What are you watching on TV? Page 2,173

Just going back briefly to the joiking. It is an acquired taste. Today the programme was mainly for the animals, the lifestyles, the landscapes and the immense BBC production which in pushing the broadcasting boat out was both audacious (in the uncontroversial sense) and utterly fantastic for being so. But when I drifted from huge enthusiasms in five decades plus for popular music I did go deep to world music for 10 years plus having been there or thereabouts for 30. It fascinates me that the music of remote Scandinavia is not dissimilar to my ears to that of remote Tibet or Japan.

I could provide steers to people wanting to know. So I'd say this on the Nordic etc traditions. First, I don't know much about Baer. But if you would like to explore a female angle on it, go to Mari Boine. Brilliant. If you want a slightly indie angle on joiks, it is definitely Adjegas who once played at Glasto Then I must have an angle on Marmite Bjork. Totally pro actually from the Sugarcubes onwards as I do see and hear her as firmly in those roots, albeit updated for this age. She has the ability to move me and I made a point of seeing her live at Glastonbury which lived up to all my expectations.

One of me favourite Bjorks - Joga - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BSMcVRgloY

Classical music wise : I've taught myself big time on this in the past decade, having not a lot better to do, starting from almost nothing - Jon Leifs was amazing and, I'd say, too, a bit rockist/filmic trendy. Not one of my favourites - a bit too sturm and drang - but interesting. He definitely had something. What do I do? Not a lot - absolutely useless on most things - but I try to cast the net wide and hope some will follow and get the kind of enjoyment I have found from it:

Jon Leifs (Iceland) - Geysir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndf2kGf82oU&t=42s

Programme about James Galway. Love his stuff.

News. Greta Thunberg is bloody brilliant.

One of Trump's lies was that he'd been on the front page of Time magazine. He'll be furious, which makes it even better.

...at looking like a sulky 8 year old. If she's a vegan as I suspect she is then she's a terrible advert for it, she doesn't look at all like a healthy 16 year old. And I do wonder how far she's going to go before she has to use evil fossil fuels in one way or another. She's set herself a very hard task and she's put herself in the searing spotlight. She has more than a hint of Joan of Ark about her and look how that ended.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th December 2019, 11:22 PM

...at looking like a sulky 8 year old. If she's a vegan as I suspect she is then she's a terrible advert for it, she doesn't look at all like a healthy 16 year old. And I do wonder how far she's going to go before she has to use evil fossil fuels in one way or another. She's set herself a very hard task and she's put herself in the searing spotlight. She has more than a hint of Joan of Ark about her and look how that ended.

And do tell us what brilliant things YOU did at that age. Bugger all, I imagine.

Oh, and by the way, Alfred, how fluent are you in Swedish?

Lots of old people taking the piss out of Greta.She scares them.It's hard to accept for some that they've helped bugger up the planet.

Autism is just being dyslexic with emotions.

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th December 2019, 11:28 PM

And do tell us what brilliant things YOU did at that age. Bugger all, I imagine.

Oh, and by the way, Alfred, how fluent are you in Swedish?

Don't need to be, have you ever been there? They all talk better English than you do. Same as most of Europe bar France once they know you're English.

And back to TV - been some great progs on Nazi war machines lately but I wish they'd do some Allied ones. Lots of train progs on too, keep them coming. Train Truckers is one that's grabbed my attention, I thought locos were transported on tracks between countries, well I never. And remember Hazell? Watched one for first time in 40 years and it was stunningly good. Exactly the sort of thing we need now on TV. I find all these popular drama shows too clinical and overdone. Think it's on TPTV for anyone interested.

One Million Years BC. Go Rock Tribe!

Quote: john tregorran @ 12th December 2019, 6:04 AM

Lots of old people taking the piss out of Greta.She scares them.It's hard to accept for some that they've helped bugger up the planet.

She definitely triggers a lot of hate filled middle aged men. Men who I sincerely hope don't have daughters.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th December 2019, 10:36 AM

Don't need to be, have you ever been there? They all talk better English than you do. Same as most of Europe bar France once they know you're English.

Typical xenophobic arrogance. Just what I expect from you, Alfred. Yes, the French have your card marked, quite rightly. They know a numpty when they see one.

Paris is like that but not the rest of France.

I'm just watching the Jonathan Ross show and among his guests is a band called Keane.

Apparently, they're mega-famous and they've sold a zillion records: so why have I never heard of them?

In fact, why can I not distinguish between one musical group and another these days?

Is one boy band really any different from another? Is one girl band really band any different from another?

Is any musical artist really any different from another?

In asking the above questions, I'm put in mind of my youthful years when no adult in my family could tell the difference between any two musical acts of the day.

My parents' generation thought every "modern" singer and group was rubbish - in much the same way as I currently think every modern singer and group is rubbish.

Graham Norton has a different musical act on his show every week (or at least very frequently) and yet I've never in my life seen any difference between any of the acts he has had on. For all I know, it might be the same people returning every single week!

I think it must be an age thing. Laughing out loud

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th December 2019, 3:32 AM

Paris is like that but not the rest of France.

Yes, Paris is just like many other capital.. However I always find French people very friendly, especially when you're polite enough to try to speak to them in theur own language.

Watching 'Elf' for the first time ever.