What are you watching on TV? Page 2,177

Quote: DaButt @ 30th December 2019, 5:37 PM

Ask Jeremy Corbyn?

Is he responsible for the US stuff too? Stabbings in New York.

Quote: john tregorran @ 30th December 2019, 5:40 PM

There was probably an Old Firm match going on.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: Briosaid @ 30th December 2019, 10:15 PM

Is he responsible for the US stuff too? Stabbings in New York.

It's all cut from the same disgusting cloth.

Not sure about the latest attacker, but the previous guy (deli killer) belonged to some sort of African-American "we're the real Jews and these guys are imposters and must die" sect.

Instead of the right wing right to bear arms and kill anyone we don't like brigade, that live on compounds and have the undying support of the POTUS who ironically is a draft dodger that sullied the genuine heroism of the likes of John McCain .

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 31st December 2019, 6:10 AM

Instead of the right wing right to bear arms and kill anyone we don't like brigade, that live on compounds

It's understandable because you don't live in this country and you've likely been misled by the media, but that remark has no basis in reality.

I don't live in Australia either so do you think these fires are real? Or am I being misled by the media again?

Quote: DaButt @ 31st December 2019, 3:51 AM

It's all cut from the same disgusting cloth.

Not sure about the latest attacker, but the previous guy (deli killer) belonged to some sort of African-American "we're the real Jews and these guys are imposters and must die" sect.

I like when the killers are of a left wing bent it's their world view that's to blame, but when they use right wing views to justify their actions (as they often do) they're mentally I'll and not representative of that community.

Or the compound they came out of with military grade weapons they bought at a car boot sale.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 31st December 2019, 11:39 AM

I don't live in Australia either so do you think these fires are real? Or am I being misled by the media again?

We were discussing anti-Semitic attacks. Why bring up the fires in Australia?

Quote: chipolata @ 31st December 2019, 12:44 PM

I like when the killers are of a left wing bent it's their world view that's to blame, but when they use right wing views to justify their actions (as they often do) they're mentally I'll and not representative of that community.

This has as much to do with anti-Semitic attacks as the Australian fires. I haven't seen anyone labeling labeling them with a left or right tag.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 31st December 2019, 1:07 PM

Or the compound they came out of with military grade weapons they bought at a car boot sale.

Again with the imaginary compounds and imaginary military-grade weapons.

I'm currently watching the Michael Monkhouse edition of Would I Lie to You?

I knew it was a special MM edition as soon as I saw the episode title: "At Christmas".

Quote: DaButt @ 31st December 2019, 11:28 AM

It's understandable because you don't live in this country and you've likely been misled by the media, but that remark has no basis in reality.

As a matter of interest, in your opinion what are the news sources that can be trusted? I'm genuinely interested.

Quote: chipolata @ 31st December 2019, 6:17 PM

As a matter of interest, in your opinion what are the news sources that can be trusted? I'm genuinely interested.

If you're expecting me to list Fox News or Rush Limbaugh you'll be disappointed, I've never watched either. I don't watch TV (except for programs that I've downloaded) and I haven't listened to radio in 25 years. I have no appetite for any sort of politics-based "entertainment."

There are no news outlets that I trust 100%. There are no news outlets that I distrust 100%. I worked at a daily newspaper for 8 years in the 90s and although they did their best to report the news accurately, that didn't mean that it wasn't colored by their own individual beliefs and biases. None of our reporters or editorial staff were veterans, none had ever voted for a Republican, and none were gun owners. Not a very well-rounded assortment of people.

I digest multiple news stories in order to obtain an approximation of the truth. I'm adept at winnowing the truth from the chaff, and the news from the bias.

It would be nice if the news media stuck to reporting the news and left the thinking to the viewers, rather than telling them how to think.

The Sting

Great movie but the ending always seems a bit of an anticlimax

I've just watched the Dame Edna special which was very good.

Robert Rinder and Sharon Osbourne were excellent guests.

There were a handful of other guests one of whom was a young man called Joe Sugg (never heard of him!) who was mystified when Dame Edna referred to herself as a "cradle snatcher" as he had never heard the expression before.

OMG. What's wrong with the site tonight. No offence - but it is so slow it could be being beamed in from North Korea without much of a beam. Normally I'm uncharacteristically as miserable as f**k on NYE. when genuinely I do try my best at most times to remain upbeat. And this year is not only no exception but possibly an all time low. I've got flu. Parents next door have now gone permanently mad and not without spite which they don't recognise. I'm been waiting for an eternity for a scan which is probably going to be delivering bad news. And most of a tooth dropped out just after Christmas and the dentist is on a three week jaunt to Ireland so while he jigs like a leprechaun with his old rugby pals in County Clare my tongue is turning into a diminished and badly bloodied peat bog. Otherwise it's all just terrific. Happy new year to all.

What have I been watching on TV? Julie Walters followed by Billy Elliot. Have seen the latter before but long ago and cried my way through it though in a great way. There are just so many aspects of it which resonate in terms of social history it is extraordinary - going up to a posh big school from a comparatively pleb place, themes of masculinity dealt with brilliantly here, T Rex and the Jam and the Clash, the glorious North and North East where I was at the time of the miners' strike, my own redundancy. dementia, the revisiting of knee jerk reactions on overt swearing in culture for it sits very suitably here to accentuate contrasts and even looking through its lens at the 2019 General Election result ....the list increases as the years go on which is obviously the sign of a very good production. It hugely resonates on about half a dozen levels with people of my generation but is much more than a period piece from our perspectives. Young people need to know. Now they do.

As I celebrate Millwall's 1-0 victory over Brentford, I am noting with interest how gay my selections of choice have been during this purportedly festive season. From the Carry Ons through a night with Dolly and onto (Wood and) Walters and a ballet story, all it needs is Abba and I have the full list. So be it. Especially so as I am so very old now that I am aware that all of these things were originally sexless (other than Agnetha's bum and Parton's tits) until they were embraced by the cultural end of gay politics. That was fine except that it all then meant one had to say one liked these people for them rather than what they said about oneself which was virtually nothing unless as with Elliot it is broadly contextualised.

That is, in my case not on orientation which is absent but that I was crap at competitive sports including in getting your trolley round Tescos and bloody office politics and I loved freedom of expression of all kinds. Anyways, the friendship between Billy and his mate being everyday and bridge building is among many aspects of the film which are moving and it has more clout than any cliché any day. I couldn't give a toss whether this or that fits into any zeitgeist. I only follow people who I rate. But you know that anyway. Do I enjoy Gavin and Stacey? No - although I am not going to upset folk by being nasty about it. And I love Alison Steadman. Abigail's Party especially is pure class. For ever and ever. Auld lang syne. Incidentally, the one thing I had forgotten about the Elliot film was that it featured Peter Reid, albeit with a fake accent.

Oh we've arrived. Hated every year that began with a "2" since 1999. 20 years ago I was trying to be optimistic. Talking of the North etc, I played this Ultrasound (long forgotten band) song continuously in my flat on the lead-in. It is a stone dead classic. "Gary Glitter's gone to seed so who will lead us now?". Almost every leader that has followed, unfortunately:

Ultrasound - Stay Young - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-48qMbjpwVg

Quote: DaButt @ 31st December 2019, 7:55 PM

I digest multiple news stories in order to obtain an approximation of the truth. I'm adept at winnowing the truth from the chaff, and the news from the bias..

You think?