I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,129

Quote: billwill @ 21st November 2019, 1:28 PM

I expect you are laughing fit-to-bust as back in 2005 etc you were the 'baddie'.

While finding that Pam email above I found another which said you had banned me from your forum. Odd that, I don't ever recall joining your forum.

If memory serves, almost everybody on that forum was a decent person. I certainly never had anything against you personally.

If memory continues to serve, the reason I banned you was that you joined my forum for the sole purpose of extracting information to help my "enemies" on another forum.

As I say, Bill, it was nothing personal but I wasn't having that. Laughing out loud

I have absolutely no doubt that many BCG readers who come across this little post will immediately fly to Google to check whether or not I'm winding them up.

David Walliams' new book hit the shelves today.

It's called "The Beast of Buckingham Palace". Laughing out loud

The BBC was as tactful as ever when it sent a journalist to interview residents in Finsbury Park about the recent flooding.

His name was James Waterhouse!

You couldn't make it up.

And I didn't. Laughing out loud

The reason I wouldn't make it up is it's a weak pun.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 21st November 2019, 9:06 PM

The reason I wouldn't make it up is it's a weak pun.

"And now, over to Finsbury Park where 50 families have been evacuated in the aftermath of a burst water main that has left several streets under a metre of water . . . and our correspondent, Terry Bull-Flood."

I think that might have been a little funnier (as a joke) - but when you're working with the truth, sometimes the comedy has to be what it is.

Also, of course, the imaginary fictional version might be deemed somewhat insensitive so soon after the incident although it might well get a laugh if sufficient time had elapsed between the tragedy and the joke.

Given the recency of the events, however, I think the factual link between the flooded homes and Mr Waterhouse when added to the fact that the butt of the joke is the BBC's insensitivity rather than the plight of the homeowners probably represents an acceptable ironic news item to most people - perhaps even to the flood victims themselves.

Sometimes, a weak joke about a tragedy can be helpful whereas a "better" joke so soon after an event is absolutely certain to give offence to a great many people.

All in all, I think the irony of the perfectly truthful news item is, under all circumstances, a good and acceptable item for the current affairs thread of a comedy forum.

Fans of The Crown may be interested to learn that Queen Elizabeth is to be portrayed by Imelda Staunton in series 5 and 6.

Imelda follows in the regal footsteps of Claire Foy and Olivia Colman in this excellent Netflix series.

I know the royal family (in real life) are not everybody's cup of Earl Grey but, when it comes to TV dramas and films, we're all used to seeing even the most dreadful characters portrayed for our entertainment. I see no reason, therefore, why most people shouldn't be thoroughly entertained by this series.

You can cheer the characters, or you can boo them. No matter how you react, you can sit back and enjoy one of the highest quality TV shows you're ever likely to see.

It's not short of comedy either. The scene in which Harold Wilson tells the queen about the almost unbelievably bawdy limericks Princess Margaret recited to President Lyndon Johnson at the White House is truly memorable.

Wonderful stuff!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd November 2019, 9:13 AM

you can sit back and enjoy one of the highest quality TV shows you're ever likely to see.

Leave it out. I aint seen any of it, apart from a "trailer" I just watched. It included "the Queen" saying: "This country was still great when I came to the throne. All that's happened on my watch is the place has fallen apart."

"On my watch?" Although it's an old nautical idiom, it didn't really gain massively common currency until around the time and place of US President George W. Bush. and his contemporaries (and has gained steam in the past 15 yrs). And the "this country was great" is a Trump line. Sounds absurd and impertinent to assume the Queen would use such ordinary language.

Does the program show a young prince Edward snogging the stable boy? Does it have a faithful re-enactment of the Royal Knockout telly show? Phil the Greek's affairs?

Quote: Kenneth @ 22nd November 2019, 6:03 PM

I aint seen any of it

I've never seen "Neighbours" or "Home and Away".

Still, each to his own (as they say). Laughing out loud

Amazing new photo of Billy The Kid has been revealed and is only the second confirmed photo of him. It's been put up for sale at £1m.

second on left

The way they are holding the cards makes me think they were posing to the camera for the photo as I doubt they would play poker with their cards exposed like that.

They were definitely posing, as photos of that era required long exposures and absolute stillness from the subjects.

It's an interesting photo.Does the winner get a glass of moonshine?

Quote: BTF @ 23rd November 2019, 12:25 AM

There are photos in the news today of Amy Hart from Love Island. She's having 100k spent on her teeth as she's been trolled about them and she says she's always wanted them 'fixed'. The thing is - her teeth look perfect to me. I haven't worked out how to put the photo on here but she has such a nice smile.

Here it is:

Thanks Rood.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd November 2019, 6:19 PM

I've never seen "Neighbours" or "Home and Away".

I point out that the dialogue in a soap about the royals doesn't ring authentic. And you respond by suggesting that I'm in the habit of watching Australian soaps.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st November 2019, 1:42 PM

If memory serves, almost everybody on that forum was a decent person. I certainly never had anything against you personally.

If memory continues to serve, the reason I banned you was that you joined my forum for the sole purpose of extracting information to help my "enemies" on another forum.

As I say, Bill, it was nothing personal but I wasn't having that Laughing out loud

It seems unlikely that I would bother to do that.