Benny Hill Page 3

A person may not like the comedy he produced, but there was great pleasure in watching his devious smile when he was singing and an especially naughty lyric was about to arrive. That's one of the things I remember the most. That and the scantily clad women.

*runs round and round the thread at double speed due to a rare thyroid disorder*

I bought my dad Benny Hill DVDs for Christmas last year and he never once complained about not being able to figure out the accents. I like how smut transcends all language barriers.

If they wanted to do another round of that excellent drama series last year about the private lives of some top comedy stars, Benny Hill has to be a hot contender - although he lived a very quiet private life, there is plenty of material there.

As a young teenager I used to love watching Benny Hill. It was at the same time that The Sweeney, George and Mildred etc were airing regularly. Excellent programmes to watch during the same week. I found that when Kenny Everett started airing his TV shows people at school would not own up to watching Benny Hill as it was not anarchic like Kenny and did not cater for the Punk scene, like Kenny Everett did. Benny Hill began to get treated like Top of the Pops did after the clash refused to be on it; it became a "no no" to watch, and anyone who admitted to watching it were jeered at and ridiculed for being "a stiff"! I loved Benny Hill and I still have a crush on his main Hills Angel, Sue Upton.
Her little website is here: http://www.sueupton.net/

I love Benny Hill always have

If you're a fan of the British comedy of Benny Hill, but always wished that it had a Jewish twist, then you should check out my web series, "The Briitsh Jew With The Loose Screw." The series can be viewed on YouTube.com/britishjewloosescrew

I can honestly say that I've never wished that Benny Hill had a "Jewish twist". And didn't spam come from Monty Python?

No nor have I, but I can only presume Tashi was speaking to other Jews perhaps? I have long since thought of American Jewish comedy as being very exclusive and very much about themselves. New York Jewish comedy is seen as a bit of a mafia in the business, isn't it? Our top Jewish comedians, thankfully, are almost the opposite in their comedy, making their 'Jewishness' invisible, or a very minor part of their act.

Tashi, Benny Hill did have the odd Jewish character, I know both he and Bob Todd played Jewish stereotypes at times. But I hope your Jewish 'Benny Hill' character catches on, as 'the man himself' is definitely worth celebrating or expanding on in any way comedians can.

Benny Hill was great, but he'll never get the recognition he deserves in this country.
Ahead of his time when he started out but probably very much behind it when he finished, he was treated pretty badly in the end.

The great man would have been 96 yesterday. I thought it was 95 for some reason but anyway Happy Birthday Benny.

Did I hear of a new play or TV film about him recently was it about an old one. I caught a brief snippet of something on the radio about it.

Benny was one of those rare TV entertainers who was unlike any other.

One could analyse, praise and/or slag off his comedy until the cows come home but, at the end of the day, it would be a harsh critic who refused to allow that, love him or loathe him, he was very good indeed at what he did.

Benny Hill died on this day in 1992.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th April 2022, 8:38 PM

Benny Hill died on this day in 1992.

The same weekend as Frankie Howerd.