Smack The Pony Page 3

Smack the Pony was, in my view, one of the finest and most original British TV sketch shows of all time.

If we put gender into the equation and look at only "substantially female" British sketch shows, I think it's in a league of its own - far, far ahead of anything else we've ever seen.

Clearly, the sketch shows by French and Saunders, Victoria Wood and Catherine Tate were all marvellous in their own ways but I suspect their appeal was universal, by which I mean they appealed as much to men as they did to women.

Smack the Pony, I suspect, appeals very much more to women than it does to men - everything about it is just so spectacularly female.

I'd never seen anything like it before and I've never seen anything like it since: I doubt I'll ever see anything like it ever again.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff!

I agree, it was brilliant.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th December 2019, 4:29 PM

Smack the Pony was, in my view, one of the finest and most original British TV sketch shows of all time.

If we put gender into the equation and look at only "substantially female" British sketch shows, I think it's in a league of its own - far, far ahead of anything else we've ever seen.

Clearly, the sketch shows by French and Saunders, Victoria Wood and Catherine Tate were all marvellous in their own ways but I suspect their appeal was universal, by which I mean they appealed as much to men as they did to women.

Smack the Pony, I suspect, appeals very much more to women than it does to men - everything about it is just so spectacularly female.

I'd never seen anything like it before and I've never seen anything like it since: I doubt I'll ever see anything like it ever again.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff!

You're saying it didn't appeal to men? What are you then? Actually I liked it too.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th December 2019, 4:29 PM

Smack the Pony, I suspect, appeals very much more to women than it does to men

Quote: Chappers @ 10th December 2019, 9:32 PM

You're saying it didn't appeal to men?

Is English your first language, Chappers? Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ 9th September 2009, 9:43 PM

It was an okay show that's got a much better reputation than it deserves. Although compared to a lot of recent sketch shows, it's practically Shakespeare.

Wise words from a younger more virile Chip. Although looking back I can barely remember much of it now, so I it didn't leave much of an impression on my psyche.

Inspired by this thread, I decided to re-watch Episode 1 of Series 1.

It was every bit as good as I remembered.

The sketch about the Scouse couple making an appeal for information about their missing child was so well written and so well performed that I'd rank it among the funniest sketches I've ever seen. It certainly contains a line of dialogue that I'd rank among the funniest comedy lines I've ever heard.

In fact, I was so impressed with Episode 1 that I watched all seven episodes of Series 1 and two Christmas specials!

Smack the Pony really is sensationally good!

PS. I'll be re-watching Series 2 and Series 3 very soon. Laughing out loud