

You need a crash course in what it actually means to be British, Kipper. Cynicism and negativity is the British way. We're not a happy clappy nation that unites and gets behind something. We stand on the sidelines being sarcastic and negative and expecting the worse. To expect Brexit to succeed is actually anti-British and goes against everything it means to be a Brit. So you know what to do with your un-British positivity!

That sounds like you're saying all the unhappy remain voters will want to do badly at their jobs to make Brexit fail either just to make a point or to help rejoin the eu. Many VIP Remainers are now calling themselves Rejoiners. I don't see millions of normal working people wanting to jeopardise their own careers and income for the vain political pipe dream of wealthy pro EUers.

Quote: Briosaid @ 27th January 2020, 9:54 PM

Everybody I know is appalled at what's happening because we know our country will suffer and we have to listen to morons like Kipper resenting incomers who help to harvest the food we depend on, .

You don't know Scotland will suffer, all you've got is extremely negative forecasts from people with vested interests in remaining in the EU, the same people whose post vote forecasts have already been proved wrong.
You've made up the second bit, I don't resent agriculture workers coming to help harvest our food at all, they can happily continue to do it like they did before 2005 on working visas. Who told you they'd be stopped? they're lying to you to generate discord with Brexit. Lies, fear and general anti England prejudice has been whipped up by anti Brexit agitators in Scotland mainly to regenerate indy ref 2. Stop hating us for what a Norman French speaking tyrant king did 800 years ago. Most English I know love Scotland as I do.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th January 2020, 8:37 AM

That sounds like you're saying all the unhappy remain voters will want to do badly at their jobs to make Brexit fail either just to make a point or to help rejoin the eu. .

No, I'm making a larger point about how the British are naturally pessimistic and expect failure. In fact, part of our psyche actually enjoys it. And as a sitcom fan, you should appreciate that, since an awful lot of our sitcoms are about just that.

Well he won't anymore. Alistair Stewart sacked for an innocent tweet. Social media is a minefield.

Quote: BTF @ 29th January 2020, 8:01 AM

I feel angry about Brexit too. I am just hoping that it won't be as bad as I suspect it may be. Not much else I can do now. It's an issue that causes people to express themselves passionately.
I hope nobody is put off posting here by the strong words and strength of feeling displayed in some posts here.

I can't wait!

David Cameron was interviewed on ABC this week including this:

"LEIGH SALES: What do you say to the suggestion that you were doing it mostly to manage your own internal party politics, to try to get under control, a wing of the Conservative Party that considered you a little bit too progressive because you supported things like same-sex marriage and climate change action?

DAVID CAMERON: I don't accept that argument, because if you look back over recent British political history, between 2005 and 2015, every political party, every major political party - in fact, including most of the minor ones - had promised a referendum on Europe at some stage.

So it was pressure, not just within the Conservative Party - although the pressure was very great. There was pressure right across the country.

And I think people forget and perhaps underestimate how frustrating that was for people, that this issue kept being put forward but then not actually delivered."

So don't blame him.:)

Could Cameron have stopped people making lies up on the side of buses and on Facebook though?

Cameron should not have done it but then I don't agree with referenda.

Yesterday was 02.02.2002. If you read 02022002 backwards, it still says 02022002. So why bother?

There's a bit of a disconnect when the courts say a guy is OK to be released and the police say, fine, but we're going to follow him wherever he goes with a couple of armed coppers, if that's alright with everybody.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 3rd February 2020, 10:09 AM

Yesterday was 02.02.2002. If you read 02022002 backwards, it still says 02022002. So why bother?

Surely it says 20022020.

Oh f**k. It worked in the pub last night.
Daily Mail so must be true. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7957697/Victoria-Beckham-spends-night-childhood-bedroom-David-Brooklyn-America.html?fbclid=IwAR1qCxBi-URJJOSFczW3n2X2-uyVWhJ9mDD9UkHJHnIi6gNTY4qqxcJvLTc Strange, normally the skeleton's IN the closet.

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd February 2020, 10:29 AM

There's a bit of a disconnect when the courts say a guy is OK to be released and the police say, fine, but we're going to follow him wherever he goes with a couple of armed coppers, if that's alright with everybody.

Yes. Some people seem to be putting a bit of blame on the Police, which seems unfair when they weren't the ones who decided on his release.