Sitcom Mission 2020

Comedy writing contest Sitcom Mission is open for entry from 1st January 2020...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/

We are indeed open for entries, though I suggest that you read the blog on not entering as soon as you can enter, rather than when you're ready to enter.

There's no virtue in entering as soon as the competition opens, and the drawback (not being able to tweak your script unless you've paid for feedback) should be pretty obvious.

Quote: simon wright @ 4th January 2020, 11:40 PM

and the drawback (not being able to tweak your script unless you've paid for feedback) should be pretty obvious.

I'm going to rule myself out of winning again with some sub Gervais cynicism to start with - Nice business plan, a cross between the Medieval Catholic church selling indulgences and a dodgy MOT garage. Can't go wrong with that, congrats. :) So if John Cleese sends in a perfect script he's taken 40 years to hone it could get completely ruined by unnecessary twiddling and fiddling.

Where's my shovel? Why not, it's a service like any other and nothing wrong with being in business. Is that enough? :$ :*:*:*

What's happened to the Gold and Silver Bullet service though for those not as flush as Clement & La Frenais hoping to win with Whatever Happened To Porridge?

I also think there should be more recognition on your site of 15mins being a very different discipline to 30mins script writing which most Brits are used to drafting. More Blog stuff on the Dynamics of 15min sitcoms would be handy. Here's my little observation on it - Shorter US sitcoms have short and snappy scenes which IMO can make their characters thin. Our Brit classics like Dad's Army and OFAH have longer scenes which makes for deeper characters and a more intimate viewing experience IMO. I want to write a Britcom...

It was commissioners who told us to make it a 15-minute competition. Plenty long enough to see if your premise is interesting, your characters are original, there's inherent conflict and that you've given each character a fresh and original voice. And that's true whichever side of the pond you are.

As for tweaking a script; US studio sitcoms can be changed on the night. Why waste any opportunity to make it as good as it possibly can be?

And it isn't compulsory to take out Silver or Gold feedback. They're simply services available to those who want a fresh eye on their script. If you don't want paid feedback, why not get some friends together and have a readthrough of your script? All it will cost you is beer and pizza and you'll soon see which bits need work, where you're repeating yourself etc.

As for characters in US sitcoms being 'thin' would someone else like to handle this? I can't be arsed.

Well I think they're wrong to, could explain why their sitcoms have been mostly rubbish for twenty years. Situation set up, resulting comic mayhem and resolution is hard enough to fit into 30mins (see Fawlty Towers running times for proof) let alone 15 measly mins, they're nuts. :S
If writers are doing it for you then great but surely the characters suffer? How do you squeeze a sitcom monster into that little box and still get a complete story with other characters in? Fleeting is the word that comes to my mind.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th January 2020, 11:12 AM

Well I think they're wrong to, could explain why their sitcoms have been mostly rubbish for twenty years.

Laughing out loud

Kipper, I actually admire your commitment to being wrong about almost everything.

I'm merely trying to help Simon by generating some interest in a thread with no replies in my usual successful way. I do not charge for this promotion service as I am pleased he's brought back the comp. But I take issue with his statement on his website about other opportunities - there is only One other decent and serious sitcom contest out there, BR. Sitcom Geeks doesn't have a sitcom comp AFAICS and BBCWR is like doing the Lottery but with no real prize for winning. So it's Welcome Back from me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th January 2020, 9:57 AM

What's happened to the Gold and Silver Bullet service though

If this is no longer available how about some Feedback Deals like Buy 2 get 1 Free?

James Cary and Dave Cohen (Sitcomgeeks) have just run their 'Script challenge' competition, so there is another competition out there.

I strongly recommend becoming a Patreon subscriber of theirs.

I supporting material allowed/encouraged?

Allowed and encouraged. The clearer idea you can give us of your work the better.

Ta.

WRITERS' GUILD AWARDS 2020

Delighted to see 3 of our finalists getting an award: Tasha Dhanraj got a Best Online Comedy award (with Hannah George) for 'Side Effects of the Pill', and Ciaran Murtagh and Andrew Barnett-Jones got Best Children's TV Episode award for 'Danger Mouse', Series 2, Episode 39 'Melted'.

Congrats to them!

Have I just seen Simon Wright on a TV advert?

You did, indeed. That's even more repeats. You've made my day!

S

Quote: simon wright @ 26th February 2020, 5:59 PM

You did, indeed. That's even more repeats. You've made my day!

S

I can't even remember what it was for now Grandad.