What are you watching on TV? Page 2,178

Quote: Briosaid @ 1st January 2020, 12:16 AM

You think?

Hey you are talking to the old decade. They ain't there yet.

I was going to slag off Sheila Ritchie, a Scottish Lib Dem, for leading us into WW3 but thought better of it with your sensitivities in mind. So instead I'm here with a lump of coal at your internet doorstep and for you.....just for you......the only other song I post every year on New Year's Eve having gone into New Year's Day. It is not one best but two bests. The first best is that it is the best football song ever written. And the second best is that it is the best song by a Scotsman ever written. There are two other possible bests. He could well be the best Scottish songwriter ever. And I know you are a female but it is probably the best song ever written about young male dreams. Enjoy - and have a happy Hogmanay.

Michael Marra - Hamish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqoGqoFCi2A

(The late Mick Marra was a loveable, underrated, genius - Mary Ann Kennedy used to play it at this time of year but was sadly ditched by the BBC. He supported Dundee but this song was in generosity and with a wonderful eye for a story to Dundee Utd. The story is multi-fold and amazing. Check it out. I never settled on a Scottish football team to support - nothing quite fitted - but I think it has to be Dundee Utd because of it although the Arbroath team have a great song too)

:)

Melanie Safka in to La Roux on Jools' TV show. Amazing moment of 2020.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st January 2020, 12:37 AM

I loved Melanie.

One of my biggest disappointments in women was that they didn't sing a folk song while strumming a guitar in my bed. :)

Great clip, Tarby!

I was a big fan of Melanie in the 1970s.

She had an absolutely astonishing voice.

Her version of "Ruby Tuesday" is unparalleled, in my view.

Well, they tied it up in a plastic bag
And turned it upside down, ma
Look what they done to my song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkEHgCHs_8

(The best version of "profound" is simple - it's well profound - and it gets better with every decade)

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st January 2020, 12:37 AM

I had a massive poster of her on my wall.

Incidentally just catching the end of that Miranda programme. What have they given that audience?

Just watched the fairly recent film 'zMary Queen of Scots'. Historically a load of shite but quite entertaining.

I watched the new Dracula last night. Well produced, great effects and an interesting story.

Great, wasn't it? Dracula in the same vein(!) as Christopher Lee - suave and wickedly handsome - a female Van Helsing, and buckets of blood.
"I'm undead but not unreasonable."

Film, 'All is True about Shakespeare. Just starting

Beaky I'm sorry but for me the only Dracula is the real Christopher Lee. And at the risk of sounding fussy he has to be pursued by Peter Cushing. Hammer House of Horror style. And in order to truly set the stage it has to be after 11 on a Friday night so that there's no school the next day and I have to have a Vesta curry freshly made from the kettle.
Other than that I'm good to go and if Olly Reed is the Werewolf all the better.

And what have they done with Vests Beef Risotto? I used to take packets of that on holiday for an easy lunch.

I'm watching "Dracula" and I have to say it's a sublime combination of in-your-face horror and beautifully subtle comedy.

The Count's attack upon the nunnery made me think of an evil Jimmy Carr (or, let's be honest, just Jimmy Carr) visiting a stand-up comedy training course for women in order to show the young hopefuls that the road to the top of the comedy business can sometimes be rockier than many of them might have been led to believe.

All in all, no matter how you interpret it, it's splendid stuff from Moffat and Gattis.

PS. And what about Sister Agatha? If ever anybody deserved her own spin-off series, it's Aggie! Laughing out loud

I'm now watching Episode 2 of "Dracula" and Mssrs Moffat and Gattis are continuing to nail it (a not entirely inappropriate metaphor, you might agree) with their brilliantly original take on a very old story.

Perhaps their most surprising achievement is that they've managed, apparently with consummate ease, to make a terrifying homicidal psychopath so immensely likeable. I'd go out for a pint with the count any time - with a suitable array of crucifixes about my person and my pockets full of garlic, of course. What an absolute hoot that evening would be!

Throw in the decidedly non-random number allocated to the mysterious cabin and count's apparently idiomatic quote from a pop song that was not to be written for almost another hundred years and it's easy to see why this three-part adaptation is going to be repeated again and again ad infinitum - or, at the very least, until the end of televisual time.

The BBC might be very far from perfect but I think it must be admitted that when they get something absolutely right they really do get it absolutely right!

Sister Aggie was lovely wasn't she. Let's see what she's like up to date tonight.