News Revue

I understand the News Revue accepts entries, however, I am based in the north and not likely to see a show, which is one of their requirements before submitting

Does anyone have a recording of the show? Or an accurate description so that I can offer them writing they might use.

Thanks all.

Hi
I have had material performed on it and never seen the show. You can Google the odd YouTube clip.

Insisting you've seen the show before submitting material sounds very much like demanding an upfront fee before they'll think about reading your stuff.

It's up to you, of course, but the one thing you really need to know: if you're ever invited to go down and meet them in person, be sure to wear a flat cap, clogs, and stick a couple of ferrets down your trousers - or they'll never believe you're a northerner! Laughing out loud

You don't have to have seen the show before submitting, but they recommend it. Partly I think because they get a lot of Newsjack-formatted sketches that don't really work in a live stage show.

I submitted lots and had lots in the show before I ever got down to London to watch it. Once I had seen it (and people on the writers mailing list can get free tickets for the show on Thursdays or Sundays), it did really help tailor my stuff. It's a bigger and naughtier show then Newsjack, they've got a small stage and limited props/costumes to work with, but it really helps to put some action and moving around into the material, shorter sketches tend to work better imo, especially those with shorter and snappier dialogue, you haven't got an intro cue like Newsjack (technically you could have one as voiceover but it doesn't work that well) so you need to work the news story you're referencing into the sketch itself. They've normally got actors who are good at impressions so good to get some real people in there. And as you'll know from the mailing list emails, they tend to get lots of brexit and politics stuff in general, so you've got a better chance with celeb and pop culture stuff.

Having said all that, I haven't submitted much at all for the last year or so (work, childcare, life) but I don't think it's changed much in that time.

To echo what Dantrobus said, if you can tune into the show's 'voice' it can definitely help. This link is a pretty good summary of the show (although as you can see it's quite song heavy) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKOXysmXaEc

For me, the key is to remember you're working with a cabaret style audience who've had a few drinks - so punchy, quick, near the knuckle, larger than life stuff works well, but as with all comedy you will need to have a clear target and message. Props and impressions are definitely encouraged.

If you're considering submitting songs, then the Treason Show has some great advice which applies to NewsRevue I think: https://www.treasonshow.co.uk/team/writeguide.shtml

Lastly, each 6 week 'run' has a difference Director - and they each have their own preferences. Some runs you'll swing and miss, other's you'll do well, so it's worth trying over a few months.

Hope that helps!
--
Dan P

Quote: Dantrobus @ 10th December 2019, 11:40 AM

You don't have to have seen the show before submitting, but they recommend it. Partly I think because they get a lot of Newsjack-formatted sketches that don't really work in a live stage show.

I submitted lots and had lots in the show before I ever got down to London to watch it. Once I had seen it (and people on the writers mailing list can get free tickets for the show on Thursdays or Sundays), it did really help tailor my stuff. It's a bigger and naughtier show then Newsjack, they've got a small stage and limited props/costumes to work with, but it really helps to put some action and moving around into the material, shorter sketches tend to work better imo, especially those with shorter and snappier dialogue, you haven't got an intro cue like Newsjack (technically you could have one as voiceover but it doesn't work that well) so you need to work the news story you're referencing into the sketch itself. They've normally got actors who are good at impressions so good to get some real people in there. And as you'll know from the mailing list emails, they tend to get lots of brexit and politics stuff in general, so you've got a better chance with celeb and pop culture stuff.

Having said all that, I haven't submitted much at all for the last year or so (work, childcare, life) but I don't think it's changed much in that time.

That is very helpful.

Quote: coiledslinky @ 11th December 2019, 10:22 PM

To echo what Dantrobus said, if you can tune into the show's 'voice' it can definitely help. This link is a pretty good summary of the show (although as you can see it's quite song heavy) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKOXysmXaEc

For me, the key is to remember you're working with a cabaret style audience who've had a few drinks - so punchy, quick, near the knuckle, larger than life stuff works well, but as with all comedy you will need to have a clear target and message. Props and impressions are definitely encouraged.

If you're considering submitting songs, then the Treason Show has some great advice which applies to NewsRevue I think: https://www.treasonshow.co.uk/team/writeguide.shtml

Lastly, each 6 week 'run' has a difference Director - and they each have their own preferences. Some runs you'll swing and miss, other's you'll do well, so it's worth trying over a few months.

Hope that helps!
--
Dan P

Also helpful.

Quote: coiledslinky @ 11th December 2019, 10:22 PM

Yeah Dan P makes a really good point here. Some Directors are a bit better at sending out regular requests to the mailing list with ideas for the types of material they're looking for which is really helpful. The cast also changes every six week run. Cast members can and do also write material for the show, so sometimes you can really struggle to get stuff on if they've got a cast in who are all good writers too.

I think the idea is to get a feel of what they want. I submitted a lot of stuff some years ago and then one of their producers liked my stuff and I got 3 pieces in one show although I'd never been and regrettably didn't see mine performed. I did go subsequently but haven't submitted much recently. You have to really try to write a few to get into the habit.

The Canal Cafe gets a namecheck in this week's quiz.

UPDATE: Here's the link to the video of the 19/3/2020 performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAHYXVkJEo

This Thursday will be the last Newsrevue for a while, as the Canal Cafe Theatre will be closing due to Coronavirus.

They are planning to live stream Thursday's performance though, so an opportunity for prospective writers outside London to see it and get a flavour of the show ready for whenever it's back.

Here's the full statement -
from https://www.facebook.com/canalcafetheatre/photos/a.854671674613443/2892347647512492/?type=1&theater

CANAL CAFÉ THEATRE UPDATED COVID-19 Response.

Canal Café Theatre is a small independent theatre that receives no funding.

Although the Canal Cafe Theatre feels that the directive given by the government is unclear, advising patrons to avoid theatres even though schools remain open, most theatres have already made the agonising decision to close.

At the time of writing, we will remain open for the performances this Thursday 19th March.

These performances will be Alice Marsall: Inchmickery at 7.30pm & NewsRevue at 9.30pm

After Thursday 19th March, the Canal Cafe Theatre will close until further notice.

This Thursday's NewsRevue will be live-streamed on our Facebook and Instagram. We are hard at work planning new ways to bring content to our audiences online - stay tuned for this!

For those of you who have tickets and are no longer able to attend in person, we will happily exchange your tickets for an indefinite future performance; we have been running for 40 years, we will be back! Similar to other theatres, we also request that if performances are cancelled, please consider not asking for a refund as our team and performers are some of the most vulnerable in the community and are now likely to face indefinite unemployment and even homelessness. A huge thank you to our incredible patrons who have already taken this option and donated or offered to reschedule their bookings.

If you enjoy coming to our theatre, here are two ways you can help:

GIFT VOUCHERS

Starting soon gift vouchers will be available for purchase on our website. These vouchers are redeemable against all future performances held at Canal Café Theatre and have no expiry date.

DONATIONS

We will also be accepting donations to the theatre via the 'donation's' link on the website.

Thank you for your understanding in these unprecedented times.

Be safe, Be well,

Emma, Shannon, Daisy, Sam, Edwina & Jason x

I gave up writing comedy many, many years ago, but remained on the NewsRevue mailing list for some reason.

Anyway, I decided to dust down my script writing fingers and submitted something to the podcast they're running in the live show's absence. And it got on, which was a nice boost to the ego. I sincerely doubt this is a return to my sketch writing days, but it was enjoyable working through a script again.

I kind of think that maybe my 20s were my time to be writing. Life was a lot simpler back then...