Status report Page 6,059

You should worry! I paid more than £45 the other day for 60 second class stamps and 6 cards going overseas. :O

Royal Mail customer service is non existent. Last December 19th I sent a birthday card to my dad with a 1pm next day delivery from a post office so it would arrive the following day on his birthday which I often do because I leave it to the last minute and they have always arrived but last year it was a day late. I had a legitimate claim for a full refund of about £7.50 (can't remember the exact amount) so I followed the refunds process online and got a reference number. A year later and I'm still waiting for a response so I don't hold out much hope. I called a customer service number a few times and was on hold for so long I gave up and even staff in a post office wasn't sure of who I can speak to for an update on my refund application.

Twenty years ago I put 50p in a payphone and it didn't register so I called BT operator 100 from the same payphone and arranged for a refund cheque to be posted to me. Still waiting for that to arrive too.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th December 2019, 4:46 PM

A year later and I'm still waiting for a response

I'm sure Royal Mail is far from perfect but, in fairness, my personal experience with them has always been pretty good.

In the last few years, they've lost a couple of packages that I was sending through the post. In each case, I filled in the relevant forms online, provided proof of posting and proof of the value of the contents, and they sent me a compensation check and a very sincere-sounding letter of apology almost in the twinkling of an eye.

I'd chase them up, if I were you.

I only got one right in the quiz this week.I usually average about 5.Tut tut!

Quote: Briosaid @ 17th December 2019, 2:37 PM

You should worry! I paid more than £45 the other day for 60 second class stamps and 6 cards going overseas. :O

That's what you'll pay to post to England if you leave the UK but I don't suppose you have any friends down here.

Quote: Chappers @ 18th December 2019, 2:09 PM

That's what you'll pay to post to England if you leave the UK but I don't suppose you have any friends down here.

I have a number of friends (some of whom have expressed the desire to move to Scotland because they're disgusted with the present Westminster parliament) and I also have a number of relatives.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th December 2019, 12:18 PM

I've just returned from the post office in a state of shock after finding out that a second class stamp costs 61p.

As if that were not bad enough, seven of the bastards cost £4.27

Just watching the 1976 Happy Ever After Christmas Special (as one does). Stamps for Terry & June's Christmas cards are 6.5p each.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th December 2019, 8:39 PM

Just watching the 1976 Happy Ever After Christmas Special (as one does). Stamps for Terry & June's Christmas cards are 6.5p each.

Great Scott! (and great Whitfield too, I suppose).

6.5p is certainly my kind of stamp price.

All I need is some sort of wormhole leading back to 1976!

The "Doctor Who" theme is playing in my head.

Ah, Tom Baker! You were the best!

I stumbled across the wiki page about the tragic Byford Dolphin incident and have spent the last few days reading about diving. I knew about the bends but never realised how dangerous and complicated deep sea diving is. It's made me want to dig out my Men Of Honour DVD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

I had to read up on it to separate fact from fiction and to understand the effect of explosive decompression on the human body. This describes it and explains how rapid decompression can cause physical damage to human tissue. The details of what happened to the Byford Dolphin diving team makes more sense after reading it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barotrauma

Quote: Briosaid @ 18th December 2019, 2:56 PM

I have a number of friends (some of whom have expressed the desire to move to Scotland because they're disgusted with the present Westminster parliament) and I also have a number of relatives.

Are they ex-Labour MPs?

Quote: Chappers @ 19th December 2019, 9:20 PM

Are they ex-Labour MPs?

I'll remind you the Tories in Scotland have lost more than half their seats, and It's only a few years since they, too, were reduced to ONE MP in Scotland. Let's hope the traitors will meet that fate again.
P.S. I didn't vote Labour.
P.P.S. I have known a few M.P.s in the past, the most famous being Donald Dewar whom I knew through work - lovely compassionate man.

Dewar.
He's got a friendly name,anyway :)

44 c here.Phew!
that's 44 divided by 5=nearly 9,times 9=81,add 32 = 113 F

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th December 2019, 6:12 AM

44 c here.Phew!
that's 44 divided by 5=nearly 9,times 9=81,add 32 = 113 F

When I read about your heat, I start to appreciate the grim, gray, rainy weather we've been having here for ages.

Yes,at times like this,I can get sentimental about my winters in Welsh Wales.:)