BREXIT Page 18

Quote: billwill @ 12th December 2019, 1:32 AM

I might do that if you can come up with an accurate description/estimate of what the EU will be like and what the UK's position in the EU will be like in 15-20 years time if the UK remains in the EU.

Well, we kind of know what being in the EU entails, the onus really is on Brexiteers to outline a clear vision of what life outside it will be like. Which they haven't done, other than it'll be sunshine and lollipops. For a man who loves detail, you've certainly nailed yourself to the vaguest and most abstract and ill-defined future possible.

Quote: chipolata @ 12th December 2019, 10:38 AM

Well, we kind of know what being in the EU entails, the onus really is on Brexiteers to outline a clear vision of what life outside it will be like. Which they haven't done, other than it'll be sunshine and lollipops. For a man who loves detail, you've certainly nailed yourself to the vaguest and most abstract and ill-defined future possible.

No we don't 'kind of know' any more than we knew in 1974 that the common market trading agreement would turn into a political organization and that our politicians would prevent the UK population from voting on the conversion despite other EU countries having referenda on the matter.

Could this be a fake? I can find no reference to it other than the posting on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/terry.reeves.12/videos/10211756864436080/

Yup.
That's Alice Weidel of AfD, the far-right German nationalist party.
Strongly anti-EU and good friends with far-right groups and not very keen on same-sex marriage or foreigners.
And they think it's time Germans stopped beating themselves up about the Holocaust.
They haver a youth wing called "Young Alternative for Germany" - presumably because the name "Hitler Youth" had already been taken.
Don't know who Terry Reeves is, but he seems to be a racist old fart.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st December 2019, 7:07 PM

Yup.
That's Alice Weidel of AfD, the far-right German nationalist party.
Strongly anti-EU and good friends with far-right groups and not very keen on same-sex marriage or foreigners.
And they think it's time Germans stopped beating themselves up about the Holocaust.
They haver a youth wing called "Young Alternative for Germany" - presumably because the name "Hitler Youth" had already been taken.
Don't know who Terry Reeves is, but he seems to be a racist old fart.

Yes. And again It's just one person's opinion. Dig Hitler up and reinvigorate him, Bill, and he'd no doubt agree with your views.

Virtually every EU country has a growing right wing faction and their elections are bringing in more right wing governments, so knocking Britain for being racist or anti foreign is a bit rich next to the actions of Italians or Hungarians. Britain has acted in a civilised way and merely decided to rule itself again and quite honestly, leave a sinking ship. I do not know why this makes some so hot under the collar and call us Nazis, it's way off but I expect we'll see a lot more of it in the last few days before we leave. Ta ta EUWave

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 22nd December 2019, 2:37 AM

Virtually every EU country has a growing right wing faction and their elections are bringing in more right wing governments, so knocking Britain for being racist or anti foreign is a bit rich next to the actions of Italians or Hungarians. Britain has acted in a civilised way and merely decided to rule itself again and quite honestly, leave a sinking ship. I do not know why this makes some so hot under the collar and call us Nazis, it's way off but I expect we'll see a lot more of it in the last few days before we leave. Ta ta EUWave

We shall return here next Christmas and compare notes. Wave

I was amused by the front page of the Express yesterday: Boris promises a Golden Age. He's f**king Gloriana now! The gullibility of the Brexit voters knows no bounds.

Quote: beaky @ 22nd December 2019, 12:17 PM

He's f**king Gloriana

Remainers: He's f**king us all!

Leavers: Oh no he isn't!

Remainers: Oh yes he is!

Quote: Briosaid @ 21st December 2019, 8:15 PM

Yes. And again It's just one person's opinion. Dig Hitler up and reinvigorate him, Bill, and he'd no doubt agree with your views.

It isn't one person's views it is a whole party, with seats in the EU Parliament and there are other anti EU parties of other countries with similar views.. Get your facts right.

Why do you feel this need to keep insulting me.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Reductio ad Hitlerum
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adolf Hitler

Reductio ad Hitlerum (/?h?tl?r?m/; pseudo-Latin for "reduction to Hitler"; sometimes argumentum ad Hitlerum, "argument to Hitler", ad Nazium, "to Nazism"), or playing the Nazi card, is an attempt to invalidate someone else's position on the basis that the same view was held by Adolf Hitler or the Nazi Party,[1] for example: "Hitler was against tobacco smoking, X is against tobacco smoking, therefore X is a Nazi".

Coined by Leo Strauss in 1953, reductio ad Hitlerum borrows its name from the term used in logic, reductio ad absurdum (reduction to the absurd).[2] According to Strauss, reductio ad Hitlerum is a form of ad hominem, ad misericordiam, or a fallacy of irrelevance. The suggested rationale is one of guilt by association. It is a tactic often used to derail arguments, because such comparisons tend to distract and anger the opponent.[3]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shame really, comparison to Hitler on an Internet forum is normally the last resort of the incompetent. Not that our Briosaid is incompetent of course, as she has repeatedly stated. It's just that none of her postings seem to demonstrate any real proof of competence.

http://trove42.com/godwins-law-how-adolf-hitler-is-mathematically-connected-to-internet-forum-discussions/

Today, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and discussion forums that once a Hitler comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned Hitler has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.

Bill, you are a boring arse and I claim my five pounds, I've already had to put up with your Brexit obsession on my Facebook, which led to one of my friends savaging you for incompetence. You don't know as much as you think you do. Give it a rest and give us all peace. And a Merry Christmas to all wankers.

Quote: beaky @ 22nd December 2019, 12:17 PM

I was amused by the front page of the Express yesterday: Boris promises a Golden Age. He's f**king Gloriana now! The gullibility of the Brexit voters knows no bounds.

Brexiteers do seem to think that getting Brexit and Brexit being a success are one and the same thing. There seems to be no concept of the difficulties ahead, just sunshine and lollipops and no downside whatsoever. All encouraged by our PM, Patch Adams.

To me there seems to be far more people determined for it not to be a success, which is a very sad thing. Think if we'd gone into WW2 with half the country wanting us to lose. :(

BJ has a very strong hand now in the trade deal negotiations, the EU needs to wake up to what has happened instead of hoping it was a dream which will go away. The LibDems did that and got mullered in the election. As yet there has been zero admission from the EU that their rigidity has lost them the 2nd largest contributor to their club, any other organisation would have to concede that that is a catastrophic failure of management and be a bit more flexible.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd December 2019, 7:35 AM

To me there seems to be far more people determined for it not to be a success, which is a very sad thing. Think if we'd gone into WW2 with half the country wanting us to lose. :(

Firstly, don't keep mentioning the war, It has nothing whatsoever to with what's happening now. And last time I checked we live in a democracy, people are entitled to hold whatever opinions they like. And there is a difference between wanting something to fail and believing that we're taking a leap in the dark because nobody has planned properly or thought about the consequences of something.