Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special 2019

Well I for one am thrilled. It was inevitably going to happen at some point. I still watch the other special every Christmas.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5321/gavin_and_stacey_to_return/

I remember watching the first episode of "Gavin and Stacey" and, within the first few seconds, thinking it was going to be an all-round high-quality affair.

And it was.

It might not be everybody's cup of tea but it's a very nice cup of tea all the same.

Agree with you both, I enjoy it. The first 2 series and Christmas special I found fun, and though - in my opinion - the quality kinda dropped for series 3, I still liked it until the end. I too watch the special each Christmas (thanks Gold and BBC).

I had been thinking of re-watching them as it has been ages since I've watched the main series, what better time than now? (Well, could save it for Autumn/December so it's nearer the time).

Huh. If anyone's planning a re-watch before Christmas and don't have the box set, and just Netflix to watch it on then do it before 14th July as it leaves Netflix then.

That said, I'm guessing the reason it's leaving Netflix is maybe Amazon have snapped it up or BBC will make the box set available via iPlayer.

If not, there's always Gold's rolling repeats.

Netflix is missing Series 3 either way, so wherever it goes it'll probably have it this time.

30 second clip from the special - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPA7nF_Fdvk

Typically, Bryn bites off more than he can chew.

I had it on in the background. It was cosy and hit all the right notes without being earth shattering.

A lovely nostalgic treat. I did wonder why on Earth Smithy would regress to be with that awful woman but aside from that, a great episode. Obviously there will be more specials or a series.

Absolute drivel: frankly just confirming that it's one of the most overrated shows of all time IMO!

I quite liked it.

I really enjoyed it. Felt just right, and as Chipolata said, not Earth shattering, and glad they didn't go overboard.

Nice touch of nostalgia - and personal resonance - when Stacey lists off her memories of their early time together but because of her anxiety that they may not make new memories like that. Because that's how a lot of people that age feel. That very modern version of a midlife crisis.

Smithy was still Smithy but - albeit with another one night stand happening - it felt like his and Nessa's relationship had really matured, and in the intervening years actually ended up liking each other. On the flip side there's his clinginess to Sonia who is more than a bit controlling! So he's not quite 100% matured.

All in all it really worked. I hope it does continue at some point, but also hope them making it is left until they have a solid story. Because as much as the show has always tapped into that experience of people's lives, this episode drew from real life more than ever before and they should take their time with it to make it feel right.

I read the most appalling newspaper review of this special and so it was with some trepidation that I settled down to watch it.

In the event, however, I have to say it was perfectly decent.

It's strange that Ruth Jones lives a relatively quiet and relatively ordinary life in Wales while James Corden is living the full-on multi-millionaire celebrity lifestyle in California.

As we're always saying, it's a funny old world.

Thank God not all soaps are on everyday. I just wish all the others would only appear once every few years.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th December 2019, 12:22 AM

It's strange that Ruth Jones lives a relatively quiet and relatively ordinary life in Wales while James Corden is living the full-on multi-millionaire celebrity lifestyle in California

There could be a sitcom in this?

Failing that, a Richard Curtis film?

I thought it was great.

It was lovely to catch up with all the characters again, they all slipped straight back into the roles perfectly like they'd never been away.

Whilst it did end on that big cliffhanger, it wouldn't bother me too much if they left it there as I do feel if they were to keep on doing it, it may ruin it.

On the whole though, wonderful Christmas Day viewing.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and must confess I believed we were finally going to get the story from the fishing trip.

Now, if only there would be a new Still Game Hogmanay special...