What are you listening to now? Page 1,347

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th January 2020, 10:35 PM

Sorry.It just sounds like any C&W to me.

Thanks for trying. The original song isn't C&W. Maybe it'll come to you in the middle of the night.

I have high hopes that Radish will crack it for me.

He seems to be the font of all music knowledge.

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th January 2020, 11:14 PM

He seems to be the font of all music knowledge.

I got it! At last! :D

You'll be kicking yourself, like I did. Took me a bloody long 24 hours.

I won't say who it is till tomorrow evening. All answers welcome now! Gordon Bennett would know it for sure. :)

It's an incredibly famous artist with what might be called a deep cut off one of their most famous and best selling albums. It's the album before their huge breakthrough, with another later released huge hit single on it. You probably own a copy of that album.

Cliff Richard !!!

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th January 2020, 11:36 PM

Cliff Richard !!!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Close.! If it was, Herc would get it for sure, and probably Billy Bunter. :)

really old then

Could be Bob Dylan.He wrote all the tunes before everyone else?

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th January 2020, 11:47 PM

really old then

Could be Bob Dylan.He wrote all the tunes before everyone else?

Ok, you're kind of getting warm. The album it's on references him.

PM me if you think you know the answer. I'm curious if anyone else gets it. :)

Shouldn't you be watching the tennis now? Konta's on - so double affiliation!

Quote: George Kaplan @ 20th January 2020, 11:05 PM

Thanks for trying. The original song isn't C&W. Maybe it'll come to you in the middle of the night.

I have high hopes that Radish will crack it for me.

I too started with Dylan in my head - especially "Knocking On Heaven's Door" which seems to crop up often in other tunes and a bit of "Lay Lady Lay" maybe. Elsewhere, my starting point for these things is Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" which seems to be in quite a lot of random stuff and I have always sworn that Radiohead's "Creep" was much too close to Albert Hammond's "The Air That I Breathe" which was a big hit for the Hollies. However, neither of these apply here.

I do know what you mean about this Texas one. There is something in it which is distinctly familiar although I have to say that as verses go I find it rather slight and even generic. So, yes, I can also understand the sort of comment above in which it is said it just sounds like country. It does in many ways but, as I say, there is more to it and it may well be that country music doesn't provide the answer. Combined with the clue you have dropped, I am going to tentatively suggest "The First Cut Is The Deepest" but I'm not entirely sure, if this is what you have settled on, that is all there is to this conundrum. There could be a second thing as her voice rises on lines or, of course, it might not be "The First Cut Is The Deepest" at all.

Footnote:

Weirdly, I'm now hearing Hammond's "It Never Rains in Southern California" in my head. It is quite like that! Maybe that is how the mind works. In steps. But even then I think there is something else there. The main rule of thumb is "think 1970s". (Having said as much there is a tiny hint too in it of "Gentle On My Mind" (Glen Campbell/John Hartford) which was 1967).

LOL. :D

EDIT: Oops. Just saw the PM request.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 21st January 2020, 3:48 AM

The main rule of thumb is "think 1970s"

Yes! 1971 in fact.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2020, 4:32 AM

EDIT: Oops. Just saw the PM request.

Thanks for your PM. You came up with the specific song I had in mind, so congrats! I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned in YouTube comments, though there are few comments about that Texas song generally.

Radish, I'm sure the ones you mention also share similarities, but the one I'm thinking of is particularly striking. Surely it was a deliberate "homage". Another song on the same album also borrows less blatantly from the Animals classic, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood".

The Ricks Road album is rather good. More bluesy than I was expecting.

Anyone else want to venture what the song is, either on here or by PM, before I reveal it?

So DaButt got it.Well done that man :)

I'm sure it will be obvious when I know it :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 21st January 2020, 7:09 PM

I'm sure it will be obvious when I know it :)

Well...

I did PM you with it last night btw, but maybe you didn't want to ruin the suspense by reading it. :)

I didn't know it anyway.Well done DaButt !

Quote: George Kaplan @ 21st January 2020, 8:13 PM

Well...

I did PM you with it last night btw, but maybe you didn't want to ruin the suspense by reading it. :)

I am aware of that track but I wouldn't have got the answer in a thousand years. Dabutt, I feel, did very well indeed to find the right answer. If I were to be asked which Bowie album I know and like best, it would be "Space Oddity" and that puts me in a very tiny minority. Similar era, though, ie early and I do play the mosr well known tracks on "Hunky Dory" a lot.