Trouble with quoting....

Quite a few times recently I've quoted another member and then, when I looked at the post, their words were just included as if I'd written them. It just happened on the News thread and I had to delete my post pretty sharpish to avoid people thinking Rood Eyes words were my own!

Is it just me affected by this quote function breakdown?

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd December 2019, 5:43 PM

Let's see.

EDIT: Yep.

Quote: DaButt" post="1214910" ddate="3rd December 2019, 6:16 PM

Let's see.

EDIT: Yep.

It doesn't happen all the time. It's mercurial.

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd December 2019, 5:43 PM

Quite a few times recently I've quoted another member and then, when I looked at the post, their words were just included as if I'd written them. It just happened on the News thread and I had to delete my post pretty sharpish to avoid people thinking Rood Eyes words were my own!

It fails if there are round brackets in the quoted material.. This was noted many moons ago.

Quote: billwill @ 3rd December 2019, 6:57 PM

It fails if there are round brackets in the quoted material.. This was noted many moons ago.

Cheers billwill (except for that passive aggressive bit at the end).

Quote: billwill @ 3rd December 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd December 2019, 7:14 PM

Cheers billwill (except for that passive aggressive bit at the end).

Chip's post has round brackets yet appears to be eminently quotable.

I think Billwill stumbled close to the truth with his condescending post. I think the posts I've had trouble with have been heavily formatted.

In my experience it's not the round brackets that cause the problem but, if there's already square brackets within the quoted text (eg to italicise or bolden certain words), the further square brackets used for quoting are overridden.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th December 2019, 9:26 AM

In my experience it's not the round brackets that cause the problem but, if there's already square brackets within the quoted text (eg to italicise or bolden certain words), the further square brackets used for quoting are overridden.

That does appear to be correct.

When trying to quote a post that contains (for example) italics, the quote function fails and the quoted words appear to be those of the person attempting to use the quote function.

Well done, Billy!

Further notes:

If the quoted post contains a pair of square brackets used for formatting (italics, et cetera) and thus invisible in the original post, the quoted words will appear as if they are the words of the person trying to quote them.

However, if the quoted post contains a pair of square brackets used simply as brackets and thus visible in the original post, the quoted post will appear with "[/quote]" printed at the end and "[quote]" at the beginning.

OK, hands up... [I was wrong on the detail]..

Quote: billwill @ 5th December 2019, 12:34 PM

OK, hands up... [I was wrong on the detail]..

I guess I'm not a square person.

Quote: chipolata @ 4th December 2019, 6:36 AM

I think Billwill stumbled close to the truth with his condescending post. I think the posts I've had trouble with have been heavily formatted.

No stumbling involved.. I forget Faces and Places and Films, but I rarely forget a programming bug as I'm wired that way.

And I'm sorry that you find a statement of truth condescending. It really was discussed many moons ago, unfortunately now impossible to verify as the old pages (beyond page 4) of the index to the Site News section now appear to be blank.

Thanks for pointing this out, guys. There's some slightly complex stuff going on behind the scenes on this - I'll aim to get it sorted ASAP.

Should now be fixed, but it's possible some weird combination of elements could cause it to collapse. Do shout if you see such a thing happening, and let me know the entire code of the offending post.

Thanks again!