I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Page 3

Episode one of the next series will be broadcast on Monday, 14th November at 18:30 on BBC Radio 4 (yay!!)

Been a hugh fan for years especially of Humph and Willie Rushton.
Actually saw it when the Road Show came to my neck of the woods in North Wales recently.
With one of my favourite comics Jeremy Hardy, and Tony Hawkes, Barry Cryer, and Tim Brook Taylor, fantastic show heartily recommend it.

Series 68 starts on Monday 13th November. It's the first of two shows recorded in High Wycombe. Jan Ravens is the guest panellist.

Oh, and Graeme Garden returns to the show after an enforced 2-year absence.

Other recordings this year will be from Margate (with Tony Hawks) and Hull (guest TBC). Unfortunately tickets have sold out.

Quote: antster1983 @ 2nd November 2017, 1:57 PM

Oh, and Graeme Garden returns to the show after an enforced 2-year absence.

Enforced by what or whom? I had been wondering why he hasn't been on.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd November 2017, 11:16 PM

Enforced by what or whom? I had been wondering why he hasn't been on.

Ditto.

All seems a bit strange. Health problems? Falling out? Other commitments ?

From what I can gather, a combination of ill health and other commitments.

He wasn't at the Margate recording (Andy Hamilton stood in), and it remains to be seen if he'll be at the Hull recording on Monday (John Finnemore has been confirmed - let's hope they haven't booked Jeremy Hardy as well - one terrible singer is enough!).

Having said that, it was great to hear Graeme again these past two weeks, complete with harmonica, the return of Dougal to The Glen, and of course his running gag in Word for Word.

Quote: antster1983 @ 25th November 2017, 1:12 PM

From what I can gather, a combination of ill health and other commitments.

He wasn't at the Margate recording (Andy Hamilton stood in), and it remains to be seen if he'll be at the Hull recording on Monday (John Finnemore has been confirmed - let's hope they haven't booked Jeremy Hardy as well - one terrible singer is enough!).

Having said that, it was great to hear Graeme again these past two weeks, complete with harmonica, the return of Dougal to The Glen, and of course his running gag in Word for Word.

and don't forget Alfredo Garcia

I've recently been listening to "I'm sorry I'll Read That Again" and its been interesting seeing the history of 'I'm Sorry...' in the programmes. There's the silliness and word play such as Graeme Garden starting all the word games with "no that was my word" but also the recurrent themes running through it that the audience cheer such as Angus Prune and Rhubarb. A couple of the programmes finish on a big 'story' of several minutes that would fit right in to the Hamish and Dougal series. I think for a 50 year programme I've mainly been surprised at how well most of the humour has held up. The Bill Oddie songs seem a bit of a filler and some of the humour is of is time e.g. camp voices but on the whole well worth listening to.

Have managed to purchase tickets for (I) the recording of two programmes for the upcoming winter 2019 series at Portsmouth on 5 November, (ii) the recording of two programmes for the upcoming series at Richmond, Surrey on 17 November and (iii) one of the shows in their 2020 tour at Chichester on 8 January.

By 9 January I should be all clued up! (I suppose I should add "see what I did there". But I won't...)

I can understand why the producers deem it necessary to bring in (relatively) younger guests but I'm really missing the regulars in this latest series. Of the couple I've listened to only Tim Brooke Taylor has appeared. Whilst it was a nice nod its just not the same when someone like Miles Jupp works in Alfredo Garcia.

All three regulars are back together again for the final two shows of the series (together with Sandi Toksvig), recorded at Richmond Theatre on 17 November, albeit Barry Cryer now walking on stage with the aid of a walking stick and a little hard of hearing (on occasions duplicating an answer that one of the others had given a few seconds earlier, which will doubtless be edited out of the broadcast).

You'll have had your tea...

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 5th December 2019, 6:48 PM

I can understand why the producers deem it necessary to bring in (relatively) younger guests but I'm really missing the regulars in this latest series. Of the couple I've listened to only Tim Brooke Taylor has appeared. Whilst it was a nice nod its just not the same when someone like Miles Jupp works in Alfredo Garcia.

Yeah, I understand that death and old age will mean one day none of the old regulars pop up, but it's a shame how thin on the ground they seem in some episodes. When that happens I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is still enjoyable, but does sound somewhat like a generic Radio 4 panel show.

It does make me wonder whether it will soon be time to call it day. I wasn't sure after 'Humph' died but I think the persistence appearances of the regulars carried it through. Glad that Jack Dee has shown enough commitment for however many years it is.

As mentioned above it starts to sound a bit generic and I can't see any of today's comedians wanting to commit to regular appearances in the same way as TBT, GC and BC.

I have similar thoughts about Just A Minute which although I'm finding a bit tired I still make a point of listening to. I think when Nicolas Parsons calls it a day its probably time to end it.

Not that I can actually listen to anything on BBC Sounds but that's a whole new thread.

The only televised recording of ISIHAC, broadcast on BBC4 in 2008, featuring the late and much lamented Humphrey Lyttleton, Tim Brooke Taylor & Jeremy Hardy alongside Barry Cryer, Graeme Garden & Colin Sell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohQt_P_wpU

47 years without a clue - a tribute to Tim Brooke Taylor, introduced by Graeme Garden, on Radio 4 12:04 tomorrow (Sunday 10 May) and on Radio 4 Extra 07.30 & 17.30 on Monday 11 May