The Last Leg with Adam Hills Page 4

Yes, because those characteristics are exclusive to the "left". :S

That is pretty much the definition of 'woke' though.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th January 2020, 9:30 AM

That is pretty much the definition of 'woke' though.

Knee jerk reactions from people with no real experience of life.

A bit odd to claim Adam Hills has "no real experience of life."

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 29th January 2020, 8:41 AM

A bit odd to claim Adam Hills has "no real experience of life."

I meant the Woke generation.

Isn't it true though that by its very nature right wing comedy punches down whereas left wing comedy punches up? I agree that Geoff Norcott is very funny. I vehemently disagree with his politics but it cannot be denied he is a good comic. Won't hear a positive word about Jim Davidson though.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 30th January 2020, 9:02 PM

Isn't it true though that by its very nature right wing comedy punches down whereas left wing comedy punches up?

No. Complete bollocks on both counts.

Not that there should be any sacred cows anywhere, of course. It's about how you find the target and the construction of the joke, not the target itself.

There was a really interesting article on the topic somewhere in the last few months. I'll see if I can find it...

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd February 2020, 3:19 PM

There was a really interesting article on the topic somewhere in the last few months. I'll see if I can find it...

We're still waiting!

Also, we have a free market economy, so to a large extent the lack of right-wing comedians could be put down to the fact that people don't want to see them. Or at least the people who consume most comedy aren't that interested in them.

Or they're too scared of the intolerant leftie comedians they'd be on stage with.

I think Geoff Norcott has certainly found a niche even if that's not his real politics (I have no idea). I can imagine all the BBC producers desperately looking around for a funny, right wing comedian for balance and finding very few. I did notice he used the same material on the Last Leg as News Quiz although possibly not too much overlap in audiences.

Simon Evan talks about free market economics but not sure what his politics are.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 22nd January 2020, 6:24 AM

The problem is right wing people tend not to be very funny. If there were,. there would be lots of funny right wingers on the circuit. There aren't: hence why some people are scraping the barrel here by advocating unpleasant has-beens like Jim Davidson be put on more.
Geoff Northcott is a rare exception.

Yawn. Do you not think that the state of political correctness and the woke brigade of TV executives are afraid to give more Geoff Norcotts and the like a chance, compared to yesteryear when there were generally funny right-wing comedians for all types of humour?

Right wingers, as it were, didn't become unfunny overnight.

Left wingers for the many are considered flat, unoriginal and masters of recycling topical jokes. But it ticks the boxes for the lovies.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd January 2020, 8:40 PM

Yes! Bastards! With their social consciences and basic decency. Damn them all!

"social consciences" LOL had you fooled, haven't they.

You know they don't really care about social justice?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 16th February 2020, 8:49 PM

Yawn. Do you not think that the state of political correctness and the woke brigade of TV executives are afraid to give more Geoff Norcotts and the like a chance, compared to yesteryear when there were generally funny right-wing comedians for all types of humour?

Right wingers, as it were, didn't become unfunny overnight.

Could you to list these colossi of right wing comedy of yesteryear?

In Yesteryear most comedians didn't bother with political comedy in case they alienate half of their potential audience.