George & Mildred Page 11

In the first four episodes of series 5 what is the painting of the woman in their main room, just behind George's chair? The painting was changed after that.

Quote: hawtdawg @ 2nd December 2019, 8:56 PM

In the first four episodes of series 5 what is the painting of the woman in their main room, just behind George's chair? The painting was changed after that.

If you mean the picture above, it's a nice example of a much-maligned style known as "kitsch".

Prints of that painting are still to be found in some trendy retro locations in various European countries.

The original artist remains anonymous to this day.

Thank you Rood Eye.

Love Brian Murphy, One of those rare comedy actors with funny bones.

That is a nice picture and I would be interested to know if it's a real painting or created as a prop. One person who might know is Andy Armstrong. He should know where that painting came from.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1161968/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr27

Thank you for the info Definitely Tarby. Don't see any way to contact Mr. Armstrong to ask him.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 3rd December 2019, 2:11 AM

That is a nice picture and I would be interested to know if it's a real painting or created as a prop.

It was certainly not created for the show.

I can tell you for a fact that the picture of the woman on the Ropers' wall is a print that had been popular among the general public for a considerable time before it ever appeared on that wall.

My guess is that it was painted in the 1960s but I know for certain that prints of that painting became very popular with ordinary folk throughout Europe during the 1970s.

It was the sort of picture that was scorned by the "serious" art world but which was nevertheless much loved by everyday people like the Ropers.

That, combined with the fact that the Fourmiles next door would have derided it, is (I suggest) exactly why it was chosen as a prop for the show. Laughing out loud

My post ampersandgate post, from the George AND Mildred thread ?

So, watched the first episode "Moving On" from the box-set of ITV at 60 - Disc 11 (!), and this was the first offering of your "evening's viewing"

What a classic! And what a double act of Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce - absolutely hysterical, especially Murphy as the hapless George. So, so funny.

Throw in the brilliant Roy Kinnear as his dodgy mate Jerry, and the Foumiles next door (especially the gorgeous Sheila Fearn - I'm in love again), and you have a superb British sitcom.

LOVE IT!

A grown-up Tristram is on Pointless Celebs as we speak (and Jessica from Some Mothers...)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th November 2022, 2:37 PM

My post ampersandgate post, from the George AND Mildred thread ?

So, watched the first episode "Moving On" from the box-set of ITV at 60 - Disc 11 (!), and this was the first offering of your "evening's viewing"

What a classic! And what a double act of Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce - absolutely hysterical, especially Murphy as the hapless George. So, so funny.

Throw in the brilliant Roy Kinnear as his dodgy mate Jerry, and the Foumiles next door (especially the gorgeous Sheila Fearn - I'm in love again), and you have a superb British sitcom.

LOVE IT!

Me and Mr L have been watching the series in chronological order via itvX, although as a comedy purist I don't appreciate the cuts. A prime example of this was the baby/adoption issue where one of Ann's friends had adopted a daughter of colour who was sleeping in the hallway in a pram and George walks in the front door ... THEN - a huge cut to the living room!

The performances and scripts were excellent. Yootha was at the top of her game. I attempted to find a biography of her to find out more but the only one available seems to be a badly written self-published fan book, more's the pity.

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 12th August 2023, 10:37 AM

I attempted to find a biography of her to find out more but the only one available seems to be a badly written self-published fan book, more's the pity.

There's three books here, albeit all written by the same author:

https://amzn.to/47rnqFs

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 12th August 2023, 2:09 PM

There's three books here, albeit all written by the same author:

https://amzn.to/47rnqFs

Thanks, he's the only one isn't he? The reviews are patchy and it's £12.99 on Amazon.

I've finished watching all of the series now which ended with S5 Ep8 - a Christmas special. I cannot get past how bloody rude Jeffrey is to poor kind Mildred!?

It's really sad thinking that Yootha died so soon after the film wrapped. It is, however, touching that Brian Murphy was with her at the end.

Jeffery was definitely dodgy. In the precursor series M.A.T.H. He dated Chrissy while he was already married. Then married Chrissy as Robin's brother and blow me then married Anne in G&M. The man's a total philanderer.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th August 2023, 8:30 AM

Jeffery was definitely dodgy. In the precursor series M.A.T.H. He dated Chrissy while he was already married. Then married Chrissy as Robin's brother and blow me then married Anne in G&M. The man's a total philanderer.

He was a utter rotter and cad then! Yes, it was incredibly strange casting considering that GAM was a spin off from MATH. Chrissy and hubby didn't appear in Robin's Nest either, but maybe the Johnnie Cooke universe wasn't that comprehensive?

Norman Eshley was married to Millicent Martin IRL and Yootha to Dave from Minder. I love such trivia!

I won't hear a bad word said about Jeffery! He might be extremely rude and suppressed, but he is weirdly sexy.
Don't judge me.