Life on Mars Page 4

For anyone interested LOM is being repeated on Drama, started with first two eps last night. I missed the start of it back then and hearing everyone say you have to see it from the beginning or it won't make sense I have waited till now. Can't believe 15 years have passed by since then. Where did they go?

Got me thinking, with Brexit do you think we'll magic back to 1973 just before we joined the common market? I don't see why not, EU won't be able to tell us off for being racist or sexist anymore and we'll have a racist and sexist PM. And if they elect Wrong Daily the opposition will be promoting a 4 day week with mass wild cat strikes just like we had in the 70s. :) LOM was prophetic - we are going back to pre PC where life was wonderful.

The Test Card Girl from Series One has grown up to be AIUI quite a hottie with a very nice rear bumper:

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 26th January 2020, 8:45 AM

For anyone interested LOM is being repeated on Drama, started with first two eps last night. I missed the start of it back then and hearing everyone say you have to see it from the beginning or it won't make sense I have waited till now. Can't believe 15 years have passed by since then. Where did they go?

Got me thinking, with Brexit do you think we'll magic back to 1973 just before we joined the common market? I don't see why not, EU won't be able to tell us off for being racist or sexist anymore and we'll have a racist and sexist PM. And if they elect Wrong Daily the opposition will be promoting a 4 day week with mass wild cat strikes just like we had in the 70s. :) LOM was prophetic - we are going back to pre PC where life was wonderful.

Can't really tell if your being tongue in cheek here or not. I'm pretty sure the creators of Life on Mars weren't motivated by a desire to restore a more sexist and racist era though!
The Three Day Week - that was under the Conservatives, of course. Edward Heath.
A great series, I agree (also available on Netflix(.
Oddly, a couple of the 'modern' aspects of the series have already dated badly in the 13 or 14 years since it was made.
1. On the very last episode, Sam's radio starts speaking to him directly again. Who's the DJ? That's right...it's Jimmy Saville! Obviously, an impressionist although the real thing was still alive then.
2. At one point, Sam confronts a skinhead and challenges his bigoted outlook and claims to be 'superior'. 'Superior to what?' 'Sam argues (or words to this effect). "An amoeba with special needs?"
Obviously, offensive to any amoeba watching.,,, But seriously folks, it obviously doesn't look great now that his first thought when wanting to suggest someone is inferior is to suggest they have special needs.

So glad Rood Eye is gone. It was impossible to discuss anything like this when he was around.

It would have been hard to predict future terminology that might be offensive if not used in the right context.
And every comedian did JS impressions - the unfeeling bastards.

The Conservative Government have a lot to answer for... as you say, the 3 day week. I think those arabs and later miners did it on purpose to make them look c**ts

And don't forget Neville Chamberlain - he was prime minister when war broke out.
It's one disaster after another with a Con government.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th September 2020, 9:11 AM

It would have been hard to predict future terminology that might be offensive if not used in the right context.
And every comedian did JS impressions - the unfeeling bastards

Yes, obviously. Wasn't a criticism.
And Heath did genuinely blunder over the Three Day Week, so not sure the sarcasm totally works here.
I can't believe it's so early in the day and already I've been unfairly disparaged for criticising the abysmal record of the 1970-74 administration.
That hurts!

Strange that some people can't see obvious tongue in cheek comments.

Er...yes. it is strange isn't it? Ahem.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 16th September 2020, 10:47 AM

Yes, obviously. Wasn't a criticism.
And Heath did genuinely blunder over the Three Day Week, so not sure the sarcasm totally works here.
I can't believe it's so early in the day and already I've been unfairly disparaged for criticising the abysmal record of the 1970-74 administration.
That hurts!

Infinitely better than the zero day weeks of recent times though. And at least it led to the election of Margaret Thatcher as Conservative leader and, ultimately, Prime Minister. So it wasn't a complete disaster.

Zero day weeks?
Unemployment levels were much higher under Margaret Thatcher than they have ever been since.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 17th September 2020, 10:24 AM

Zero day weeks?

Yes, a lot of businesses have had to close down for seven days a week for 16 weeks or more. I thought you might have read about it.

Yes. As I say, I think most people would still prefer that to the more permanent mass unemployment which occurred under Thatcher.