King Gary is back

Delightful new series featuring the always funny Tom Davis and Simon Day.
The whole series is great, check it out,

Loved the pilot and have watched most of the series earlier this week, just got one episode left to watch. I've really enjoyed it.

Yes, I too have been eagerly awaiting this since the pilot.
The mini-golf episode was my favorite.

Even Romesh, who I don't normally find funny was well used in this series.

Hoping for Series 2.

I put it on series record prior to the first episode, thinking it might be worth watching.

After watching the first episode, I have taken it off series record.

It's fine. Not sure the orange and teal LUT suits comedy, mind.

Throughout the first episode, I couldn't stop wondering why 6-foot-7, built-like-a-brick-outhouse, man-mountain Gary was so intimidated (or even intimidated at all) by 5-foot-10 Lee Benson.

Given that it was the pretty much the premise upon which the entire episode was based, I was still scratching my head when the end credits came up.

There are some excellent cast-members and so the series clearly has potential: I hope to see that potential realised in subsequent episodes.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th January 2020, 5:10 PM

Throughout the first episode, I couldn't stop wondering why 6-foot-7, built-like-a-brick-outhouse, man-mountain Gary was so intimidated (or even intimidated at all) by 5-foot-10 Lee Benson.

Probably because Little Gary's dad fought all his battles for him growing (very) up so he never learned how to utilise his obvious physical attributes in the fisticuffs department. Lee Benson was/is a typical smallish-man syndrome bully who just hadn't been put in his place.

Mayhaps the writer knew too much about this subject.

I've just watched Episode 2 which I thought an improvement on Episode 1.

I remember thinking "Hold the Sunset" must have been significantly better on paper than it was on the screen. I would have enjoyed reading the scripts a lot more than I enjoyed watching the broadcast production.

I think the opposite of "King Gary": the entertainment inherent in the scripts is lifted enormously by the personalities/skills of the actors.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th January 2020, 1:36 PM

I think the opposite of "King Gary is Back"

The show is simply called King Gary. I thought much the same when I watched the first episode, I didn't think it was quite as good as the pilot but by the time I was half way through the series, I thought there was some hilarious scenes and a particular mention must go out to Laura Checkley as Terri, she steals every scene she's in and plays a magnificent part. I'd happily watch a second series.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th January 2020, 11:04 AM

I put it on series record prior to the first episode, thinking it might be worth watching.

After watching the first episode, I have taken it off series record.

My thoughts exactly: it's crap.
Sad that Davis ditched the much better, and actually funny, Murder In Successville for crud such as this and Action Team!

Quote: G180e @ 18th January 2020, 6:53 PM

The show is simply called King Gary.

Duly noted. Huh?

Thank you.

The third most recent episode was, frankly, painful to watch!

Quote: gb901 @ 24th January 2020, 10:01 PM

The third most recent episode was, frankly, painful to watch!

Each to his own, as they say.

If we compare "King Gary" with the all-time great sitcoms, we might well decide it's not quite in the same league.

But is that really the way to judge it?

I ask myself quite simply whether or not it's entertaining - and, for me, it is.

The central characters are interesting and funny, both collectively and individually. The cast seem to be enjoying themselves as they work and their enjoyment is infectious. I watch them enjoying themselves and I immediately find myself enjoying watching them enjoying themselves. That's a lot more than can be said for some other sitcoms I've seen in recent years.

British TV has now sunk to the point where, on several days per week, there is almost nothing that I want to watch. The glory days of sitcom are long gone and, in this bleak televisual landscape, "King Gary" is one of the few programs that reminds me there is still talent in the industry and that, perhaps, all is not (yet) lost.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th January 2020, 6:32 AM

Each to his own, as they say.

If we compare "King Gary" with the all-time great sitcoms, we might well decide it's not quite in the same league.

But is that really the way to judge it?

I ask myself quite simply whether or not it's entertaining - and, for me, it is.

The central characters are interesting and funny, both collectively and individually. The cast seem to be enjoying themselves as they work and their enjoyment is infectious. I watch them enjoying themselves and I immediately find myself enjoying watching them enjoying themselves. That's a lot more than can be said for some other sitcoms I've seen in recent years.

British TV has now sunk to the point where, on several days per week, there is almost nothing that I want to watch. The glory days of sitcom are long gone and, in this bleak televisual landscape, "King Gary" is one of the few programs that reminds me there is still talent in the industry and that, perhaps, all is not (yet) lost.

Nah!

I finished the series today, and felt the second half of the series was stronger, maybe as I'd got used to Gary and Winkle being OTT. I live in Essex and there's blokes like that everywhere but this was dialled up to 11 even by sitcom standards, ha. Though I did like the first half too, that said. I'm hoping there's a second series or at least a special next. Terri is my favourite for sure, as G180e said Laura Checkley plays her magnificently .

Loved the ending too, and was genuinely surprised by it, not just because how unusually sweet it was for this series, but also... ***SPOILERS*** I'd assumed they were already married.